Connecting Steam Deck to BVM

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RebeL9

Connecting Steam Deck to BVM

Post by RebeL9 »

I've been intrigued to buy a Steam Deck for a while and what tickled my interest is that it can be practically be used as a beefed up Wii U. The fact that you can emulate 3DS and even use high resolution textures is fantastic, which opens up the entire 3DS library. My setup is that I play all "modern" HD consoles on my BVM D24 using a HD Fury 3.
Could I hook up a Steam Deck to my BVM using the HD Fury 3 the similiar way as a "Wii U". So say that I play 3DS games on the Steam Deck. The top screen outputting to the BVM and the bottom screen to the Steam Deck. Then the question arises about the charging. GameXData have made a video about outputting the Steam Deck this wireless using a HDMI dongle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBSaNJkoBlM
But you need a HQ signal for that all the time to not get any latency or loss of data.

So basically does anyone here output the Steam Deck to a BVM or similiar and what would the best solution out from the above scenario?
Specineff

Re: Connecting Steam Deck to BVM

Post by Specineff »

I have connected my Deck to my VGA monitor using an HD Fury 3, with no problems. Not so sure about the wireless stuff and the dual-screen setup, though. I get the feeling it depends more on the emulator you plan on using, as the deck is perfectly capable of dual displays in desktop mode.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Specineff wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:03 am I have connected my Deck to my VGA monitor using an HD Fury 3, with no problems. Not so sure about the wireless stuff and the dual-screen setup, though. I get the feeling it depends more on the emulator you plan on using, as the deck is perfectly capable of dual displays in desktop mode.
Nice to hear that it works fine with the HD Fury 3!
How do you solve the charging issue if you have hooked it up to your monitor at the same time?
Are you using a USB switch or something?
also what resolution have you set your steam deck to?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I'm using the official steam Deck Dock>HD-Fury>HP monitor with 1440 by 900 resolution. I don't use the deck in dual-display mode, btw.

Now, I assume you will be using the deck in your hands to mimic the lower part of a DS, right? Perhaps a USB-C extension cord will do the trick, if you're using a dock? As long as all the contacts are "relayed" to the other end, that should do the trick. (I should also try this so as not to use a controller when playing. Hmm.)
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.