VGA > BNC, cable or converter?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Alf

VGA > BNC, cable or converter?

Post by Alf »

So by going from an AMD/CRT emudriver combo to a BVM, is there any difference in quality when using either a VGA-BNC breakout cable or an Extron RGB interface?
The cable is working fine for me but would of course buy a cheap Extron if there was any benefit.
Gara

Re: VGA > BNC, cable or converter?

Post by Gara »

I like using the horizontal and vertical centering knobs on my Extron 203 RGB RXI with my Groovymame PC to center the image. Arcade games seem to need it pretty often. It otherwise does nothing I can observe to improve the image.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Also worth noting that Extron devices can introduce image flagging on certain Sony monitors when the centering controls are activated, making the feature useless. I think it's only an issue with the later RXI devices, and the earlier ones that only do horizontal centering do not have it. But don't quote me on that, it's been a long time since I messed with any of that stuff. I can say for sure though that the issue exists because I had it with a Sony
matt

Post by matt »

If it's not broken, don't fix it! The Extron is handy when you want to convert sync types, but otherwise there's not much benefit. The horizontal shift feature is neat, but with your BVM you can just make presets with different horizontal position values so there's no need for that.
Alf

Post by Alf »

Thank you all for your input.
Good to know there is no image quality to gain with an Extron over a breakout cable. Saves me some trouble and money at least :)