Assistance troubleshooting AA-2D I destroyed...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TheRetroCarrot

Assistance troubleshooting AA-2D I destroyed...

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

So I had a bit of an incident, RGB modded a kv32s42 to use in an arcade build, went to put the back panel back on and put the smallest bit of pressure on the s-video board and it snapped the A board. broke 6 traces clean through in 2 places, and quite a few more. Initially had horrible purity issues, no video on any input. I managed to run jumpers for the worst of it, and spliced a lot of breaks, tested them all for continuity after.

So far I've restored composite. Which shouldn't actually be a thing from what I understand, because I bridged the 2 sides of the s-video shield for the RGB mod. Color is restored to normal, so I feel like this disaster is almost at an end. Unfortunately I still have no s-video, (waiting on a scart cable but I'm assuming that will not be working if s-video isn't). Can somebody familiar with these sets walk me through how the s-video input change actually occurs? It may help me find my problem, other than just staring at traces all day, which I've spent a fair amount of time on. I'm sure I'm just missing one or 2 somewhere...

TheRetroCarrot

Re: Assistance troubleshooting AA-2D I destroyed...

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

So I got svideo working in black and white, no idea where my chroma information is dying, I have continuity all the way through as far as I can tell. That being said I have beautiful color through rgb now just no sync, if I can get it to sync then I'm good to go....

Edit: I missed a trace further down causing my sync issues, chroma issues I just went to the wrong side of a resistor. Everything works, svideo and rgb. 15 hours of pain staring at this board finding and fixing 20+ traces. I'm never waking up again.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

lol glad you got it, and learned a bit in the process as well. Mind if I ask what kind of cab you are using that can handle a 32" Trinitron? Thats a big boy.
TheRetroCarrot

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

Josh128 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:52 am lol glad you got it, and learned a bit in the process as well. Mind if I ask what kind of cab you are using that can handle a 32" Trinitron? Thats a big boy.
I'll be posting the final cad designs on arcadecontrols soon. It's going to spin too haha. Also I worked on this so late yesterday I didn't even notice I clicked report instead of reply lol, the moderators are going to be confused... I learned a fair amount during this process, I have a lot of experience making things, but when it comes to how video signals are actually displayed I have only a rudimentary understanding.

https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index. ... 410.0.html