USB hub question

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
neorichieb1971

USB hub question

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hi,

I could just ask on amazon, but asking here makes more sense since you know its for charging devices gamers use.

I want a USB hub but exclusively for charging only. I've put a desk together that basically runs an Evercade VS, Analogue Duo and I've gone and got some USB powered PC speakers which work really well in stereo.

I already have a power socket on top of the desk which supports 2 mains plugs, 2 USB-A with an 18W rating each I guess. Not sure if its each or shared.

Most USB hubs seem to be designed to take power from a laptop, but I'm only interested in power.

So this is what I was thinking -

A) Link a new USB hub to the 18W output of the mains socket on the desk
B) Buy a powered USB hub that goes into the mains, and run everything from that.

So 1) will that work for Evercade VS and Analogue Duo? Probably will run them one at a time mostly.

2) Are all USB sockets on hubs powered? The websites go to great lengths specifying data/power and that some are power only, but it doesn't say if the data sockets are power as well!!!!

I was looking at this one -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powered-Extens ... _hp_d&th=1

Or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09 ... VZ2L&psc=1

Thanks.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: USB hub question

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For neorichie1971,

Your powered usb hub choice #1 on amazon already comes with a lifetime warranty -- just scan the QR and you're good to go (or if this doesn't work, just e-mail the manufacturer and that'll do the trick to enable the full lifetime warranty). This might be a deal breaker with you if you care about having a full lifetime warranty with a powered usb hub.

As for question #2, yes all usb ports on a hub are powered -- so feel free to plug in to your heart's content.

For example, I plug my Steam Deck into a Baseus 65w 20000mah power bank and it runs for a good while (whereas if I ran the Steam Deck without the above mentioned power bank, it's internal lithium-ion battery pack will drain quite fast -- even moreso if wi-fi is activated and running a "Triple AAA Steam game title at the same time, it'll drain even quicker). As it is, the Steam Deck is quite a "power hungry beast" -- keep it "well-fed" & it'll be quite happy in the long run.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
neorichieb1971

Re: USB hub question

Post by neorichieb1971 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am For neorichie1971,

Your powered usb hub choice #1 on amazon already comes with a lifetime warranty -- just scan the QR and you're good to go (or if this doesn't work, just e-mail the manufacturer and that'll do the trick to enable the full lifetime warranty). This might be a deal breaker with you if you care about having a full lifetime warranty with a powered usb hub.

As for question #2, yes all usb ports on a hub are powered -- so feel free to plug in to your heart's content.

For example, I plug my Steam Deck into a Baseus 65w 20000mah power bank and it runs for a good while (whereas if I ran the Steam Deck without the above mentioned power bank, it's internal lithium-ion battery pack will drain quite fast -- even moreso if wi-fi is activated and running a "Triple AAA Steam game title at the same time, it'll drain even quicker). As it is, the Steam Deck is quite a "power hungry beast" -- keep it "well-fed" & it'll be quite happy in the long run.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Thank you. I will probably get the one with 2 USB-c as I believe from reports it generates more power. Also the Duo runs off of USB-C.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.