Vendex VGA CRT Monitor Issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
chjmartin2a

Vendex VGA CRT Monitor Issue

Post by chjmartin2a »

Hi,

I have a VGA CRT monitor that I want to use. Unfortunately, it randomly turns off and then back on, without any predictability. I removed the power board and saw a bulged capacitor. I replaced all 7 caps on the power board. I left the main board alone. The picture seems brighter when it is turned on but it still randomly shuts off. I tested the switch which is just a mechanical switch and I have relatively high confidence that the switch is fine. When I saw shuts off, the LED on the front shuts off and you get that squeaky familiar CRT turning on or off sound. My next move would be to replace the switch and also replace the other electrolytic caps on the main board, but now I am just shooting in the dark. Any feedback on what I should test or do to try to isolate the issue better?

Thanks,

Chris
thchardcore

Re: Vendex VGA CRT Monitor Issue

Post by thchardcore »

Did you inspect the flyback joints and all vertical ICs? Anything mounted to a heatsink is usually the first to exhibit problems with solder points from my experience.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

^
Agree. Sounds like a solder joint problem. As the unit runs, cracked solder joints that are barely making contact expand causing them to open. When they cool from the unit turning off, they may make contact again and power the unit back on. Without much else to go on , I would pull the mainboard and inspect closely with a magnifying glass all the solder joints. Reflow everything that looks even remotely suspect.

I think its very unlikely that its an IC or cap itself causing this type of issue, more likely their solder joints.
chjmartin2a

Post by chjmartin2a »

Thank you. I am going to try that. Now that you have said it, it makes sense.
chjmartin2a

Post by chjmartin2a »

I am pretty sure that this is something happening on the powerboard as when it shuts off the voltages coming off of the power board are all far too low. I thought it was that the rectifier had a cold solder joint because it felt like if I moved it that it would go back on, but after reflowing the solder it didn't fix it. I think I am just going to reflow every connection. When it does go off I convince myself that flexing the board, or tapping on it makes a difference, but I am not sure. Do you think that if when it "turns off" that the voltages coming off the board are too low is a good indication that the problem is with the power board and not the main board?
chjmartin2a

Post by chjmartin2a »

If I had to be a technician to make a living then my family would starve. I reflowed every bit of solder on the power board. I need to take it apart further and go to the main board.

Ugh...