B&O Beovision 1 Format (Aspect Ratio) Default

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
raster

B&O Beovision 1 Format (Aspect Ratio) Default

Post by raster »

I love my Beovision 1. However, any time I select an AV socket the picture defaults to Format 2 (16:9 widescreen) and I need to use the remote to set it to Format 1. However according to all the B&O service manuals I can find, the default is supposed to be Format 1, and the settings have no way of being saved after turning the television off. Does anyone know if there's a hidden setting in the service menu, a jumper on one of the PCBs, anything, that can solve me having to do this all the time?

Edit: Playing with it some more, I've noticed that 60hz SCART Composite signals are automatically set to Format 1. It's the RGB SCART signals that are being interpereted as Format 2. Hopefully something can be done about that.
kamiboy

Re: B&O Beovision 1 Format (Aspect Ratio) Default

Post by kamiboy »

This is due to SCART specifications, according to which, a certain voltage is supposed to be applied to a certain pin on the SCART input to tell the TV which format the signal is in, 4:3 or 16:9. Most systems and SCART cables have the wrong voltage applied to said pin, which tells the TV that it the signal is in 16:9, so it switches to that. This only applies to RGB sources, which is why you only see it then.

There is no easy solution I am afraid as the voltage you need to apply, which eludes me, is above 5V, which is the voltage you most often have available for just about any console. A notable exception is the Playstation, which if memory serves me well, does output the correct voltage on the right pin, if you have a cable that actually carries it, which means you are blessed with. 4:3 when turning on said system.

How to fix it? Well, I suppose you could do an internal mod to your TV and route the appropriate voltage to said pin internally, at all time. Or you could modify the SCART enclosures with either a pumpup thingamajig whose name eludes, that takes 5V and somehow outputs a higher voltage, or put in a battery with appropriate voltage into the housing. Mind you, you would have to do that with every cable you want to use.

I do so wish outputting the correct voltage on said pin was a feature of all these SCART switches available to buy, would make things more convenient, alas. As for me, I just grab the remote and switch to 1 every single time, sigh.
raster

Post by raster »

Thanks for the indepth explanation! I'll keep grabbing the remote as well.
strayan

Post by strayan »

You can buy a cheap scart switch, open it up and disconnect pin 8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nowCy8ZaZlc