Wii U is an underrated console

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RebeL9

Wii U is an underrated console

Post by RebeL9 »

A while ago I bought a cheap Wii U and bought component cables with it. My intention was to hook it up to my Sony BVM D24 and BVM 20F1E.
It's a surprisingly good console for retro games since its powerful enough to emulate most retro consoles. But best of all it also allows you to play the vast majority of the Nintendo DS library and by using the Wii U gamepad as the touch screen of the DS works surprisingly well. Here's a compatibility list of games that's been tested to work: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiU_VC_NDS_injection
Wii U supports both 4:3 and 16:9 and resolutions from 480i all the way up to 1080p. The homebrew community is fairly active, although not as active as on the PS Vita. Even though Nintendo recently closed down their E-shop for Wii U the homebrew community have set up an alternative homebrew shop which allows you to download the entire Wii U catalogue. The download speeds are not great though and not at all as fast as PKGJ on the Vita (which I also have experience from).
One bummer is that DS never got many good shmups. The two Nanostray games have graphical issues and aren't that great to begin with. But Ketsui Death Label works fine and thats a really cool one. It's also been patched to English.
I've also noticed that Wii U have started to climb in prices in recent time as more and more people discover that its a great retro emulation console. Grab one before they become the new Vita TV which went from $20 brand new to costing $200 when people found out that its a great emulation beast with lots of homebrews.
fernan1234

Re: Wii U is an underrated console

Post by fernan1234 »

Always use original hardware. Accept no compromises.

But seriously though, the WiiU is indeed pretty neat. No one should use it to play Wii/GC though as the video output for it is crap. Same with official VC titles. But it does do very well for DS games, that's its biggest strength after its own library (which is much more decent than most people used to say). Time will tell if more and better homebrew comes to this console.
RebeL9

Re: Wii U is an underrated console

Post by RebeL9 »

fernan1234 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:30 am Always use original hardware. Accept no compromises.

But seriously though, the WiiU is indeed pretty neat. No one should use it to play Wii/GC though as the video output for it is crap. Same with official VC titles. But it does do very well for DS games, that's its biggest strength after its own library (which is much more decent than most people used to say). Time will tell if more and better homebrew comes to this console.
I agree with you regarding GC and Wii. I wouldnt recommend anyone to replace their Wii and GC with a Wii U.
But the cool thing with Wii U is apart from the DS compatability that its the last console from Nintendo that supported SD resolutions during the HD era. Heck you can even use a pair of composite on it :D