PAL Crystal oscillator SUCKS, which consoles have one?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DAWGmacklemore

PAL Crystal oscillator SUCKS, which consoles have one?

Post by DAWGmacklemore »

As well all know 50hz is a terror and playing NTSC games on our PAL consoles is an attractive option.

However even when playing import games, the PAL oscillator of the ps1 for example cant display the NTSC signal correctly.

''playing a NTSC-game on a NTSC-PS1, the video will have a vertical frequency of 59.82Hz (close to the standard 59.94Hz).
But playing a NTSC-game on a PAL-PS1, due to the different GPU-clock, the vertical frequency is 59.27Hz. This can lead to the image being too high/low or the screen not syncing at all, or the game not working properly at all (e.g. several Dance Dance Revolution games).''
Source: https://github.com/socram8888/tonyhax/issues/25

So this crystal issue leads to what I assume is 1% slowdown or thereabouts, and all the other issues mentioned on that github thread. My question is what consoles suffer from this?
I was considering buying a PAL Xbox to play some NTSC discs for example, and now I'm having second thoughts about that and my current PAL consoles.

So my important question is,
Which PAL consoles have this PAL frequency oscillator, and which ones have dual oscillators/NTSC oscillators.

This is important for playing games properly at 60hz, it might be that I have to import a console to play NTSC games properly. Also is there any distinguishment between NTSC-J/NTSC-U consoles and their video?
Konsolkongen

Re: PAL Crystal oscillator SUCKS, which consoles have one?

Post by Konsolkongen »

As far as I know it only applies to consoles prior to the sixth generation. The only exception is that playing NTSC PS1 games on a PAL PS2 will have the same inaccurate frequency that you mention. NTSC PS2 games on a PAL PS2 do run correctly.

Dreamcast run games properly and I’m pretty sure that GameCube and Xbox do as well. Proper 59.94Hz.

I’ve been super bummed about the wrong PS1 speed too, so I have imported a JAP PS1 and a US PS2 for that reason.
DAWGmacklemore

Post by DAWGmacklemore »

>Dreamcast run games properly and I’m pretty sure that GameCube and Xbox do as well. Proper 59.94Hz.

I wonder if this is the case for all consoles that support 60hz, hopefully engineers were wise enough in all cases not to introduce a problem with a PAL oscillator
Last edited by DAWGmacklemore on Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAWGmacklemore

Post by DAWGmacklemore »

Also I want to ask, how would I test vertical refresh on my consoles empirically? Is there a particular (cheap) tool I can get?
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Ossc does the job
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

This can be corrected with a DFO (Dual frequency Oscillator). Consoles unleashed make them for most systems.

https://www.consolesunleashed.com/produ ... r-mod-kit/

Out of stock at the min but they come back fairly regularly.
drojman

Post by drojman »

I installed one of those Console Unleashed ones for the PS1 I have here for that very reason. Works well.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Konsolkongen wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:29 pm The only exception is that playing NTSC PS1 games on a PAL PS2 will have the same inaccurate frequency that you mention. NTSC PS2 games on a PAL PS2 do run correctly.

I’ve been super bummed about the wrong PS1 speed too, so I have imported a JAP PS1 and a US PS2 for that reason.
Use Video Mode Negator for PS2 to play PS1 games at the correct speed and save yourself some $. https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps1vm ... p193.25050
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Syntax wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:00 pm
Konsolkongen wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:29 pm The only exception is that playing NTSC PS1 games on a PAL PS2 will have the same inaccurate frequency that you mention. NTSC PS2 games on a PAL PS2 do run correctly.

Use Video Mode Negator for PS2 to play PS1 games at the correct speed and save yourself some $. https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps1vm ... p193.25050
It doesn’t work properly though on a PAL console (50004 and 39004 tested). IIRC you have to launch into uLaunchELF > open the browser > open the disc directory for the NTSC PS1-game > then navigate back to where you keep ps1modeneg and launch that. Only then will it actually boot the game disc, and to make matters worse it only works with one specific version of the program (which isn’t the newest).
It’s a huge pain to use and I found myself forgetting the correct procedure often when I wanted to use it, so I just abandoned it.

I don’t know why it works like that. I was in contact with sp193 but I think he said that he didn’t have a PAL console to test with, and that it worked properly (just run the software from FMCB) on his NTSC consoles.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I found the same issues, that is until I made it auto boot into negator on starting the PS2 if holding D-Pad Left, via the OSD menu config screen.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Syntax wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:02 am I found the same issues, that is until I made it auto boot into negator on starting the PS2 if holding D-Pad Left, via the OSD menu config screen.
I think I tried that too, but maybe it didn’t work because of the modchip I was using. I seem to remember having to find a DMS4 Pro chip and installing that before I could get it to work at all.

Which one do you have installed?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

MODBO 4 and 5.
The same ps2 barely ever boot PS1 games unless I hold circle on launch.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Syntax wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:01 pm MODBO 4 and 5.
The same ps2 barely ever boot PS1 games unless I hold circle on launch.
So you have to hold circle at power on and then left when FMCB launches to quickload the app?

Those PS2 modchips were a pain in the butt :(

Is there a way to load imports without them?