About Extron CrossPoint and C-Sync

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Virtual_Tintin

About Extron CrossPoint and C-Sync

Post by Virtual_Tintin »

hey !

I intend to buy an extron crosspoint, and I have some c-sync consoles, but with luma cables.

so, do they work ? it’s sync into consoles, or sync into cables which prevails ?

thanks all !
DaChort

Re: About Extron CrossPoint and C-Sync

Post by DaChort »

The extron crosspoint should be compatible with both modes.

Per the manual:
Each series offers two models: HV for switching RGBHV signals, and HVA models for switching RGBHV and two-channel stereo audio (balanced and unbalanced). All models also switch RGBS, RGsB, RsGsBs, HDTV, component video, S-video, and composite video (figure 1-1). The audio switching can either be linked with the video (audio follow) or independent of the video (audio breakaway). Adjustable audio gain and attenuation compensates for level differences between audio inputs.
What it will not do is convert modes for you. It will just pass through what the console is generating. If you want to convert the sync you'll need a separate sync processor like an Extron Rxi https://www.retrorgb.com/extronrxi.html
charlizardon

Post by charlizardon »

You need CSync (RGBS) for Extron equipment, sync on composite/luma won't work unfortunately.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Virtual_Tintin wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:17 am I intend to buy an extron crosspoint, and I have some c-sync consoles, but with luma cables.
"Sync on luma" RGB cables, as in what the Playstation 1 & 2 commonly use?

Those will need a sync stripper to work with the Extron Crosspoint. Places like RetroGamingCables.co.uk sells this cable as a "csync" cable, which has the sync stripper already built-in. You can also buy a cheap like $7 USD Sync Stripper kit from places like Console5.com, and install it inside the SCART head yourself (light soldering required). External sync strippers also exist, but would be pricy if you need a bunch of them (proper pre-made CSYNC cable is still way cheaper I think).