PC Engine cd-rom gear

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
AlivE

PC Engine cd-rom gear

Post by AlivE »

Hey guys.
This gear is missing on my CD-Rom (under the spoiler). Does anyone have a model for printing?
Spoiler
kamiboy

Re: PC Engine cd-rom gear

Post by kamiboy »

These were being 3D printed as far back as I can remember, try searching open source 3D model repositories, I know there are a few. I bet you several exists on there.

Edit:

https://www.printables.com/model/79121- ... ement-gear
Tak-MK

Post by Tak-MK »

kamiboy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:45 am These were being 3D printed as far back as I can remember, try searching open source 3D model repositories, I know there are a few. I bet you several exists on there.

Edit:

Sadly that's the middle one that is broken on all units at this point, but the OP asks for the one under it... I've never seen that one broken or missing at all so I guess it's going to be more difficult to get some 3d model...
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Oh, yeah, I guess that one breaking is quite a rare occurrence. Your best bet would prolly be to contract someone to make a replacement 3D model for printing. Someone with a bit of experience and access to the gear, even a broken one, should be able to make one in a 3D modelling program of choice. It might even be possible to make one from high quality reference photos as long as they have some reference point for scale.
AlivE

Post by AlivE »

Tak-MK wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:00 am
kamiboy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:45 am These were being 3D printed as far back as I can remember, try searching open source 3D model repositories, I know there are a few. I bet you several exists on there.

Edit:

Sadly that's the middle one that is broken on all units at this point, but the OP asks for the one under it... I've never seen that one broken or missing at all so I guess it's going to be more difficult to get some 3d model...
I can make a model, but I don't have the original gear to accurately measure the dimensions.
And I can print it only once at work, using an SLA printer
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Then maybe someone here would volunteer to measure theirs. Still, the chances of getting it right on first try in such a roundabout way is quite slim.
Tak-MK

Post by Tak-MK »

I can try to make some measurements from mine, although I don't know how to properly measure the "spikes" part...
AlivE

Post by AlivE »

I'll try to make a test model myself. Found some useful information. I'll post the results later.
Spoiler
BuffaloWing

Post by BuffaloWing »

AlivE wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:46 pm I'll try to make a test model myself. Found some useful information. I'll post the results later.
Spoiler
You might want to use Dreamcast's gear. I have a broken laser on top of my desk and took some measurements. It has 14 teeth like your picture, so it seems like that maybe a standard... Anyway, the diameter is 4.76mm (probably 4.75m theoretically), overall length along the axial of the motor shaft is 5mm and the gear portion take up 2.5mm of the overall length. The motor shaft measures 1.48mm (probably should be 1.5mm).
AlivE

Post by AlivE »

BuffaloWing wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:41 am
AlivE wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:46 pm I'll try to make a test model myself. Found some useful information. I'll post the results later.
Spoiler
You might want to use Dreamcast's gear. I have a broken laser on top of my desk and took some measurements. It has 14 teeth like your picture, so it seems like that maybe a standard... Anyway, the diameter is 4.76mm (probably 4.75m theoretically), overall length along the axial of the motor shaft is 5mm and the gear portion take up 2.5mm of the overall length. The motor shaft measures 1.48mm (probably should be 1.5mm).
It's very close, but the diameter is larger than necessary.
However, now I have a reference, I will model several options and try to print it tomorrow.
Spoiler
AlivE

Post by AlivE »

So I printed out the gears in several sizes. In my opinion, the best fit was 4.35mm in diameter. The CD-Rom works, but the sound is interrupted.
Could this be a mispositioning of the laser head due to an incorrect gear? Or can this be fixed by adjusting the potentiometers?
Demonstration of the problem here.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I would strongly advise caution if planning to play with pots. Unless you know what you are doing, laser pots, especially when plural, are a nightmare to adjust right. Chances are good the problem is the gear. Also the old CD-ROM2 drives were notoriously finicky, audio drop outs are to be expected unless you have a mint unit, even then they prolly worked best when actually fresh out of the factory and even, even then they weren't all that great.

If you do try to adjust the pots make sure to mark exactly where they were from the factory so you can at least go back to that.