Bizarre new (RCA) RGBS & YPbPr to HDMI scaler

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Bizarre new (RCA) RGBS & YPbPr to HDMI scaler

Post by kitty666cats »

https://a.co/d/0bUbxhS

I somehow chanced upon this on Amazon earlier today, not even looking for anything remotely similar. I may not even have been on Amazon at all, and just happened to miraculously see it whilst searching for something else.

This thing is so odd! Off the top of my head, it doesn’t appear to be a ripoff of anything else. But perhaps a re-imagining?

Personally, my main guess is that it may be a ‘universal’ re-design of this Kaico HDMI adapter for PS2 that happens to have a RGB/YPbPr switch on it.

My second (with a strong gut feeling it’s extremely unlikely) is that this could be a pretty significant re-design of one of those super shitty RGB SCART to HDMI converters, only with the input connection completely changed and an added addition for YPbPr input.

Hell, this could even be an *original* device, which would be a tad wild to me. It’s clearly designed for those abundant Chinese RCA RGBS cables that you can find all over eBay, AliEx & perhaps even Amazon at this point. Those cables ain’t too shabby, btw.

If any adventurous madman here decides to pick one up and try it out, obviously many of us would be quite curious to hear your thoughts!
Guspaz

Re: Bizarre new (RCA) RGBS & YPbPr to HDMI scaler

Post by Guspaz »

Looks like a generic single-chip solution that are a dime a dozen on Amazon, probably similar to all the millions of other component to HDMI converters you'll find on Amazon for similar prices, the only real difference is the physical switch for RGBS, which is probably just turning the chip's conversion step on or off.

I would expect similar performance to all the other similar scalers: mediocre image quality, good but laggy deinterlacing, mishandling of 240p content as if it were 480i.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Interesting that it comes with a ps* rgbs/ypbpr cable. Lots of emphasis on 240p in the description. "Compatible" could be interpreted any number of ways and may be exactly as @guspaz suggests - mishandled. But, the emphasis on 240p seems to imply it isnt mistreated. And that lends to the theory that it's a re-imagined version of those cheap scart/hdmi to hdmi scalers. I'm mildly intrigued. :)
Last edited by NoAffinity on Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Guspaz wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:48 pmI would expect similar performance to all the other similar scalers: mediocre image quality, good but laggy deinterlacing, mishandling of 240p content as if it were 480i.
The listing literally touts the fact that 240p is properly supported, lol
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

It also notes only 720p and 1080p output. Doubtful it's doing anything as clever as preserving 4:3 on a 16:9 canvas, so its probably all stretched.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

NoAffinity wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:27 pm Interesting that it comes with a ps* rgbs/ypbpr cable. Lots of emphasis on 240p in the description. "Compatible" could be interpreted any number of ways and may be exactly as @guspaz suggests - mishandled. But, the emphasis on 240p seems to imply it isnt mistreated. Snd that lends to the theory that it's a re-imagine version of those cheap scart/hdmi to hdmi scalers. I'm mildly intrigued. :)
My feeling that it could possibly be a slight redesign of that classic cruddy SCART to HDMI is the physical 720p/1080p. As anyone who’s used the thing knows, it’s got a decent amount of other resolutions too. But that’s the only similarity, really.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

kitty666cats wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:50 pmThe listing literally touts the fact that 240p is properly supported, lol
It doesn't actually say that, it just says "compatible with [...] 240p" and "can easily convert 240p". And all of that would still be true if it treats 240p as 480i, as most of these types of devices do. The type of audience these things target isn't going to notice the deinterlacing artifacts on 240p content. I mean, they also show "480i/p" coming out of a psone.