Which cables do I need? (Retro Access)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Which cables do I need? (Retro Access)

Post by shmupsrocks »

I hadn't seen the Retro Access Twitter account for awhile but it looks like she is shipping which is great. I'd like to place an order but I'm not sure what I need.

I have a BVM and PC CRT and I'd like to connect an OMVS, Genesis, Dreamcast, and MiSTer without a scaler. I figure that means OMVS and Genesis into the BVM. Dreamcast into the PC CRT but maybe also into the BVM. MiSTer into the BVM but also into the PC CRT since it has an integrated scaler anyway.

Which Retro Access cables would you buy for this? My BVM only has one set of RGB inputs but I think I can install 3 more cards in order to connect all 4 devices?

How best to switch the Dreamcast and MiSTer between PC CRT and BVM without swapping cables around? Maybe get SCART ends on those cables and connect them to some kind of SCART switcher that can switch between VGA and BNC on the other side?
tongshadow

Re: Which cables do I need? (Retro Access)

Post by tongshadow »

Buy this card and save yourself from further headaches.
https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product/bkm-68xtreme/
shmupsrocks

Re: Which cables do I need? (Retro Access)

Post by shmupsrocks »

That card looks great. I've heard about the sync issues with the old version but it sounds like this one has better compatibility. Can you switch between inputs on a single card or do you need a separate card for each source?

How best to juggle my 4 sources across 2 displays? The OMVS and Genesis only need to go into the BVM so maybe just 2 sets of RGB BNC connections there.

The Dreamcast and MiSTer are tricky because I'd like to connect both sources to both displays but maybe that isn't feasible. I could do Dreamcast VGA into PC CRT and MiSTer BNC/SCART into BVM and call it a day.