Safest larger size for TATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Safest larger size for TATE

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I am using a 20 inch Toshiba TV for my TATE needs, and it works great. However, there's always the thought of "well, what if this breaks down".
I have 4 working 27 inch Sony Trinitrons. I was thinking about using one of those if that happened, but I'm a little concerned about the side not being suited for holding the weight. I think it's like 60 pounds.

I've read a few Reddit posts, and saw some YT vids, and people seem not to have any problems with it. One guy did say the speaker part started to bulge, though.

What do you guys think? Is a 27 inch Trinitron up to the task?
Dochartaigh

Re: Safest larger size for TATE

Post by Dochartaigh »

I had no problem running this 27" FV310 in TATE for probably two years total so far (not constantly –- I switched back and forth with different setups, but prob ~2 years total time). Had a piece of dense nautical foam under it to keep it at that angle. No issues I'm aware of. These are 105 pounds I believe, not 60 fyi. Also, the plastic of these they say is stronger than the previous black-plastic generation, and don't know which exact Sony CRT you have though...

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Thanks for the input. They seem to be made of stern stuff.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Yeah totally fine... 29" ones on side for like 10 years.

The bottom side case flexes but frame tube and nick are fine... TV speaker always seemed fine... But no point using anyways.

Usual thing only tilt after turning off.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

I ran 2 36" Sony Wegas in Tate with no issue. They are BIG boys (220 and 240lbs) and I leaned them on a wall. No issues at all.

Funny story, while in normal mode, the table one was on broke, causing the TV to fall on its back, breaking my component cables inside the set. Now I cannot get the blue cable tip out, so I have to half plug in the replacement. One day I'll figure out how to dig it out, but I can't desolder the whole thing b/c it's plastic soldered and would likely ruin the thing if I actually took it apart.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

most of the time those pins have a plastic core.
Heat up a needle tip red hot with a lighter, press it into the pins center a little, let it set and pull out :)