What is the deal with these two different 1941 Counter Attack PCBs?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Steven

What is the deal with these two different 1941 Counter Attack PCBs?

Post by Steven »

I'm looking for this PCB and today I found two of them, but they look quite different and are priced very differently.

First is this one, which is the expensive one
Spoiler
Then there is this one, which is 1/3 of the price of the other one and looks... bootleg as fuck, if I'm being honest.
Spoiler
I don't know anything about this arcade hardware, so any advice, or confirmation that one or both of them are bootlegs, would be greatly appreciated! Both are supposed to be the Japanese version.
neorichieb1971

Re: What is the deal with these two different 1941 Counter Attack PCBs?

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The obvious is that sockets 5+ are not used on the expensive one.

The cheaper one probably does the exact same without all the unused sockets.

I think you are right about the 2nd being a bootleg. For a start the Capcom logo looks off and it doesn't say "Made in Japan" anywhere on it.

Japanese always write Made in Japan on their stuff.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'd suspect the second one is a bootleg too based on two factors:

1) Every repair log and sale pic I found online resembles the first one with all the extra sockets on the board.

2) The suspected bootleg has Capcom stickers on the chips, and has Capcom printed on the boards... but is conspicuously missing any chips with Capcom printed on it, which would presumably be harder to get done for a bootleg?

edit: yeah, the board is labelled PCB-2022 but just because a number looks suspect it's possible it's a coincidence and isn't a year or date code
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think theres also a good chance the PCB dated as 2022 isn't original. Probably just stole the cps mobo from a cheaper game and made a super basic Rom board reproduction. The smaller daughterboard looks real at a glance though.
MKL

Post by MKL »

The first one is the second release ("reissue") of the Japanese version as it uses the JEDEC EPROM B-board and a C-board with the CPS-B-21 chip. Still a 100% legit Capcom product (the same can't be said for the second one).