New 2024 OLEDs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guspaz

Re: New 2024 OLEDs

Post by Guspaz »

I mean, yes, it would be a lower density, but the problem, as I understand it, is positioning and soldering millions of individual LEDs without any failures, and it's not clear to me that doing that for ~2 million units is any easier than for ~8 million. In either case it's completely non-viable for a normal pick and place machine. Be it 2 or 8 or 32 million LEDs (assuming they're one tricolor LED per pixel), you still have to solve the same problem.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

What SIGNIFICANT advantages would MicroLED bring over OLED? I fail to see the hype and worth waiting for.
Considering how fast OLEDs are evolving, how would this future MicroLED display compete with in price? Everything comes down to this, if it's only 10% better but 1000% more expensive, it will be dead on arrival.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Better efficiency, significantly brighter, not susceptible to burn-in. Basically, merge the advantages of OLEDs and LED-backlit LCDs.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

BazookaBen wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:39 am
bobrocks95 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:51 am Even my B9 still looks wonderful but it lacks a little punch these days.
Doesn't the B9 have 120hz BFI? I know the C9 does.

I'd hate to give that up. LG got rid of it in the C1 series and haven't brought it back
Could have sworn the 4k120hz was introduced with the CX line. Either way, I think some of the new monitors will have BFI, just not sure at what speeds.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Josh128 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:42 pm
tacoguy64 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:38 am
IMO it's still all not worth bothering with, OLED is a dead end technology. I'll just wait until a good enough miniLED which seems to be around the corner, until QNEL or whatever they're calling it now arrives.
Highly disagree, lots of great pro's to OLEDs at this time. While yes, the technology is a "dead end", the same way plasma TVs were, I think people might be missing out on some nice displays if they decide to wait for the next big thing. Also there is no telling how long it will be till the next great tech becomes affordable to the masses. It feels like we have come a long ways since the last days of the CRTs, but we all know, modern displays still have a ways to go before they can even match CRTs in certain areas.
This is precisely correct. A lot of people think we have come a long way since plasma production ceased, but we really havent. Just recently, I have been watching some football and a few movies on my bedroom 2014 Samsung 60" plasma in the late evenings and the picture quality still blows me away-- even with the pentile matrix subpixels and 1080p res. In a controlled lighting room this "old tech" is still absolutely amazing due to the combination of color reproduction, motion clarity, and per-pixel lighting / contrast.

WOLED and QD-OLEDs have made great strides at 4K, but if a "theoretical" 1080p or 1440p Micro-LED could be more easily produced, I would buy one in an instant. It seems that at this point, they could quite easily produce up to 60" 1080p MicroLEDs, but never will because "4K!!". Rather, they will hold back the tech until 4K is within reach and then milk the hell out of it.
It probably has a lot more things going against it than not selling something at 4k. I mean there are still plenty of monitors out there selling just fine with 1080p/1440p resolutions. I have a feeling that manufacturing cost, and scale is what is really holding back micro LED. Once they get the yields right, and the cost down, that is when we will finally start seeing them. Just no telling how long it will be taking. TV tech is kinda slow in progression. I mean OLEDs have been around for what seems like almost 10 years now but we are barely starting to get decent, affordable, PC monitors out of them.

At least with micro LEDs, they will theoretically make better PC monitors, but if we look at the way how OLEDs developed, it could be even more years before we even get smaller monitor size out of micro LED tech.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

tongshadow wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:58 pm What SIGNIFICANT advantages would MicroLED bring over OLED? I fail to see the hype and worth waiting for.
Considering how fast OLEDs are evolving, how would this future MicroLED display compete with in price? Everything comes down to this, if it's only 10% better but 1000% more expensive, it will be dead on arrival.
Guspaz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:20 pm Better efficiency, significantly brighter, not susceptible to burn-in. Basically, merge the advantages of OLEDs and LED-backlit LCDs.
Agreed on the pricing front, even with these advantages, if they can't get the pricing right, I don't see the tech taking off.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Guspaz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:20 pm Better efficiency, significantly brighter, not susceptible to burn-in. Basically, merge the advantages of OLEDs and LED-backlit LCDs.
I dont really buy the claim that they wont be susceptible to burn in at all. Less susceptible, sure, I can believe, but there is talk that quantum dots or phosphors may be used to reduce design complexity. If they are used, then burn in susceptibility will again eventually be an issue.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Not impressed at all by MicroLED, call me when an impulse-driven display that doesnt have sample and hold blur while having all advantages of OLEDs is in the plans.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

QDEL seems to be the next greatest thing coming in displays, if it takes off. I havent heard about how its brightness/contrast/color reproduction compared to OLED/MicroLED, but it has the promise of Micro-LEDs low/zero burn in with the benefit of being much less complex and expensive to build. Not a whole lot of info on it but heres a good read with a video for anyone interested..

https://www.inverse.com/tech/sharp-qdel ... us-oled-tv
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

QDEL sounds great.

I'm just curious what separates it from Micro-LED.

I mean, aren't "quantumn dots" just small LEDs?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

No, they're nanocrystals measuring just a few nanometers in size. Their ability to convert light to various colours without loss dives deep into quantum mechanics, with different sizes producing different colours of light. They're already widely used in monitors. Traditionally they're used as a backlight enhancement layer, converting the backlight to more pure wavelengths of the three primaries, improving colour. They're now starting to see use replacing colour filter layers like in QD-OLED. But all of those use cases involve producing light using some other mechanism and having that light shine on the quantum dots. QDEL basically involves using electricity and having the quantum dots produce the light themselves, but the material science has a way to go before they're commercially viable.

When they're ready, they have the potential to be extremely cheap to manufacture. OLED panels must be manufactured in a vacuum, while QDEL panels can re-use existing LCD panel manufacturing lines and be printed with something akin to inkjet printing (while inkjet printing is used in OLED manufacture, it's only done for one protective layer). And no vacuums.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

but the material science has a way to go
Second time you've said this-- source? I'd like to read up on it.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I'm far from an expert, so I'll just quote Wikipedia on the subject:
As cadmium-based materials cannot be used in lighting applications due to their environmental impact,[71] InP (indium phosphide) ink-jet solutions are being researched by Nanosys, Nanoco, Nanophotonica, OSRAM OLED, Fraunhofer IAP, Merck, and Seoul National University, among others.[33][72][73] As of 2019, InP based materials are still not yet ready for commercial production due to limited lifetime.[74]
The most relevant reference from there: https://displaydaily.com/bright-long-la ... m-el-qled/

There's an interesting table in there from Samsung in 2019 showing that at 10,000 nits, it took only 10 hours to lose 5% of brightness. I'm sure that things have progressed since then, but when Sharp showed off their QDEL display at CES 2024, it was *very* dim.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

I don't think mla / QD is quite as revolutionary as hyped. But across price ranges I'm hopeful it'll eventually see a kind of consistent incremental improvement in quality...
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

gray117 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:14 pm I don't think mla / QD is quite as revolutionary as hyped.
This just means marketing has done a tremendous job at convicing people that they were :)
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

gray117 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:14 pm I don't think mla / QD is quite as revolutionary as hyped. But across price ranges I'm hopeful it'll eventually see a kind of consistent incremental improvement in quality...
I know there wont be a huge improvement in image quality for those that already have other Oleds, i'm coming from the 48" inch LG CX myself, so I will keep expectations in check. For me, it will be a combination of all the other factors, including the brightness increase, and faster refresh rates, that are expected on the new gen QD/MLA panels.