Neon Hawk (Vectrex)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
MJR

Neon Hawk (Vectrex)

Post by MJR »

My friend is making a rail shooter game, Space Harrier style, with his brother for Vectrex, and it looks awesome!

https://youtu.be/5YP-lzAlmIo?si=UKc0PsSO1IIvom76

I should add that he is not just any hobbyist, but a long-time game industry veteran, who was involved with games such as Supreme Snowboarding, Max Payne 2, Alan Wake etc.. these days, he is more content making games for Vectrex :D
it290

Re: Neon Hawk (Vectrex)

Post by it290 »

Nice, love a good Vectrex game and this is shaping up great. The fish thing is super cool.

My current fave is Vectorblade which is inspired by Deluxe Galaga/Warblade. Definitely check that one out if you haven't!
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

That looks fantastic!
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
MJR

Post by MJR »

Here is level 3-1, running on real Vectrex:

https://youtube.com/shorts/mHd8TqUs-wE
MJR

Post by MJR »

PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Wow, that third Youtube video of Neon Hawk looks fantastic! It looks like it's running at 50hz, is it?

The vector scaling is super silky-smooth and fast paced.

The very last official 1st-party GCE Vectrex game of "A Crush of Lucifer" circa 1983 has 3-D scaling effects but with horrible flickering issues that haven't been fixed/resolved since it's 2022 general release by Sean Kelly.

Neon Hawk has that slick fast-paced arcade feel to it that really draws the player in -- seems like it'd be the next "killer app" worthy on the Vectrex. Only if the original GCE game devs could pull off something like Neon Hawk back in 1982-1984, that would've been absolutely incredible/jaw-dropping. To really showcase what the Vectrex can do nowadays is mind boggling with the talented homebrew Vectrex scene.

I wouldn't be surprised if Neon Hawk is released as a 32kb or even a 64kb sized game cart (or even bigger with multi-banking switching like with the insane 192kb sized Vectorblade game).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MJR

Post by MJR »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:18 pm Wow, that third Youtube video of Neon Hawk looks fantastic! It looks like it's running at 50hz, is it?

The vector scaling is super silky-smooth and fast paced.

The very last official 1st-party GCE Vectrex game of "A Crush of Lucifer" circa 1983 has 3-D scaling effects but with horrible flickering issues that haven't been fixed/resolved since it's 2022 general release by Sean Kelly.

Neon Hawk has that slick fast-paced arcade feel to it that really draws the player in -- seems like it'd be the next "killer app" worthy on the Vectrex. Only if the original GCE game devs could pull off something like Neon Hawk back in 1982-1984, that would've been absolutely incredible/jaw-dropping. To really showcase what the Vectrex can do nowadays is mind boggling with the talented homebrew Vectrex scene.

I wouldn't be surprised if Neon Hawk is released as a 32kb or even a 64kb sized game cart (or even bigger with multi-banking switching like with the insane 192kb sized Vectorblade game).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Hey, thanks! It's great to have comments from you especially :) I will pass your comments to the developers.