Core Grafx (PC-Engine) Inherent Noise

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
LDigital

Core Grafx (PC-Engine) Inherent Noise

Post by LDigital »

After seeing the performance of the duo, I opted for real hardware and an EDFX and a packapunch RGB cable to get nice Rgb out of it.

It’s a nice compact and clean setup but with my headphones I am noticing there is a lot of noise in the audio with a particularly high pitch tone on the right channel.

It has been a while since I had my old briefcase setup but don’t remember this noise.

Are there any known fixes?
SavagePencil

Re: Core Grafx (PC-Engine) Inherent Noise

Post by SavagePencil »

Unfortunately the EDFX may to be blame for some of what you're hearing, if it's occurring during CD games. There are a number of threads about it on the Krikzz forums and we're hoping that a new firmware will address the issue.

Two other areas to investigate:
1. Ensure that the Options -> Audio Options is set to the correct configuration that you have setup.
2. Does the buzzing occur in time with the SD card access? There are reports that certain SD cards are more noisy than others.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

All PCE hardware is a bad combo with headphones. The best you can do sadly is to get a Supergrafx as it's the least noisy non-Duo console, or stay with a Duo but burn CDs (until an ODE for those is available). Or just use MiSTer.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Supergrafx console with RGB mod by itself usually goes for about $450.00 usd nowadays.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:19 pm The Supergrafx console with RGB mod by itself usually goes for about $450.00 usd nowadays.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Putting an RGB mod on a Supergrafx should take away from its value :lol:
KnightNZ

Post by KnightNZ »

LDigital wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:14 pm After seeing the performance of the duo, I opted for real hardware and an EDFX and a packapunch RGB cable to get nice Rgb out of it.

It’s a nice compact and clean setup but with my headphones I am noticing there is a lot of noise in the audio with a particularly high pitch tone on the right channel.

It has been a while since I had my old briefcase setup but don’t remember this noise.

Are there any known fixes?
FWIW I have exact the same issue with my (poorly by someone else) RGB modded PC Engine, I've got a Turbonanza on the way to see if a non-halfassed solution helps matters. The mod I've got in mine is (as far as I can tell) the generic one from Mmmonkey which has the audio line coming off a resistor on the underside of the board, not sure if that is the source of the noise or not or if it's further upstream.