No interest / demand for a PS2 ODE?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASDR

Re: No interest / demand for a PS2 ODE?

Post by ASDR »

drncurry wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:56 pm
ASDR wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:47 pm Mine still works after all these years but the console will go into server-grade-fan-noise mode just sitting on the XMB. I guess the paste under the heatspreader for RSX/Cell must be bone dry. And the caps will likely die soon as well. Just not worth the effort keeping that thing alive IMHO.
Agreed with your assessment. Mine had similar symptoms and I re-pasted it last weekend which fixed it. RSX went from 70C idle to 30-40C idle.
No, I meant under the heat spreader, not the heatsink. Changing thermal paste between heat spreader / heat sink had absolutely zero effect. I didn't want to delid my chips, seemed like something that I'd need special equipment for and had a high chance of going awry. The issue is they used a thermal interface material under the chip heat spreader that had poor a lifetime :/
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Oh yeah definitely pay someone to delid, nothing I would ever trust myself to do. Of course it will cost as much as buying a Slim PS3 probably. I know a chip swap would.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

bobrocks95 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:54 pm Oh yeah definitely pay someone to delid, nothing I would ever trust myself to do. Of course it will cost as much as buying a Slim PS3 probably. I know a chip swap would.
I just bought a slim and put the PS3 fat in the display shelf ;-) PS2 compatibility would've been nice to have, but having a PS2 in an OSSC/HDTV setup and a PS2 in a CRT setup both running FMCB/OPL I don't see why I'd ever need to use it, so it just wouldn't be worth it.