New Habit Soft Famicom game: HABiT! Carnival Shooting

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
soupbones

New Habit Soft Famicom game: HABiT! Carnival Shooting

Post by soupbones »

Habit Soft is at it again with a new caravan shooter, this time for the Famicom. Going by the incredibly creative name of HABit Carnival Shooting!

https://www.gameimpact.info/habit/

Really enjoyed Gunstream, so of course I preordered this. Should be arriving by the end of January.

Programmed by the same dev responsible for Coryoon and Air Zonk (Yoshiharu Takaoka), with music by Star Soldier composer Takeaki Kunimoto

Like before, they don't sell oversees - so you'll have to use a proxy service like Zen Market. :cry:
Last edited by soupbones on Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghegs

Re: New Habit Soft Famicom game: HABit Carnival Shooting

Post by Ghegs »

Oooh, thanks for the heads-up.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
soupbones

Re: New Habit Soft Famicom game: HABit Carnival Shooting

Post by soupbones »

Haven't received this yet, but they've already announced a new version; HABiT SPICY Version...

★ Differences between HABiT! ver.2.00 and SPICY ★
  • Change the background to sunset color
    Change all enemy character graphics
    Change enemy character's strength (shooting bullets, movement speed, etc.)
    Change character rotation (5 minute minions appear first)
    Change Mega's position
    Crystals no longer appear from the crystals in the temple
    Player's speed change changed to three stages (high speed added)
    Player's automatic fire rate was slightly accelerated
    Slightly changed the display position of score, remaining life, time, and speed.
    Time bonus change
    Change the title screen
    Display the 2-minute high score on the title screen・
    Change staff credits・Add sound test (both BGM and SE can be played)
    Change hidden mode (super spicy mode)
Preorder here (you'll need a proxy service like Zen Market if you're outside of Japan.

https://www.gameimpact.info/habitspicy/

Given the fact that the first game isn't in my hands yet and the changes don't seem that huge, i'm hesitant to drop the cash. But that number 2 on the box is giving me anxiety. :D
Ghegs

Re: New Habit Soft Famicom game: HABiT! Carnival Shooting

Post by Ghegs »

That's...kind of annoying, to be honest. This is the third reservation set for the 2.0 version so I might feel differently had I purchased the game on the first go, but now that this set of reservations is scheduled to be shipped out from the end of February to the middle of March, and the slightly modified but apparently superior version to be sent out from the middle of March to the end of March...kind of leaves me wondering what's the point of getting the first one anymore?

I have the 2.0 version pre-ordered and I'm not going to cancel it, but this does leave a bit of a bad taste in mouth. It'd be better if there was an option for people who reserved the 2.0 version from this set, to transfer their reservation to the spicy version instead.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Ghegs wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:09 pm That's...kind of annoying, to be honest. This is the third reservation set for the 2.0 version so I might feel differently had I purchased the game on the first go, but now that this set of reservations is scheduled to be shipped out from the end of February to the middle of March, and the slightly modified but apparently superior version to be sent out from the middle of March to the end of March...kind of leaves me wondering what's the point of getting the first one anymore?

I have the 2.0 version pre-ordered and I'm not going to cancel it, but this does leave a bit of a bad taste in mouth. It'd be better if there was an option for people who reserved the 2.0 version from this set, to transfer their reservation to the spicy version instead.
Agreed - kinda surprised they did this so soon. Whole thing seems messy with 1.0 owners having to send in there cartridges for the 2.0 upgrade so soon after launch, …and now this.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Got mine today.

Early impressions seem promising. Caravan games are all about the high-score chasing and there seems to be a plethora of options and opportunities for that here, so that's good. It keeps you very busy, from destroying each enemy wave as fast as possible so the next one spawns, to destroying objects on the ground (some of which need to be shot multiple times for a good score bonus), to catching the various scoring items, to finding the classic hidden score items which increase in value as you uncover them. Then there are, again, classic miniboss fights where you need to destroy them before their parts combine, or make the eyes close at the same time, for score bonuses.

There seems to be a lot of secret bonuses to find, like in another miniboss fight I discovered that destroying all its components gives you a much larger score bonus. But it takes more time over just destroying the main part, and more time = more opportunities for score. A few times I came across an enemy that, when destroyed, turned all the other on-screen enemies into strawberries, which could then be collected for a lot of points. One time I managed to somehow make a giant strawberry appear which was worth even more.

At the moment I mostly feel like a headless chicken running around. Figuring out what scoring potential to focus on at any given moment and what to ignore, will take a good while. Finishing the 5-minute mode will also give score bonuses based on remaining time and lives.

Technically the game seems solid, I haven't seen much flickering at all, though the game keeps you so busy it's also difficult to notice. It's certainly not as pretty-looking as something like Blade Buster, but it gets the job done. Unlike in Star Soldier titles, your firepower never shoots backwards, but destroying enemies right behind you is possible with the speed change, Image Fight-style. Good thing that's done easily with the B button.

I'll try to put up a gameplay video this weekend.

In a way I'm now even more annoyed that Habit Spicy Ver. is a thing. Because this is kind of cool, and I wouldn't mind having an even better version of it...but at the same time I just got this, and it's not that different a version, and what if there's a Habit Spicy Ver. 2.0 just six months down the road?

My videos
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

2-minute mode, 707,700 points

Yeah, very fun. I've mostly been playing the 2-minute mode so far. Since the 5-minute mode starts the same, figuring out the 2-minute mode first will help out there as well.

Not sure what's up with the miniboss at 1:30. I thought destroying those flame-spewing enemies first and then the main guy gives 57,300 points, but sometimes when I do it, I only get the normal 10,000. There has to be some additional criteria I'm not getting yet. Still not sure whether it's actually more beneficial to actually just quick-kill this one. After this run I've played it a few more times to test things out, and I actually got a bit better score at 726,600 but wasn't recording at the time. In that run I quick-killed this miniboss, and it allowed me enough time to reach one extra miniboss, which got me 76,500 points. Figuring how to kill this fast enough while still having enough time to reach that miniboss would be the best. I think I have some ideas on that.

The hidden score items (the blue faces on ground) don't behave quite as I expected. After destroying enough of them without missing any, you get 76,500 points, but the next one only seems to give 1,000 points, rather than increasing even more or at least staying the game. I tested this by purposefully missing the first item, and the score did increase from 57,300 to 76,500, so I couldn't have missed any there. And yeah, missing any of these actually resets their score, which is a harsher penalty than in some other caravan titles where their value just doesn't increase.

My videos
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Got my copy as well - very, very happy with it so far.

I agree - tons of secrets here and there. The gigantic strawberry was a particular WTF moment I had while playing. :lol: Just read through your notes - I'm going to start paying more attention to what does what now that I've seen the full game in 5 minute mode, but this certainly helps!

Music is catchy, graphics are ok but have a certain charm to them. Love the Aleste powerup system and how aggressive the game plays.

Really wish the Spicy version wasn't tempting me to double dip. Buying it might make this game obsolete.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

My 2min high-score is now at 737,500 (got it recorded, too), but no luck in figuring out on how to best deal with the castle boss.

Dipping my toe into the 5 min mode now, with 2,712,400 as a starting score. The final boss seems too simplistic - you can pointblank her and she's literally dead within two seconds. Maybe there's some hidden bonus in there as well? The game also rewards finishing it with 100,000 for each life and 500 for each second remaining on the clock, and I finished this run with 32 seconds left so that's an extra 16k points for time alone. But if there's some secret bonus there that would most likely be more than that.

My videos
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Are there plans to release both regular and Spicy versions of "Habit! Carnival Shooting" as an NES cartridge (besides the usual Famicom cart release)?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~