Under Defeat (old thread)

Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Y^nO wrote:Hello all, i'm from belgium and i'm a shmup player :D
:shock:
Someone give this man a prize! ;)

Oh and welcome to the boards! I think you are our second Belgian member (highlandcattle being from Antwerpen/Anvers). :)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
BBH

Post by BBH »

BBH - 1,378,030 - 1-4 - Normal

go figure, now that I'm scoring better I haven't been able to reach 1-5 again.

by the way this game has the worst font ever, I keep thinking that the 4's are 1's. :roll:
it290

Post by it290 »

I agree on the font, it doesn't suit the game at all.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BBH

Post by BBH »

it290 wrote:I agree on the font, it doesn't suit the game at all.
totally.

so um, I played it again tonight and beat my old score on my first life. Wow. Was so close to beating the 1-4 boss on that first life too... :oops:

BBH - 1,780,710 - 1-5 - Normal
Y^nO

Post by Y^nO »

tiny up^^

1 405 450 Pts 1-4 normal
"Celui qui dit être maître de lui-même, est l'élève d'un imbécile","That which says being master of itself, is the pupil of stupid"
BBH

Post by BBH »

I think I've played this a little much over the last couple days. BUT I MUST PRESS ON! (still haven't even reached the last boss on a single credit...)

BBH - 1,946,430 - 1-5 - Normal
BBH

Post by BBH »

OKAY I'M DONE POSTING IN THIS THREAD FOR A LITTLE WHILE, I THINK

BBH - 2,846,630 - 2-2 - Normal

(reached the last boss on my first life, then lost two lives there. Unfortunately I used a bomb to kill the last boss, which is a loss of a guaranteed 100k. Oh well, I just didn't want to fuck it up)
CIT

Post by CIT »

Update.

And congratulations on your feat, BBH! :D

EDIT:
BBH wrote:(reached the last boss on my first life, then lost two lives there. Unfortunately I used a bomb to kill the last boss, which is a loss of a guaranteed 100k. Oh well, I just didn't want to fuck it up)
I didn't even know bombs could hurt the final boss. I thought the final form will only take damage when you fire into the gun barrel.
BBH

Post by BBH »

CIT wrote:I didn't even know bombs could hurt the final boss. I thought the final form will only take damage when you fire into the gun barrel.
Yeah, bombs won't do much damage, but it definitely hurts the boss. Watch the 1-5 replay (the non-extra one) and you'll see the player use a bomb near the end, and the bar slowly dwindles down.

If you're feeling saucy, you can also try getting close to the boss and crashing your Option into it, but that won't do much damage either. Seems like a rocket fired against any part of the boss will usually do damage too, but obviously not as much as when you send the rocket down the barrel.
it290

Post by it290 »

Some marginal improvement after a few more hours of play:

it290 - 1,306,680 - 1-4 - Normal
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
duomaxwell

Post by duomaxwell »

stage 1-3 reverse mode
it290

Post by it290 »

little bump

it290 - 1,448,070 - 1-4 - Normal
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Kiken - 1,677,950 - 1-5 - Normal

Finally managed to get to stage 5 (granted, I haven't played this this in over a week).
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Trevor spencer 1,066,150 1-4 Normal
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Trevor spencer 1,215,830 1-4 Normal
the allett

Post by the allett »

Hi

Very nice game,

The Allett 1,822,110 1-5 Reverse

Getting to 1-5 with all lives but those 3 tanks that circle around are getting the better of me :x
In the words of an alcholic, have another drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BBH

Post by BBH »

HELLO AGAIN!

BBH - 3,925,240 - 2-4 - Normal

hahahaha christ. I don't know if I'm going to be able to beat this :(

I almost 1-lifed the first loop. Swear to god, all I had to do was fire one rocket anywhere against the last boss, but first I had to dodge those parallel lines of fire while it recharged... and unfortunately I misjudged the spacing (I was out of bombs too). Dammit. Both of the remaining lives were lost in 2-4. Last life was a fairly embarassing death too due to one nasty little surprise that I wasn't expecting in the second loop. Really though, getting past 2-4 is going to be really friggin hard. I mean, with the increased rate of fire, tons of enemies shooting homing missiles that release suicide bullets when destroyed... it's just so much. Oh, and 2-3 is no walk in the park either, especially the boss... the missiles it launches actually fire in 4 directions, and the wings release a huge array of suicide bullets when you destroy them. Ouch. Nothing like a second loop to break me out of my usual bomb-hoarding habits...
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BBH wrote:HELLO AGAIN!

BBH - 3,925,240 - 2-4 - Normal

hahahaha christ. I don't know if I'm going to be able to beat this :(
You're going to have to start recording your playthroughs. :)

Also, level 5 is quite insane in the second loop.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Trevor spencer 1,315,350 1-4 Normal
BBH

Post by BBH »

Kiken wrote:You're going to have to start recording your playthroughs. :)
I definitely would if I had some means of capturing video. :(
Also, level 5 is quite insane in the second loop.
Indeed. The last boss makes me cry, the turrets in the second form release suicide bullets when destroyed. That's just not cool.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Wow, congrats, BBH! Got any favorite strategies to share? =)
Humans, think about what you have done
it290

Post by it290 »

it290 - 1,727,330 - 1-5 - Normal

Phew -- that stage 5 midboss is some shit. I had read BBH's tips about the pod colors, but I totally forgot them, as this was the first time I had gotten to this guy. Probably be a little while before I pull another one of those runs, as I am constantly bumping into stupid shit in this game.
BBH

Post by BBH »

louisg wrote:Wow, congrats, BBH! Got any favorite strategies to share? =)
uh... nothing I can think of off the top of my head :) but here's a crosspost from another forum of how I handle Option use throughout the game in case you were curious.

1-1 - stick with Vulcan for most of the level, switch to Rocket on the second power-up for the boss
1-2 - Cannon the whole way through, including the boss
1-3 - switch to Vulcan at the beginning, then Rocket before the boss
1-4 - same thing, Vulcan for most of the level, Rocket before boss
1-5 - Cannon for most of the level, then Rocket before last boss

I try not to worry too much about wiping out every enemy for the "contribution bonus" or whatever, I'm more concerned with making sure I get Option kills on 5000/10000-point enemies.

scoring-wise I think my best scores for each level are 287k after 1-1, 878k after 1-2, 1.34 mllion after 1-3, 1.88 million after 1-4, and a little over 2.6 million after the loop (I don't think I cleared 1-5 on the 1.88 million game...)
it290 wrote:Phew -- that stage 5 midboss is some shit. I had read BBH's tips about the pod colors, but I totally forgot them, as this was the first time I had gotten to this guy. Probably be a little while before I pull another one of those runs, as I am constantly bumping into stupid shit in this game.
yeah, that thing totally handed its ass to me the first time I reached it. Then I realized that you only need to destroy one wing of the plane to kill it (and to take out one wing you have to destroy both propellers on the wing). Best thing to do IMO is to get the Cannon power-up before the battle, then let it loose right when the midboss has fully come down. I recommend deploying it on the propeller that's closer to the middle part. Then move to the side and concentrate all your regular gunfire on the propeller near the edge of the screen. With any luck you'll be able to destroy them both around the same time. (also regarding the pod colors - it seems like the order of the first 4 pods is always Green, Green, Green, Purple. Maybe it changes based on rank?)

I have more problems with those hover-things right before the last boss now. I thought I had those things figured out, and then I died on them. It's hard to keep track of where all three of their cannons are aiming :evil: Now I just puss out and use a bomb near the beginning.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

I'm not very good at this yet, need more practice.
Here's the best I can do right now:

SuperGrafx 737,140 1-3 Normal
BBH

Post by BBH »

Come on guys, keep playing! I want to see somebody else reach the loop. ;) I don't think there's enough demand for more lists, but I'm going to post these scores just for fun. :)

Hard difficulty:
BBH - 2,729,070 - 2-0 - Normal
(cleared the first loop and didn't have the ratio to go into the second loop. Bite me.)

starting from 2-1 (Normal):
BBH - 2,182,090 - 2-5 - Normal
(reached the second form of the last boss)

fun fact - my high score for 1-1 now is 290,760. The in-game Extra Replay scores 279k. :) (and yes, I'm aware that one could easily break 300k by dying once or twice for bigger end-of-level bonus, I suppose 340k would be possible with an extra 40k (and an extra 10k from the powerup items left after you die). But that doesn't count.)
it290

Post by it290 »

I'm still playing regularly, but I haven't been able to beat my score yet. I hope to clear the first loop, but 1-5 is a big hurdle for me right now. The floating mech/pod things and the boss are going to take a fair bit of practice.

I wouldn't mind a score attack board. I think my highest score for 1-1 (w/o dying) is around 285k. Wouldn't mind knowing where you're getting that extra 5k from. Right now I'm taking out all the big targets, towers, and a good number of tanks and helis out with the vulcan, and I don't switch to the rocket until around the last cannon. Maybe it's a time thing? I normally beat the boss with 35 seconds left on the clock.
BBH

Post by BBH »

it290 wrote:I wouldn't mind a score attack board. I think my highest score for 1-1 (w/o dying) is around 285k. Wouldn't mind knowing where you're getting that extra 5k from. Right now I'm taking out all the big targets, towers, and a good number of tanks and helis out with the vulcan, and I don't switch to the rocket until around the last cannon. Maybe it's a time thing? I normally beat the boss with 35 seconds left on the clock.
You're pretty much doing the same thing I'm doing (Vulcan at beginning, Cannon for second power-up), but yeah it seems to be a time thing. I can sometimes kill the boss with 44 seconds left, I think that's pretty much the fastest time possible while still getting the three 5000x2's and the two 10000x2's.

Fire a rocket at the beginning and start shooting, hope the rocket takes out the middle part. Then this is the hardest part, when the boss moves back up, do as much damage to the side turrets without destroying them. Optimally you want to have both of them emitting sparks by the time the rocket is ready to be recharged, then fire it. As the boss turns around, again do as much damage as possible to the spots on the back of the boss without destroying them. Then when the rocket's charged, crash the option into the back of the boss instead of firing the rocket since it's faster, if you time it right you can get both 10000x2's just by crashing it.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

BBH, if you need more incentive to keep playing, the top score I saw at the arcade the other day was ~6,5 million. I never see anyone playing it, so this might be one of the tip-top scores.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Pretty close...the current WR is 7.1 million.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

I'm a little late to the party...

Zach Keene - 346,640 - 1-2 - Reverse