Triggerheart Exelica - Switch Re-release

Submit your reviews here - please see guidelines topic
Sturmvogel Prime

Triggerheart Exelica - Switch Re-release

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

DANGER ZONE (PART LXIII)
HEARTFUL TRIGGERHEART

After 17 years, they're back.

This review will be about the Switch re-release of Triggerheart Exelica. For "In-depth" analysis of gameplay, graphics and sound please read the following reviews.
- TRIGGERHEART EXELICA (XBOX Live Arcade)
- TRIGGERHEART EXELICA ENHANCED: 10th ANNIVERSARY REVIEW (PlayStation 2)
- TRIGGERHEART EXELICA: A RETROSPECTIVE (Arcade / Dreamcast)

After owning the XBLA port years prior to its delisting on August 31st and reconsidering the old idea of retiring the PS2 Enhanced version, I've never thought I'd be reviewing it again. I mean, I've talked about it as much and often as Metal Black, the whole Darius series and of course, the Ray series of shooters. But perhaps it's fate that today's review is Triggerheart Exelica and you will once again be reading about Exelica, Crueltear and Faintear... and the Anchor Unit as well.

In any case, Triggerheart Exelica is back again, and unlike the PlayStation 2 Enhanced release, Cosmo Machia brings the game once again, but this time to Nintendo territory, since this is a Switch release. Before continuing with the review of this re-release, you've might be asking "Who is Cosmo Machia?". While I mentioned this company in my review of Daioh and there's an article about them on Wikiheart Exelica, I'll give you a quick rundown: Cosmo Machia is a company funded by former Warashi members, among them is Tsutomu Tabata, a former Athena programmer who worked on Daioh. When Warashi closed their doors in 2009-2010, the rights of Exelica apparently were stucked on a legal limbo and on May of 2023, Cosmo Machia acquired the rights of Triggerheart Exelica while Hamster picked Warashi's rights, including Shienryu. The passing of rights had an unexpected collateral damage: The Backwards Compatible XBLA/XBOX360 port of Exelica, which was delisted on August 31st of 2023, Cosmo Machia informed Microsoft about it and they had no choice but to pull the plug, sending a piece of Triggerheart (and Warashi) history to the absolute nothingness. A very contradictorious move since Cosmo Machia is essentially Warashi 2.0 (¿or Athena 3.0?) since it was funded by former Warashi/Athena staff, while I could understand the removal if it was another company unrelated to Warashi's past (Taito or Capcom for example).

With this short story explained, let's go onto the review. The latest release of Triggerheart Exelica features not one, but three modes: Arcade Mode, Story Mode and Arrange Mode, along with the supplemental Training Mode.

The first movements might require initial adjustments.

Unlike the Dreamcast release where you enter the menu after the arcade opening played, here, you'll be on the menu after the company logo, pretty much like the XBLA release. Here's where you can make adjustments before finally picking any of the modes. Once you're done, you'll be on the Arcade intro sequence. This was a nice detail from Cosmo Machia; Re-utilizing the original NAOMI/Dreamcast intro sequence which was completely missing in the XBOX360 and PlayStation 2 ports.

It's the same classic 2006's Triggerheart Exelica you knew, with the 2008's improvements.

First is the Arcade Mode, which is based on the XBOX360's "Live Arcade" version and later repurposed as the Arcade Mode of Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced on the PlayStation 2. If you've played the XBLA release, you'll be familiarized with its mechanics, mostly on the ending conditions: Unlock all the boss battles through reaching the required amount of Item Points for all the bosses (Example: 2,500 to fight all the forms of the first stage boss), then unlock all the fights with Faintear Imitate after defeating stages 1 and 3 bosses and surviving without using a single continue or skipping any of these battles. While the XBLA and PS2 versions had the Arrange Mode Item Point mechanic (2,500 x19.1 in Arcade are 25191 in Arrange Mode), the Switch release restores the original Arcade/Dreamcast Item Point mechanic. Unlike the Dreamcast release where you had to wait for the game to end a "unpause" countdown (think Alfa System's Sisters Royale for example), you'll return immediately like in the XBOX and PS2 ports. While based on the XBOX port, it behaves more like the Dreamcast version since the bosses of Stages 2 and 4 can be attacked as soon as they appear rather than wait for them to make an introductory animation.

When you hear the thunder.
When the storm comes to you.
Remember me.

The Arcade Mode endings are virtually the same as the XBLA and the PS2: Normal Ending is the "Bad Ending" of the game, where Ver'mith Ennda captures the unused character and dies saving you. The True Ending tells us that both Exelica and Crueltear are not strong enough to stop Ver'mith Ennda from attacking them, but they're helped by Faintear Imitate who is free of Ver'mith control since Ennda's attempt to kill her only broke the Control Core, regaining her Triggerheart consciousness. As the Triggerhearts finally defeat Ennda, Imitate leaves since she is no longer a threat.

Welcome to the show, Exelica. Engage at will.

Story Mode is the second mode of this game. Although is graphically based on the XBLA port, it carries the interruptions of the Dreamcast version and in an unexpected twist, it plays the Game Over theme on the "Normal Ending" like the PS2 Enhanced version did, but also on the "True Ending" nodding the XBLA. Compared with the PlayStation 2 release, Story Mode is a great step back as the game is based directly on the Dreamcast version, which not only lacks of the colorful illustrations, it lacks of the more vast and much enriched lore that comprised the Triggerheart universe, becoming another addtion to the list of critical hits to the overall game which I'll mention later.

They've upped their game, things are going to get harder from here on in.

Arrange Mode was restored after being absent on the XBOX and PS2. In terms of difficulty is the same "Extremely Hard", No continues allowed "Do-or-Die" play session where you and your Triggerheart will be pushed to the limits. Like in the Dreamcast version, the Stage music remains the same "Mode exclusive", except the Ver'mith and Faintear Imitate boss battles since those can be player-changed if he/she wants to hear the original Arcade or the XBLA arranged soundtrack.

Cyclops 2 Count
<< So Crueltear died for nothing. >>

If you were hoping there was an improvement over the Dreamcast Arrange Mode ending, forget it. Is the same disappointing screen where Faintear Imitate makes fun of you. But I think I should thank Faintear Imitate, Warashi, Kazuhiko Kakoi and Yuko Ishibashi altogether because this disappointment that I had back in 2007 was more of a lesson, as if the game was preparing me for the trash endings I would be facing in the future. That "Congratulations!" screen is nothing compared with atrocities like the endings of RedRaptor, Project Wingman, the Hard Mode ending of R-Type Complete CD and Hovership Havoc or the "Zero efforts" like Blastful, Fluxteria and Taurian Defense where there wasn't an ending at all!. After all those shits that I've heavily criticized (except Project Wingman. That was a great game), now I'm starting to appreciate Exelica's Arrange Mode ending.

Censorship strikes again.

The main weakness of this game is not one, but several reasons: The already mentioned use of the XBOX Live Arcade version as the "Base" game rather than being based on the NAOMI hardware. The decision of using the Story Mode of the Dreamcast version instead of the PlayStation 2 is also a critical flaw. Because it ditches the anime intro, the Event CG of Story Mode and the playable Faintear for all modes. In terms of both lore and game content is one hell of a step back. Anyone might think legal issues with 5Pb might be the cause of the lack of content from Enhanced, but it is a cascade of failures for a release that had the potential of be the definitive return of Triggerheart Exelica. The lack of having the original Faintear as a playable character reduces the replay value considerably as we only have two characters like before. Compare that with RayStorm HD. It had the same features of the PlayStation port and the core gameplay was the same, but added the RVA-818 X-LAY from RayForce and the R-Gear, enhancing the game much further and making it the definitive port of RayStorm ("RayStorm Enhanced" if you want to call it like that). But the worst part of all was the return of the censorship where Crueltear was the unfortunate victim. Like in the XBLA, Stage 3's result screen has a different artwork for unspecified reasons, and the ending which was decensored on the PS2 version, Cosmo Machia Re-censors it again. Really, what's the problem with the original Stage 3 Clear image? Someone please answer me that. As for the original ending, I might sound like I'll be repeating myself from the XBOX Live Arcade review, but if the developers, distributors and Nintendo had a problem with a girl wearing a leotard, why not change the characters into something less "offensive" just like Konami did with the "Euro-Contra" known as Probotector where Bill and Lance were replaced with robots or the Brazilian release of Astro Warrior where the outer space setting was changed into a kid-friendly Sapo Xule game. Well, I got it, I have an idea. How 'bout if Cosmo Machia teams up with Namco and turns Triggerheart Exelica into a Finest Hour game where the girls are manned robots. Hope Cosmo Machia brings an update to the game and decensors Crueltear's ending so we can have a more Arcade/Dreamcast accurate game. Like in the XBOX version, this censorship is also contradictorious for the Nintendo Switch since it has A LOT of fanservice packed games like the Senran Kagura series and Gal Guardians: Demon Purge, so please don't come out with the "Blame Nintendo's Family Friendly rules" bullshit.

The lovely team.

Being XBLA based has its own set of improvements, being the graphic aspect the best of all since it is more HD and detailed than the NAOMI hardware and the PlayStation 2 altogether, it also features new wallpapers for those who are playing it on horizontal and the ability to switch between the original music and the XBLA arrange for Arcade and Story Modes. The Switch version also regains one lost aspect of the PS2 Enhanced version: Faintear Imitate's original dialogues. While the PS2 had re-recorded lines by Natsuko Kuwatani, this vesion restores all the phrases recorded by Yuko Ishibashi, the same goes for the original voice of Crueltear, while she was voiced by Kozue Shimizu in all the versions of the game, Kozue changed the TH32's adult voice for a much younger one on the PS2. Well, the adult-tone is back too, making this version more of a real "Enhanced" than Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced did. In fact, this combination of XBLA graphics and the Dreamcast voice samples and the additional modes improve the game much further and makes it look like what the XBOX Live Arcade version should be. But if past has taught me something is that the re-release could be better. I mean, why now giving us the option of switch between NAOMI graphics and XBLA graphics?, Halo: The Master Chief Collection is the best example of what I mean, because it had that option for Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 to switch between the original XBOX and the XBOX 360 remasters. Also, another cool feature would be adding soundtracks from other Warashi titles like Shienryu, just like the PlayStation port of Raiden DX included Viper Phase 1's music. An official database like the "Digital Viewer" from Thunder Force V: Perfect System would also be a nice addition, since that would add more lore directly from the staff rather than letting the fan speculate about the universe within the game.
Akihiko Eiki wrote:I would be very happy when this title becomes known to various people in the future, they'll say, "If you are looking for a port of EXELICA, I recommend the Nintendo Switch version!"
Hate to break his commercial bubble, but after 17 years and different versions, a "recommended" port of Triggerheart Exelica has been a subject of debate among the fans. I mean, if you're looking for something as close as the original vintage arcade game, that's the Dreamcast version, if you're looking for a port with a vast and rich Story Mode, that's Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced on the PlayStation 2 and if you're looking for the arcade game with HD graphics then that's the XBLA but oh, shit, it's now unavailable for those who didn't got it, leaving the Switch as that appropiate port with the Dreamcast exclusive modes as a bonus.

TRIVIAHEART EXELICA

You can't say no to her.

- This is the fourth and latest release of the game.
- It is also the third time the game uses the XBOX Live Arcade port as base.
- Despite the XBLA delisting, Cosmo Machia is considering a return to XBOX using the Switch version.
- While the Cosmo Machia's main page and TH site refers to the game as "TriggerHeart EXELICA", the "Story" section refers the characters as "Triggerhearts" without the lower case h, something that Warashi didn't used.
- The website wrongly tags Faintear Imitate as TH44, which is the Triggerheart number of the original Faintear from Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced. This is a critical error if we consider Cosmo Machia was founded by former Warashi staff.
- According to Cosmo Machia, they have plans for a sequel, but it is unknown if they'll be using the concepts of RE:Anchor or they will make new ones from scratch just like in Thunder Force VI's case.

Closing the TH reviews with the pic that led me to all of this.
My starting point as a Triggerheart fan. Thanks, yakkey.

It is good to see how after 17 years and surviving Warashi's closure, Triggerheart Exelica still retains its charm as the simple, yet addicting Anchor capturing shooter that always manages to bring you back for more despite conquering the game and knowing the inside-outs of its mechanics. Something that few shmups have and indie games are lacking nowadays.

While it is good to see Triggerheart Exelica once again, it still has things left to be desired. While the improvement adds more content, it re-censors what Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced fixed. But the cold fact is that these flaws are nothing compared with what this game really lacks: Being able to play the genuine NAOMI-based arcade. And despite all the exclusives like posters and 3D crystals, those are not gonna compensate this re-issue's main weaknesses. The authentic arcade experience is perhaps the most important aspect of all and the (Trigger)heart of this release. Thus, with the Switch lacking of it due to the use of the XBLA port as a base, the last hope for Triggerheart fans will be an Arcade Archives release since Hamster owns Warashi already.
Unfortunately, for Exelica and Crueltear, they will have to pass through the "Great Wall of Erusea" better known as Namco. A task easier to say than do considering the preference of Hamster towards Namco titles, but its not out of the realm of possibility.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki