Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings trilogy coming to PS4 and Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
D

Re: Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings trilogy coming to PS4 and Switch

Post by D »

Deserves it's own thread. Underrated shmup. I am a big fan.
Looking forward to seeing some footage and learn what extra's are included
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Wait a second...
Spoiler
The bosses are the mini-bosses of the second game :o (and they are better than most of the main boss of its sequels).
BIL

Post by BIL »

To clarify slightly, Sonic Wings 2 & 3 have been on ACA NeoGeo for years now. It's Sonic Wings that's finally received an ACA release.

So technically all three games are on ACA, but it's not a compilation or anything. They're collectively cheaper and more importantly better-quality than any comp not by M2, though. ;3

I hope we'll see ACA Sonic Wings Limited someday. For now, it's just nice having reference-standard Rabio Lepus, TURBOFAWRCE, and Sonic Wings all on one platform, for a bit of proto-Psikyo archaeology.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BIL wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:42 pm To clarify slightly, Sonic Wings 2 & 3 have been on ACA NeoGeo for years now. It's Sonic Wings that's finally received an ACA release.

So technically all three games are on ACA, but it's not a compilation or anything. They're collectively cheaper and more importantly better-quality than any comp not by M2, though. ;3

I hope we'll see ACA Sonic Wings Limited someday. For now, it's just nice having reference-standard Rabio Lepus, TURBOFAWRCE, and Sonic Wings all on one platform, for a bit of proto-Psikyo archaeology.
Everyone says "this is a pearl", "this is underrated" etc. (about a lot of games).
But no one voted for them during the Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time...so where were you all at the time? :roll:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Dragon Blaze is my usual #3 spot. :wink:
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Lemnear wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:08 pm
BIL wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:42 pm To clarify slightly, Sonic Wings 2 & 3 have been on ACA NeoGeo for years now. It's Sonic Wings that's finally received an ACA release.

Everyone says "this is a pearl", "this is underrated" etc. (about a lot of games).
But no one voted for them during the Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time...so where were you all at the time? :roll:
The Strikers 1945 series kinda logically got all their votes.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

But no one voted for them during the Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time...so where were you all at the time?

Honestly, I never played it until I got that Astro City thing. But it's good! Definitely my biggest surprise of the... whatever you call it. Collection?
Anyway, I can't vote for games I haven't played.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Lemnear wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:08 pmEveryone says "this is a pearl", "this is underrated" etc. (about a lot of games).
Just because you think a game is better than its overall "prestige" (for lack of a better word) would suggest doesn't necessarily mean you think it's one of the greatest of all time.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

however i can beat anything in the trilogy except Osaru, i have no idea how to dodge it...zero.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lemnear wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:49 pm however i can beat anything in the trilogy except Osaru, i have no idea how to dodge it...zero.
I had to credit feed the last level so badly to beat that thing... And then the actual boss is afterwards, right?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

bobrocks95 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:07 pm
Lemnear wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:49 pm however i can beat anything in the trilogy except Osaru, i have no idea how to dodge it...zero.
I had to credit feed the last level so badly to beat that thing... And then the actual boss is afterwards, right?
Yes, and it is somewhat "easier". Osaru shoot quickly and maybe randomly ? i can't understand his patterns, it seems chaotic :? (and too much fast).

Only the first Aero Fighers/Sonic Wings was made by "Psikyo" right? Also, the whole trilogy shares that type of patterns (2 or 3 different type shot, at different velocity that sometimes chains together in a lethal attack, and if you are too slow to kill the boss, the boss fires a "rare" attack).
Mero

Post by Mero »

Lemnear wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:44 am

Only the first Aero Fighers/Sonic Wings was made by "Psikyo" right?
Made by Video System, but some of the staff that worked on it went on to Psikyo.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Made by Video System, but some of the staff that worked on it went on to Psikyo.

I was unaware of this (game company staffing minutia was never really my thing)
Suddenly, it all makes sense
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Mero wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:51 am
Lemnear wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:44 am

Only the first Aero Fighers/Sonic Wings was made by "Psikyo" right?
I'm surprised to find that the second game doesn't involve members of "future-psikyo".
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The main designer was Shin Nakamura. Apparently he had a falling out with Video System and chose to found Psikyo along with some other staff after doing the first Aero Fighters. Some say he disagreed with their decision to support MVS hardware. Due to the multi-cartridge game swap format of the MVS every game has to be 4:3 and can't use a rotated vertical monitor.