Inflation - How is it affecting you?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Sima Tuna

Re: Inflation - How is it affecting you?

Post by Sima Tuna »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:08 pm

Taxes increases are just brutal and feel really unfair with the way things are going. I mean people are struggling enough already and then taxes get shot up on top of everything.
Yeah, that or rent increases for those who rent. Seems like landlords are well and truly trying to price anyone who isn't rich out of housing. Heard a number of horror stories of landlords jacking up rent to deliberately push out the current tenants in favor of richer ones.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

My son lives in Idaho (used to be Florida). He lives in shared accomodation with his boss and maybe one other I can't remember. Its a nice brand new home with all the modcons but it made me wonder if shared accomodation is becoming the norm over there right now. The last home I bought in the USA was new, I had some say in the construction of it as it was a free lot, I extended the garage so I could put a mini arcade in the back of it which I did. I put 2 astro city cabs in there and a Capcom Impress. This was in 2003 and I bought it for $107k. Looking at the real estate website that exact address is valued at $215k now. So thats 10k a year increase year on year. But something tells me the hike shot up in recent years.

I always thought the USA was immune from house pricing hikes because you just have so much land available in the USA. But for some reason house prices shot up. Looking on the websites I cannot believe how expensive homes are over there.

As for me and my local area, its not the availability of clubs and groups its just me. My mental/physical state says stay at home. I did go out in the past couple of weeks to sort out some banking issues I have and my mother is in hospital and she has hit that age where shit goes wrong so I'm going to visit her often. I'd rather go to gaming markets and do projects at home. I'm building a retro rig at the moment with 2 console stations, 2 monitors and a speaker setup just for shmups with 2 arcade joysticks (mainly for shmups).

I am getting old, my mind says "wouldn't it be nice if...." but my body is saying "just sit in front of the computer old man".. and my wallet is thanking my body :lol:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

neorichieb1971 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:43 pmI always thought the USA was immune from house pricing hikes because you just have so much land available in the USA. But for some reason house prices shot up. Looking on the websites I cannot believe how expensive homes are over there.

Speculators want their investments to increase in value, guess who decides what things cost. It's nonsensical, but it does feel disconnected from any base product.

Really around ~2006 was when things began to balloon. Everything about ~2008 haunts us still - we didn't pull the rot out when we had the chance (in theory... in practice there's never an opportunity to vote against the banks. A Theodore Roosevelt wouldn't be allowed in to shine the lowliest staffer's shoes, in our current environment. It's kind of scary how monstrous things have become, under the cosmetic white-washing surface they project).

I often talk about how many of my colleagues jumped on property in Colorado. I think orange used to call BS on my claims of the land being affordable there, but it really was! He was just born a few years too late. My hippy computer-toucher friends ruined it for everyone else. Sorry.

I am getting old, my mind says "wouldn't it be nice if...." but my body is saying "just sit in front of the computer old man".. and my wallet is thanking my body :lol:

Yeah, I've been feeling the specter of aging myself. It's actually nice in one sense that it's easier now for my brain to focus on other things than you know. But on the other hand, it kind of feels like I'm dead sometimes.

When Gaijin mentioned earlier in this thread about the generation we're talking about, I thought we were talking about pre-retirement working age people in general, between 18 and ~50:

"Aren't... aren't we the grandpas, now??!"
Last edited by BryanM on Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

BryanM wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:46 am

"Aren't... aren't we the grandpas, now??!"
4x over yikes.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I've felt old my entire life. Chronic illness at 11, going bald by 18. The fuck I'm gonna care when I'm actually old? :lol: Every year older I get is a year closer to my appearance matching my age.