New power supply for PC?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

New power supply for PC?

Post by Rock Man »

So my PC has been broke for a year now, I've finally decided to stop putting it off and try to fix it. The symthoms are it randomly shutdown while browsing. I've had it fully repaired before with a new HDD installed but that didn't fix the problem. Even tried swapping graphics cards and power cables yet the shutdowns persists.

I surmise my power supply is the culprit. I have no way of knowing until it's replaced. So I'm gonna buy a new one! Btw here are the specs for my reg:

https://mega.nz/file/CjoCDQIB#AyZGHQzGB ... eSOkY7VBD0

Hopefully you guys can find something that can help otherwise my only recouse is to try my psu idea or get a new PC. Anyone know of a decent one thar matches my pc specs?

One other thing, I am able to turn it on and get limited use out of it. It can even play video games without crashing. It's only when I'm in my files or browser for a long time is when it crashes.
Guspaz

Re: New power supply for PC?

Post by Guspaz »

Quick answer: get a SeaSonic
Long answer: consult the tier list: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

I presume you have removed any kind of OC on RAM, CPU, and GPU and have tried running your RAM sticks, one at a time and in different slots? I ask this because I had the same issue for a while and it ended up being a mild RAM overclock that I thought I had removed long ago but hadnt. That was on a Ryzen 1700 PC. RAM can be mofo for issues like that , so I always exhaust that avenue first. Run JDEC timings and try single sticks at a time for sure.

Its very odd that a PSU would cause issues while browsing and not necessarily while running full power like in a 3D Mark Timespy combined run. You didnt mention if it can do that. If it can, man it'd be strange if it was the PSU.

Ryzen CPUs running curve optimizer are notorious for shutting down/rebooting while doing things like simply navigating windows or web browsing because those light load scenarios are when the boost algorithms allow for single cores to boost to their absolute max frequencies, and any voltage deficiencies from curve optimizer offsets will rear their ugly heads there while not having an issue with a heavy load like an all core Cinebench run. That said, your 1700X doesnt support curve optimizer and Im aware of that, but your issue reminds me of my times using CO to tune my Zen 2 and Zen 3 rigs.

I still have my Ryzen 1700 in my HTPC rig, it gets used weekly, and I can say quite confidently that its probably among the most stable CPUs Ive ever owned as far as just being a rock solid, never failing, no BSODs or reboots workhorse. Im very curious as to what your issue ends up being.

If you do need a PSU, I've had very good luck with Corsair. You shouldnt need more than a 400W max for the rig you are running, should be fairly cheap.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Josh128 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:08 pm I presume you have removed any kind of OC on RAM, CPU, and GPU and have tried running your RAM sticks, one at a time and in different slots? I ask this because I had the same issue for a while and it ended up being a mild RAM overclock that I thought I had removed long ago but hadnt. That was on a Ryzen 1700 PC. RAM can be mofo for issues like that , so I always exhaust that avenue first. Run JDEC timings and try single sticks at a time for sure.
Overlocking? That could be the culprit; I recall when I overclocked my AMD card a while back it led to one shutdown, but then I returned the temperature back to the default and it was fine. I changed graphics cards and now I'm on Nvidia 1660 super. You think it's possible that whatever the default is that's too high?

I don't know anything about ram sticks or even if my pc has them.
Its very odd that a PSU would cause issues while browsing and not necessarily while running full power like in a 3D Mark Timespy combined run. You didnt mention if it can do that. If it can, man it'd be strange if it was the PSU.
The PSU is merely a guess because I've exhausted other avenues. Your Overclock explanation makes more sense I wish I thought about that
Ryzen CPUs running curve optimizer are notorious for shutting down/rebooting while doing things like simply navigating windows or web browsing because those light load scenarios are when the boost algorithms allow for single cores to boost to their absolute max frequencies, and any voltage deficiencies from curve optimizer offsets will rear their ugly heads there while not having an issue with a heavy load like an all core Cinebench run. That said, your 1700X doesnt support curve optimizer and Im aware of that, but your issue reminds me of my times using CO to tune my Zen 2 and Zen 3 rigs.

I still have my Ryzen 1700 in my HTPC rig, it gets used weekly, and I can say quite confidently that its probably among the most stable CPUs Ive ever owned as far as just being a rock solid, never failing, no BSODs or reboots workhorse. Im very curious as to what your issue ends up being.
Forgot to mention, I got a message sometime ago stating my PC doesn't meet minimum system requirements for Windows 11, shortly after that I started to seeing shutdowns. I wonder if Microshit planned something nefarious. :evil:

So I did a PC health check and it says my processor isn't supported for Windows 11. Might that have anything to do with the shutdowns?

Feels like I'm playing whack amole with this thing trying to find out which component is at fault. The PSU idea is one that a friend suggested but even I don't know if that's 100% accurate.
If you do need a PSU, I've had very good luck with Corsair. You shouldnt need more than a 400W max for the rig you are running, should be fairly cheap.
400W good to know. Before I get one I wanna try reducing temoratures on the OC, how would I do that? Is it in the GeForce options?
Guspaz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:14 pm Quick answer: get a SeaSonic
Long answer: consult the tier list: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/
Thx. I'm gonna try and draw down the temperature first
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Got my clock speeds!
Spoiler
These look normal?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

The best way to make sure all CPU and RAM is bone stock is to go into the BIOS and set to "optimized defaults". This will put RAM at JDEC (2133MHz) speed and timings, and also make sure no wonky tuning is applied to CPU. For the GPU, if you havent fooled around with undervolting or overclocking, its probably at stock already. However, your MSI aftermarket card may be slightly pre OC'ed because specs of a 970 are base 1050MHz/ boost 1178MHz and VRAM speed of 1753MHz. What you just posted is above that, but normal for an AIB card. That shouldnt be a problem, unless your GPU is just crapping out for some other reason.