SASI - JLF Lever Analog Arcade Mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SGGG2

SASI - JLF Lever Analog Arcade Mod

Post by SGGG2 »

Surprised to not see this here yet, so I might as well make a thread about it.

Reddit user Sharp02 has created a mod kit that turns the JLF into a fully fledged analog stick with hall sensors.
The Sharp Analog Snap-In, or SASI for short, is a modification for the Sanwa JLF that provides analog functionality. The SASI works by replacing the restrictor gate with a fully custom mod that senses the lever position and outputs a voltage.

Why should you care?

Because it’s sick as fuck. And also this allows you to play games that rely on thumbstick motions without the hand pain that can come with a thumbstick. I made this with the intention of playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, and had to really speed up work on the SASI mod because my thumbs are starting to really feel the effects of playing this game.

But, this works for so many games. Think not just Smash, but Super Mario Odyssey, or Rocket League, or even Among Us. ඞ This brings back a new (or old) way of playing twin stick shooters too! There’s a lot you can do with this. If you really wanted, it could be a single axis lever for whatever game you’re playing.

How does it work?

This works around something that’s finally starting to see more love in the consumer market: a hall effect sensor. The short of it is that it measures magnetic field strength (or a magnet’s distance) and outputs a voltage (an analog signal).

It’s got some 3D printed parts (PLA or Nylon, pick your poison) and a custom built PCB to handle all of that.

In the past few days I’ve gotten some questions that imply this uses a microcontroller- IT DOES NOT USE A MICROCONTROLLER. This uses some old arcane (not really) circuitry to amplify and shift the signal from the hall effect sensor to match what controllers and controller boards expect. I’m using mine on a padhacked Gamecube Controller PCB (Rumor has it you can see the board in the post picture if you upvote). It works on some Brook boards, and it’s looking like there’s functionality soon on the GP2040-CE too.
Details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fightsticks/co ... nt/j567yoe

GitHub: https://github.com/Sharp-02/JLF-Sharp-Analog-Snap-In

Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1397748983 ... icks-sharp
BazookaBen

Re: SASI - JLF Lever Analog Arcade Mod

Post by BazookaBen »

I'd love to try this with Gradius V and other games with an analog option
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

That's cool, thanks for sharing that!
Deubeul

Post by Deubeul »

That's a very interesting mod, I really hope that it will inspire someone to design a rotary mod for the Data East/SNK 8 way shooters.... Midnight Resistance!!!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Or Heavy Barrell or even Victory Road for that matter. What we really need is a modern-day successor to the legendary SNK LS-30 rotary joystick setup to be re-released. Some of the current eBay prices for a new or used set of LS-30 rotary joysticks by themselves are just plain insane nowadays.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~