Missile Dancer 2 demo out on Steam...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

Missile Dancer 2 demo out on Steam...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Was browsing the demoes section of Steam and lo behold, came across a cool unexpected demo by the name of Missile Dancer 2 (which was released on 11/13/2023) from developer Terarin Games -- is at demo version 0.5.9 as of right now. Runs at a silky-smooth arcade-spec 60fps framerate on a Steam Deck setup.

MD2 pays homage to the classic Sega "Super Scaler" series of arcade game titles of Afterburner II, Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II that were done by famous arcade game developer Yu Suzuki. I like the cool demo runs as it shows some of the various stages with enemies to take out giving MD2 that classic "old-school" arcade game vibe/gameplay going on. You can grab various power-up icons (including napalm missiles amongst other power-ups) to upgrade your fightercraft during each stage to help you get further. An arcade stick or a flight stick is recommended to properly play it for a extra bit of realism.

MD2 looks awesome if running on a larger HD or 4K UDH screen setup for that unmistakable "larger-than-life* 16:10 aspect ratio overall presentation if using a Steam Deck with a 1st-party or 3rd-party manufactured Steam Dock setup. Color me impressed with this MD2 demo as the gameplay is quite stellar.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
RobotParking

Re: Missile Dancer 2 demo out on Steam...

Post by RobotParking »

I stumbled upon this demo a day or two ago, too! Really love how it looks and plays. I'm a mark for Terarin's stuff anyways, but this feels pretty special.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Is it on Japan eshop?
velo

Post by velo »

The look is After Burner/G-Loc, but it feels like the "lock on and roll to dodge" style of After Burner balanced with the free dodging and aiming of Space Harrier. Most rail shooters lean hard one way or the other. I like it. It makes me want to check out Missile Dancer 1.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Missile Dancer 1 is quite different, it's a vertical shmup where the main weapon is lock on missiles.
I liked it.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Like ray Z trilogy yes love it