Retro Access is having a extreme personal crisis and could use help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Retro Access is having a extreme personal crisis and could use help

Post by kitty666cats »

If you look at their Twitter, you can get a much better understanding of what they’re going through. I’ve been through some intense personal crises before (particularly this year), but they pale in comparison to the unfortunate twists in life that R-A is being afflicted with. If you have a Twitter, check in on the massive setbacks they’ve been dealing with and please try to feel for them, despite what cable orders you may have been completely left in the dark about this year.

https://twitter.com/retroaccess

^ Here is their Twitter

https://retro-access.com/products/donat ... 6564&_ss=r

^ Here’s a page where you can lend a helping hand & they’re being professional and downplaying their personal crises, but if you check their and Twitter you can get a much better understanding of what this cable-maker dedicated to (trying) to provide the best cables you can get your hands on is suffering through.

Every little bit helps, they’re essentially left only with their cats (who need medical attention that may not be able to be paid for) and a lack of friends after moving across the Atlantic Ocean to be with a romantic - and business - partner who has thrown a massive curveball into their ability to thrive.

Link once again:

https://retro-access.com/products/donat ... 6564&_ss=r

Hopefully one day they will find themselves happy & healthy with great friends,’potential employees, collaborators, or distributors capable of producing cables matching their standard of quality.

Hope you all are well, and I hope you all have a partner that can stay dedicated to you & retain their love forever, or at least never leave you blinded in a dire situation.

~ Mike
<3
Gara

Re: Retro Access is having a extreme personal crisis and could use help

Post by Gara »

It's really tragic what's going on with her situation. I hope she can turn things around and find the motivation to keep going. With their quality and ability to fill their order quota whenever they wanted I always figured they were doing so well. If you're able then please provide whatever help you can. I hope we can all keep her in the scene
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Is Retro Access a single person or an entity/group of people? It is very sad to read this stuff.

*EDIT - Ah is this the same lady whos been building and selling these cables for a good 8+ years now? What would be the best way anyone here could help?
Gara

Post by Gara »

Josh128 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:59 am Is Retro Access a single person or an entity/group of people? It is very sad to read this stuff.
Retro Access started out as Rachel and her husband (partner?) as far as I know. Within the last year or two they also had hired help at some point. From what I can gather from the Twitter posts her partner has left her and is off doing his own thing. So it's just her

RetroRGB Interview: Retro-Access from a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPLmIKw5wyg
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Josh128 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:59 am Is Retro Access a single person or an entity/group of people? It is very sad to read this stuff.

*EDIT - Ah is this the same lady whos been building and selling these cables for a good 8+ years now? What would be the best way anyone here could help?
Link in OP that leads to direct RA site
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I would also like to add, if people need SCART cables specifically - this seller may be remembered by some back in the day. Their SCART cables are very affordable, and while they look a bit thin, I can attest to their quality. My first ever SCART cable (for SEGA Saturn) was a sync-on-composite cable from this seller. They also sell on eBay, I found them by searching "shielded Saturn SCART cable" afaik. Their eBay page may be cheaper if you're clever and set your search terms to 'worldwide', I honestly forget.

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113728139230
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202661136161

They seem to operate under 2 eBay names? Just browse their cables with 'worldwide' activated and choose whicher is the cheaper of the two cables you're looking for. I had an Insurrection Industries synv on luma Saturn SCART cable that I bought quite a bit later than this. Noticed no difference in video quality or noise. It may have been my mind playing tricks, but I seemed to like this seller's cable better. Just a reminder that there's some semi-forgotten sellers out there other than the big three (RGC UK, Insurrection, Retro Access). This guy's name is Rob Webb, he's good people.

This was just a tangent. Donate to Retro Access and help them out if you can!
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I wish them the best, at the same time for me it's a business that i have done business with in the past (how often do you need cables?) and that's it. I don't need or want to hear everyone's life story when i order a product.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

spmbx wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:00 am (how often do you need cables?)
Every time you use them! Your setup wouldn't be as nice as it is without them. Get your point though, but hopefully once they weather this storm you won't have to hear about their life story again next time you want to buy another cable.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

spmbx wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:00 am I wish them the best, at the same time for me it's a business that i have done business with in the past (how often do you need cables?) and that's it. I don't need or want to hear everyone's life story when i order a product.
You are correct, but lets make clear that there is nothing about this crisis on the RA website or Ebay ads. She chose to use her business Twitter handle to ask for help, yes-- but the average Joe who needs cables and doesnt snoop around on Twitter or enthusiast sites like this one would never know anything is up except when they dont get their cables in time.

This whole phenomenon of asking for monetary donations from the public via the internet for personal crises took off with the advent of ubiquitous internet access and social media. Its main difference from historic charitable fundraisers is that normally, fundraisers sell a product, a meal, or a raffle ticket to raise money. Most of these "GoFundMe" type are just asking for a direct handout from complete strangers for nothing in return, which is basically identical to a person holding a sign on the street begging for money, except they arent actually on the street. The number of these we see nowadays is annoying, indeed, but thats because they basically have unlimited reach vs a homeless person standing on a street corner.

I personally choose empathy and compassion for these people when possible, but also dont think its ethical to donate more than a few dollars because depending on how high the profile or notoriety of situation, these campaigns can easily generate a ton of money by pulling on the heartstrings of thousands of people while the recipient can literally be laying in a warm cozy bed in their home or apartment racking up the cash. Not saying most of these charitable campaigns arent genuine, but some of them definitely might not be-- and the end goal for them is to help someone out of a bind, not make them rich or afford them a new car.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

kitty666cats wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:20 am Their SCART cables are very affordable, and while they look a bit thin, I can attest to their quality.
Your experience and mine are completely different sir :D :lol:
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Sad to hear. I was desperetly trying to order a Dreamcast component cable from them last year but their website didnt have an option to deliver to Europe. I sent them several mails but they never replied. :-(
If anyone are in touch with them and they still have those cables I'm still willing to buy.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

RebeL9 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:12 pm Sad to hear. I was desperetly trying to order a Dreamcast component cable from them last year but their website didnt have an option to deliver to Europe. I sent them several mails but they never replied. :-(
If anyone are in touch with them and they still have those cables I'm still willing to buy.
They have never made a Dreamcast component cable, see you thinking of RGC UK?
Lamprey

Post by Lamprey »

That is a bummer to hear. I hate to see anyone stuggeling.

I don't know exactly how they work, I wish they would implement some sort of queue system to order cables. I've been wanting to get about 10 more scart cables from them but I don't have time to constantly check to see if they are available. So, unfortunately, I've had to buy from another place. But, I sure do love their multicore coax cables.

Hopefully they can get things right in their life.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I had to check this wasn't just posted, but she's said she's shuttering the business because her spouse paid the taxes in full and left them with no savings. It's one event after another with these 2...

https://twitter.com/retroaccess/status/ ... 3341979676
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

There was a follow-up asking for interest in help producing cables and I know a handful of old orders did ship out recently. There was good engagement from people offering to help (and she is offering to pay), but you never know if someone will be able to follow through, what logistics will look like, etc. Hoping for the best.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Made a small donation, hope things get better for her
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

She's literally always like this, I shouldn't even have posted, it's not 'news' haha
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

ldeveraux wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:59 am She's literally always like this, I shouldn't even have posted, it's not 'news' haha
You are right. This is a bit over the top. If its that much of a problem, she should sell the business , use the money to get situated, and just get a 9-5 like 90% of the other people in this country. We all have problems and crises, every single one of us, at different times in our lives. Constantly publicly begging strangers for handouts is not the way to handle them, IMO.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Problem is, there is no sign of anyone else being able to step up to the plate and offer that beautiful thick coax, unmatched clean audio (with audio breakout leads at least), and especially custom D-Sub cables for all systems. The hobby kinda needs this lady.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

fernan1234 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:48 pm Problem is, there is no sign of anyone else being able to step up to the plate and offer that beautiful thick coax, unmatched clean audio (with audio breakout leads at least), and especially custom D-Sub cables for all systems. The hobby kinda needs this lady.
When i first went RGB, I bought ~8 SCART cables from RA. 1 didn't work at all and 2 broke when I dared to bend them. They replaced the broken one, but I repaired the solder on the other 2. With the quality and lack of replies in a month, I just went with RGC from that point. Somehow arrived faster from the UK to US, never broke, didn't have to put up with the quirky ordering process. I'm not sure what advantages RA has over RGC, but it's not in the SCART cables in my experience.
Gara

Post by Gara »

fernan1234 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:48 pm Problem is, there is no sign of anyone else being able to step up to the plate and offer that beautiful thick coax, unmatched clean audio (with audio breakout leads at least), and especially custom D-Sub cables for all systems. The hobby kinda needs this lady.
It would be a huge lose. Custom cable lengths and complete customization of Scart, DB15, and BNC cables all while having the best quality in the retro gaming scene is a big luxury. I really don't see anyone rushing to fill this gap. My own setup is made up of more than 30 of her cables.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Sure, I've bought some Euro Scart and JPN 21-pin RGB based retro console cables from Retro Access in the past. They all work like a charm with absolutely no issues to contend with.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Insurrection Industries makes great RGB cables.

They're all SCART but you just can just buy an adapter if your display isn't SCART
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Gara wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:54 pm
It would be a huge lose. Custom cable lengths and complete customization of Scart, DB15, and BNC cables all while having the best quality in the retro gaming scene is a big luxury. I really don't see anyone rushing to fill this gap. My own setup is made up of more than 30 of her cables.
I assemble my own video & audio cabling for my personal needs and it's not a process I would care to make a living out of. The scale of demand involved would classify it as hard work in my opinion.

I can't personally speak to the quality of Retro Access since I've never used any, though a good friend in another state relied on her to supply JP21 wired cables for all his stuff and I don't recall that he ever had any issues.
matt

Post by matt »

That's part of the problem! Making good cables isn't rocket science, and the materials she's using are commercially available. But it's a tedious job when you're doing it at scale.

I used to make custom RGB cables for people years ago. It was interesting at first and there was a good market for it, but it's not something I could do long term and maintain my mental health.