Touhou Gensou Eclipse (Cave/Mobile/2023)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KAI

Touhou Gensou Eclipse (Cave/Mobile/2023)

Post by KAI »

Couldn't find a thread for this game so Im making one since the opening video just dropped and the site was updated with a lot of info.

https://gensoueclipse.jp/
Trailer

The game will feature music from well-known touhou arrangers like Alstroemeria Records, IOSYS, COOL&CREATE and SOUND HOLIC, and also will be fully voiced.
Doesnt look that bad tbh, and I love its using a lot of those pointy Yagawa bullets.

Release date is november 22, and its available for pre-regisrtation right now.
Last edited by KAI on Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Far Away Times

Re: Touhou Gensou Eclypse (Cave/Mobile/2023)

Post by To Far Away Times »

Is this actually a video game or is it a microtransaction store with two currencies and timers that make you wait to play?
linko9

Re: Touhou Gensou Eclipse (Cave/Mobile/2023)

Post by linko9 »

I'm glad no one told 16-year-old me that Cave would one day make a Touhou game. I would have suffered through manic anticipation for almost two decades just to be rewarded with a (cue David Lynch) FUCKING PHONE.

But know knows, maybe this is the beginning of a return to form for Cave
Spoiler
LOL
dingsbums

Post by dingsbums »

I have just 2 questions basically.

1. Why in the hell does this not get released in physical form on a home console ?
2. Why :P ???

I really hope this gets a home console release - if it was possible for Air Twister it should be possible for this game as well.
https://twitter.com/Madstalker80
Skykid wrote: Get ready for the big bad world to fuck you up the ass in ways you never believed possible.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Is this on iOS? Can’t find it.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

It comes out on the 22nd in Japan, and up for "preorder" now: https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/東方幻想エクリプス/id6449170236 No international release announced, but you can switch your app store account to a Japanese account temporarily to install.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

dingsbums wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:13 am I have just 2 questions basically.

1. Why in the hell does this not get released in physical form on a home console ?
2. Why :P ???

I really hope this gets a home console release - if it was possible for Air Twister it should be possible for this game as well.
It's a live service gacha game. Don't expect a proper arcade style shmup or a return to form for CAVE, that's for sure.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Where's Marisa? Cowards.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

cj iwakura wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:09 pm Where's Marisa? Cowards.
Yeah, Touhou isn't complete without Reimu and Marisa, oddly enough...

Edit: Never mind. She IS in the game, what are you talking about?
Last edited by xxx1993 on Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Holy shit, it's not vaporware. I still have yet to figure out whether Touhou Puzzle Bobble or this is the bigger twist of fate.

To everyone upset that this is a phone game, I'm pretty sure the Deathsmiles phone game is the most successful thing CAVE's STG division has ever made in their entire history. If anything, I'd be stunned and maybe worried if this was not a phone game, because I'm not sure they even have the resources for anything else anymore.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

Well, this launched. After about a day of it being unplayable for iOS users due to a bug on their server, I have to say, the gacha game mechanics are way too complicated on this one to even make me feel like bothering… just like their other gacha game they make it a total pain
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

How much does this STG cost on the Japanese Apple store site?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Started playing it today. It’s fun so far, and I think I might like it more than Gomaotsu, but we’ll see how it goes. The only character I currently have other than Reimu is Sakuya.
Despatche wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:46 pmTo everyone upset that this is a phone game, I'm pretty sure the Deathsmiles phone game is the most successful thing CAVE's STG division has ever made in their entire history. If anything, I'd be stunned and maybe worried if this was not a phone game, because I'm not sure they even have the resources for anything else anymore.
Uh, you mean Gomaotsu, right? Because I’m pretty sure the actual iPhone port of Deathsmiles has made only a tiny amount of money for Cave compared to Gomaotsu. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s made more money than every other game they’ve made combined. Also, in most cases, it would require far more resources to make a successful f2p mobile game than it would to make a Cave-quality retail shmup.
PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:54 pm How much does this STG cost on the Japanese Apple store site?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
That would depend on what you mean by “cost”. Since it’s a f2p game, the upfront cost is $0. But if you mean “how much would I need to spend in order to experience all of the game’s current and future content?”, then the answer would be thousands of dollars. Of course, you’ll be unable to play the game at all once the servers eventually shut down. When will that be? Who knows! Could be a year from now, could be 10 years from now, or maybe even 20 years from now. It all depends on how successful the game is, and how long it will continue to generate enough profit.
:lol: