PC-Engine Duo R RGB Mod Dim Picture

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
raster

PC-Engine Duo R RGB Mod Dim Picture

Post by raster »

Hey all, I picked up a Duo R and the RGB mod from https://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/produc ... 74-mod-kit as they were one of the only options I could find with good European shipping. However after installing the mod I get a dim picture from my console.
I've got picture here along with my handwork: https://imgur.com/a/WanKtzn
Now I know. Not the cleanest joints. I don't have the steadiest hand for fine soldering. But I've wiggled the wires to make sure the connection is secure and none of the wires on IC903 are bridging adjacent pins.

The strange thing is, if I ground any of the pins sending R, G or B signals, the picture brightens up. It's like the amp can't combine all three signals at full brightness. I also get full brightness when using a composite cable, but that's in black and white as my TV is PAL and can't do NTSC colour.

I've done the jailbar fix by replacing resistors as detailed on Console5 but used the resistors bundled with their cap kit rather than what came with the RGB mod.

Duo-Rs aren't known to have capacitor issues but I did recap the board regardless.

I'm using a nice SCART cable (sync on composite) from retrogamingcables. Probing the output side of the amp, I get ground and +5v. Could the amp itself be at fault?
NoAffinity

Re: PC-Engine Duo R RGB Mod Dim Picture

Post by NoAffinity »

1) making sure you used this as reference for the jailbar fix locations. Theres faulty information floating around elsewhere out there. https://wiki.console5.com/wiki/Hu6260

2) you mention getting a composite signal via composite video cable, but also appear to have sync (csync) wired from the mod to the cvbs pin. Did you cut the pin short so it's not making contact with the pcb and cvbs signal? Alternatively, if you want to maintain cvbs and didnt already cut the pin short, you can remove the wire between mod board 'cs' and cvbs pin.
raster

Post by raster »

-I followed the Console5 jailbar guide and used resistors bundled with their cap kit. Attached a picture of that (C909 and C923).

-Good point about not needing sync on the output. I've now removed that wire, but the picture is the same.

Also double-checked the SCART cable to see if there were any resistors that the amp already includes. And switched to AW28 wire to make doubly sure that my soldering to the GPU is clean.Image
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Check the ground pin and ground points on the mini din 8, make sure all have good connectivity/continuity?

If I'm saying anything that contradicts the installation guide, disregard my suggestions. Theres multiple 5v inputs on the mod board? Try the other one for power inout and ground both ground points if I'm seeing that correctly that there's also more than one of those.
Last edited by NoAffinity on Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Yeah, might be a good idea to use a multimeter to make sure that all connections are indeed being made, and double-check for shorts, including on the mod board.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Also, if you are using cvbs for sync, there should be no components on the sync line of your scart cable, within the cable. You should get continuity from end to end.
raster

Post by raster »

Tried supplying +5v and ground to the output side of the board. It isn't shown in the installation photos and doesn't make a difference.
Image and Image are photos of the SCART connector, to show the sync line is clean.
Tested +5V on the output end of the SCART cable too.
Tested pins on the DIMM socket, pin 2 is properly grounded and nothing else is. Feeling pretty stumped and the seller of the amp asked what SCART cable I was using--I have the one linked on his store page--but hasn't gotten back to me for the past few days.
Lastly I'll add that I tested it on a LCD via Retrotink 2X SCART, same problem.
raster

Post by raster »

Four days with no response from the seller. Does anyone know of a PC-Engine RGB amp that ships to the UK? Voultar's mod looks solid but doesn't ship.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Voultar doesnt ship abroad? Currency units can be changed on his site. It'd be weird to be able to do that but not actually shio to countries that use said currency.

https://voultar.com/index.php?route=pro ... duct_id=53

What else is in your output chain, between scart cable and screen?
raster

Post by raster »

Even with GBP set Voultar doesn't ship to the UK, and is out of stock on the amp anyway.

I'm outputting directly through scart into my Trinitron, which has no issues doing RGB scart with Neo Geo or PS1, using the same brand of RetroGamingCables. Also tried testing on my LCD via Retrotink 2X SCART, and the picture is equally dim.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Maybe see if someone in the UK can do TurboNanza boards:
https://github.com/zaxour/TurboNanza
raster

Post by raster »

NoAffinity wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:32 pm Voultar doesnt ship abroad? Currency units can be changed on his site. It'd be weird to be able to do that but not actually shio to countries that use said currency.

https://voultar.com/index.php?route=pro ... duct_id=53

What else is in your output chain, between scart cable and screen?
Voultar is back in stock, and I'm visiting Canada soon, but he doesn't ship anywhere outside of the US. Shame.

Re: TurboNanza, I haven't been able to find anyone to do it. What do other people in PAL territories do when they get any Duo console?
atat

Post by atat »

Any solution to this?

I have the exact same RGB amp an hav dim/bad picture.
I have made many amps myself from the older ths7414 and have zero issues. Brought this just to skip the hassle.

Edit: I just want to update, I changed to an 7414 RGB amp solution and the picture is perfect.
Dont know whats the problem with oldskolconsoles RGB amp is.