NOISZ

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
m.sniffles.esq

NOISZ

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

There's a thread in the development section, but it left that awhile ago.
Just ported to Switch, but has been available for Steam and arcade for awhile (also an altered mobile version)

Polarity shooter meets rhythm game?
What's the deal?
kid aphex

Re: NOISZ

Post by kid aphex »

Looks pretty lame unfortunately.
But… it makes me dream about an STG mixed with Shin Megami Tensei, co-developed by the SMT team and someone like G.Rev…

Sorry if I gave anyone else a boner.
m.sniffles.esq

Re: NOISZ

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Two months later I have returned knowing the deal.

It's... something.

It's a boss rush where you dodge you ass off for the duration of a two-and-a-half/three minute long song. Attacking generates score, but you can't kill it any quicker.

Now for the thing

Firing on-beat scores more/builds multiplier and rank. Spamming fire or firing off beat scores less and will eventually make you unable to fire at all for a period. Also, it's not a polarity switcher. A shield can be tapped on-beat to make you invincible to blue-colored fire, while red-colored must be dodged.

Needless to say, those reliant on auto-fire should look elsewhere. Along those lines, I liked using an arcade stick more--due to all the dodging--but also because three minutes of constant tapping above 120bpm with a controller, leads to some major thumb cramping.

I think it's pretty fun, and certainly interesting. I don't know if I love it, but I enjoyed the hour or so I spent with it. They do a very good job of constantly throwing bullet patterns at you that almost feel as much of a puzzle game as a shooter. If you're someone dogmatic about exactly what a shooter should or should not be, don't bother. But, if you're not... it sure ain't boring.