post what you beleve is the most overrated shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Anonymous Goldfish

post what you beleve is the most overrated shmup

Post by Anonymous Goldfish »

for me its battle garegga
Rastan78

Re: post what you beleve is the most overrated shmup

Post by Rastan78 »

Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Anonymous Goldfish wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:33 pm for me its battle garegga
Okay, but why? I didn't get it at first either, until I realized that I wasn't really playing the game until I engaged with the rank and scoring systems. Once I did the game really opened up for me, and every run became "ok, but what if I tried X and Y differently?"
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Agreed.

I don’t think its a bad game in anyway, really… and it has a killer OST…
But the amount of praise it gets is excessive… praise to quality ratio is just way off… = most overrated.

Second most overrated is any Radirgy game.
Again, it’s the ratio.
In this case, the games are so awful that anyone claiming they’re even DECENT represents an insanely excessive amount of praise.
In other words, the fact that there are even a handful of fans of this god-awful series means its very, very overrated.

:P
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Ikaruga
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

is this Sloppy_J's sock puppet account? We already did this viewtopic.php?t=71936
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Radiant Silvergun for me. I also find Ikaruga overrated, but it at least scores some extra points for me due to the slick presentation.

Not me, but I did a quick Google search for "Radiant Silvergun overrated" and found this Reddit post that I think really covers my issues well.
MisterAmmosart wrote: Radiant Silvergun is the most overrated shooter ever made and a contender for the most overrated video game ever made.

The slowest moving object in the entire game is your ship.

Physical obstacles will kill you without giving you a chance to get out of their way. In some areas it is very easy to get locked into a position from which you can't move your ship to safety and have no choice but to slowly wait for the screen to advance far enough to die.

Enemies need to be chained or else your weapons won't be powerful enough to kill bosses before time out. Simply playing for survival is not an option.

Enemy boss timeouts are five minutes too long.

The way to ensure that you keep chains up is to not kill enemies, which is contrary to the entire god damned point of a shooter, being that you're supposed to shoot things. If you want to not-shoot things, you can play a not-shooter.

Playing the entire run takes too long.

The climax to the game's ending literally locks all weapons out, leading to the final moments of a shooter being spent with you not shooting anything.

Radiant Silvergun takes basically everything that I like about shooters and either subverts or abandons those concepts entirely. Every single time I have played the game I have found it to be completely unenjoyable from start to finish. Every single time.

The icing on the shitcake is how the game is a darling of journalists for the rare times they want to talk about shooters. I cannot and will not understand how anyone likes this game.

For the record, I'm no huge fan of most R-Type games (Delta and Final are OK, but not my favorites in the genre), but there's twenty years between the original R-Type and Radiant Silvergun, and I would say that R-Type's pacing is still better structured than RS. Given its age and how other shooters played at the time, R-Type's high reputation is deserved, and I can say that despite me not particularly liking it. I can't say the same for RS.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Starfighter wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:56 pmIkaruga
Only took 5 posts this time!
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

You know what, I'm feeling MUSHA today.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

hamfighterx wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:01 pm Radiant Silvergun for me. I also find Ikaruga overrated, but it at least scores some extra points for me due to the slick presentation.

Not me, but I did a quick Google search for "Radiant Silvergun overrated" and found this Reddit post that I think really covers my issues well.
Spoiler
MisterAmmosart wrote: Radiant Silvergun is the most overrated shooter ever made and a contender for the most overrated video game ever made.

The slowest moving object in the entire game is your ship.

Physical obstacles will kill you without giving you a chance to get out of their way. In some areas it is very easy to get locked into a position from which you can't move your ship to safety and have no choice but to slowly wait for the screen to advance far enough to die.

Enemies need to be chained or else your weapons won't be powerful enough to kill bosses before time out. Simply playing for survival is not an option.

Enemy boss timeouts are five minutes too long.

The way to ensure that you keep chains up is to not kill enemies, which is contrary to the entire god damned point of a shooter, being that you're supposed to shoot things. If you want to not-shoot things, you can play a not-shooter.

Playing the entire run takes too long.

The climax to the game's ending literally locks all weapons out, leading to the final moments of a shooter being spent with you not shooting anything.

Radiant Silvergun takes basically everything that I like about shooters and either subverts or abandons those concepts entirely. Every single time I have played the game I have found it to be completely unenjoyable from start to finish. Every single time.

The icing on the shitcake is how the game is a darling of journalists for the rare times they want to talk about shooters. I cannot and will not understand how anyone likes this game.

For the record, I'm no huge fan of most R-Type games (Delta and Final are OK, but not my favorites in the genre), but there's twenty years between the original R-Type and Radiant Silvergun, and I would say that R-Type's pacing is still better structured than RS. Given its age and how other shooters played at the time, R-Type's high reputation is deserved, and I can say that despite me not particularly liking it. I can't say the same for RS.
Same...and is strange, because i LOVE Ikaruga.
pja

Post by pja »

Mad Shark
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Hotdog Storm
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Can't say I understand all the love for Esp Ra De. To me it is the weakest of the Esp series.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

The most overrated in casual gaming circles and the most overrated on this forum (or just STG fans in general) are probably two different things. A case could be made for Jamestown for the former group, where I have seem it recommended many times to people looking to play a shmup.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Cleared Radiant Silvergun a couple months ago, so my memory is fresh. I personally agree about it being overrated. Not for the reasons that others have said though. For me, it's the gameplay system. Too much busy work for me. The bosses and presentation are all top notch, but again, to me, it feels like I'm juggling an orange, apple, banana and whatever else all at the same time. I like my shmups too be more straight forward and less busy.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Awful thread.

At least it's given me a list of people whose opinions I know to never listen to.
Last edited by cfx on Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I'd have to say Mushihimesama, but Cave's stuff all blends together for me.
EmperorIng wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:17 pm You know what, I'm feeling MUSHA today.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Slap Fight
Despite trying to get into it a number of times over a couple decades period, I can't recall ever enjoying playing it.

Battle Garegga and Ibara are a couple others that drew me back numerous times over the years because of their revered status but I've never gotten the hang of nor enjoyed them, but i still think theyre awesome.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou PCBs go for $4,000 or so, right? That one.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

pablumatic wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:44 am DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou PCBs go for $4,000 or so, right? That one.
That's overpriced, not overrated!

I fourth or fifth Radiant Silvergun, and that nice list a bit up there covers almost all of why.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

DejahThoris wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:09 am That's overpriced, not overrated!
Correct. A good indicator that the game is overrated as well.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Raiden II.

Also, the Raiden Fighters series.

Most Psikyo games.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

pablumatic wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:30 am
DejahThoris wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:09 am That's overpriced, not overrated!
Correct. A good indicator that the game is overrated as well.
Not necessarily. Some awful games have high price tags not because they're rated even remotely well, but because they're limited in quantity. Like Magical Chase or that SNES Exertainment Mountain Bikerally / Speed Racer combo cart.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Lemnear wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:46 pm Same...and is strange, because i LOVE Ikaruga.
Btw...i like Batsugun, but not Tatsujin/Ou.
I like Parodius but not Gradius, despite is simply a "reskin".
I love Blazing Star, but not Pulstar (not at the same Level).
I love GigaWing but not other Takumi games...
I like DoDonPachi and ProGear, but not Esp.RA.DE and ESPgaluda.

So...¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Last edited by Lemnear on Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

The most overrated shmup is whatever one you (the person reading this) like the most.

The most underrated shmup is my favorite one. It's underrated because I say so.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

F-Zero GX
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

I have only one shooter i own which i regret buying and therefore is my most overrated and that is Sol Cresta. Outside of the music, which i like, everything else is a convoluted mess of gameplay mechanics and the worst graphical 'artstyle' I've seen. It probably goes down as my most disappointing release, i like Platinum/Hamster and grew up playing Terra Cresta in the arcades.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

In the end...if a SHMUPS doesn't have any "particular" mechanics or style, i can't recognize if is good or not (Toaplan stuff for example).
I've not the knowledge to know "when is good" or not in that case, or overrated.
I'm sure that i will appreciate Battle Garegga more with the experience...more than just the music and the explosions.