Contra: Operation Galuga

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: Contra: Operation Galuga

Post by Sumez »

There might have been other examples in the past, it's kinda hard to prove one way or another - but this is the first time I remember seeing a clear-cut example of LRG actually preventing a retail release (in at least one region).

I'm not a fan of LRG, but I often consider them a necessary evil in ensuring physical releases of games that would otherwise never have gotten them in this era. It's fantastic that niche releases with few expected sales are still able to release physically and make money back - companies like LRG should be celebrated for that, even if it's not an ideal deal, and especially bad for anyone outside of North America.
But when a LRG deal comes at the cost of what would otherwise have been a regular retail release, there is really no defending it at all. It's is 100% purely a bad deal for the consumers that benefits the publisher and no one else.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I always laugh at that one time when I bought the Blaster Master Zero games from LRG and forgot about them. Then the Japanese versions released without LRG's involvement at all and were cheaper, have the Japanese physical-exclusive voice acting that both the Japanese digital and LRG versions lack, and released several months before the LRG versions shipped, and then the LRG versions showed up in the mail suddenly one day and I was like "lol don't need these crappy overpriced incomplete versions of games that I already got cheaper complete versions of three months ago". That was an interesting experience.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

There's no guarantee any other retail releases of those games would have existed if the LRG release didn't, though. I'm fine with LRG releases existing alongside other regional releases. Just get whatever is the cheapest to you, that's not really a problem. The bullshit is when we'd have had it better without them.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Steven wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:03 am In a rare reversal, Europe, instead of being the only region that gets screwed, is in this case the only region that doesn't.
Haha, this is true. I recently picked up the Klonoa PS5 Pegi disc, which is a title that didn’t see a physical release at all in America. It is unusual, but it does happen from time to time. I imagine we will see this more often as certain regions disproportionately adopt digital media. That’s not even touching on platform exclusive physical releases in which some systems are lucky to receive disc/cart at all, while another sees a wide release at retail, even though the game is available digitally on all platforms.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKXZh2X3Fg

Probably the most accurate review of the game :lol:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I hope xxx1993 doesn't watch that
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I've been playing it on steamdeck on normal with 1 hit rules and haven't made it past stage 2. I keep starting from stage 1 once I lose all my lives in stage 2, and it kinda irks me that it puts a forced save state at the beginning of stage 2. It feels pretty good with the exception of the down angled shot sometimes doesn't register? something feels weird about that angle of shot in particular and I can't put my finger on it. it feels stuck in a way

it's not the best but I've had casual fun with it so far
Last edited by Some-Mist on Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a creature... half solid half gas
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Lemnear wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:53 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKXZh2X3Fg

I hope you're being sarcastic. Wouldn't trust this guy on games like this lol.
ryu

Post by ryu »

His criticism of the game sounds reasonable to me when I consider it against footage of the game I've seen.
But for all his badmouthing it he's beaten it four times in a row, so it's probably not as awful of a game as he claims. :roll:
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Rastan78 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:48 pm I hope xxx1993 doesn't watch that
xxx1993 got his account deleted.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:45 am
Oh no no nononon what have we done!? We're supposed to care and critical about the story in Contra games but we didn't. We must atone ourselves by making a Contra fanfiction to make xxx1993 happy.
ryu

Post by ryu »

He can still browse the forum as a guest though
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

copy-paster wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:53 am
Oh no no nononon what have we done!? We're supposed to care and critical about the story in Contra games but we didn't. We must atone ourselves by making a Contra fanfiction to make xxx1993 happy.
First people didn't get totally hyped for operation wolf returns and now this!? What is the world coming to?
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Sumez wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:50 pm I hope you're being sarcastic. Wouldn't trust this guy on games like this lol.
I'm not so sure :?
ryu wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:40 pm His criticism of the game sounds reasonable to me when I consider it against footage of the game I've seen.
But for all his badmouthing it he's beaten it four times in a row, so it's probably not as awful of a game as he claims. :roll:
Yeh, exactly...and there's a lot of gameplay :? and yes...looks like a mobile game...
why? :shock:
cfx

Post by cfx »

Lemnear wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:20 pm
Sumez wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:50 pm xxx1993 got his account deleted.
viewtopic.php?t=73134
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

cfx wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:39 pm
Sumez wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:50 pm xxx1993 got his account deleted.
viewtopic.php?t=73134
Oh...ohu :cry:
BIL

ETERNAL PROMISE / GOODBYE X93 (;`w´;)

Post by BIL »

I'm surprised the bosses actually Old Yellered him, tbh. I bet I could've lured him back from the ledge with the offer of an Expendables IV watch party. Actually I just remembered we once had a reviews show.

Image Image

Anyway take it easy out there x93, hopefully Aleste Branch Davidian Daisakusen or whatever it's called will be out by the time of your return. ;3

I was going to sign off and now I'm crying like shit because when I went looking for our show I found the post where I tried to explain to x93 that John Rambo is essentially a retarded dog that can talk.
I wish I could go back wrote:"They will put him down" muttered my dad "NO SHIT" said big bro *sad gay sounds* said dog while hiding behind my mom's skirt.
Ghegs if I ask real nice could you Old Yeller me too >_> Just for future reference, don't actually do it yet, I got STs to write ;3
Ghegs

Re: ETERNAL PROMISE / GOODBYE X93 (;`w´;)

Post by Ghegs »

BIL wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:25 pmGhegs if I ask real nice could you Old Yeller me too >_> Just for future reference, don't actually do it yet, I got STs to write ;3
'twasn't me!

Old Yellering you would cut out a piece of the forum's soul, and we can't have that.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BIL

Re: ETERNAL PROMISE / GOODBYE X93 (;`w´;)

Post by BIL »

Ghegs wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:12 pm
BIL wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:25 pmGhegs if I ask real nice could you Old Yeller me too >_> Just for future reference, don't actually do it yet, I got STs to write ;3
'twasn't me!
My apologies old friend. :oops: :lol: Twas only a recognition of your high rank in our beloved farm. Image
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

idk if I've seen iconoclast post here in awhile, but man his arcade hard no death clear from 5 days ago is pretty dang sick
inspiring for a game seemingly not well received
BIL

Post by BIL »

Some-Mist wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:07 am idk if I've seen iconoclast post here in awhile, but man his arcade hard no death clear from 5 days ago is pretty dang sick
inspiring for a game seemingly not well received
Now there's a bloodening name! I'll have to see what he thinks of it.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

Tbh I’d imagine he might be bored with it since he took minimal damage* but he had some wild maneuvers while quickly weapon switching to maximize damage that I hadn’t even considered. Still an awesome run and I’d be curious too

I don't watch many electric underground videos, but I watched half of this one and my favorite part is how stepping can ruin this game, and iconoclast’s video basically says "hold my beer"

Edit: actually just finished it lol. He’s got some real points. Iconoclasts run just got me super hyped to boot it up tbh
Steven

Post by Steven »

So I haven't really paid attention to anything aside from the Steam forums, which are terrible enough to be useless, as they always are, and mostly complaining about spending that much money for a 2 hour game (I'd love to show them the $60,000 USD price of AES Metal Slug 1 and tell them that it's 30 minutes long), but how is it, specifically the enemy placement and stage design?

Too lazy to go watch a Youtube video and Google sucks anyway so I'd rather not give them any traffic if I can help it. The only reason that I haven't moved all of my shitty replays over to some other video hosting place is because I'm lazy and don't feel like putting in the effort, but I would love to do it eventually when I decide to care enough.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Iconoblast's video makes the game look a lot more fun than other footage I've seen. But it also really shows that it's a modern action game made explicitly for speedrunning rather than a traditional run and gun. :roll:
Steven

Post by Steven »

That's... weird. I guess it's no different from any Metroid game in that sense (except Prime 2 and Samus Returns, both of which seem to be specifically designed to waste the player's time), so at least that's... good?
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I watched both of Iconoclast's runs at he w/end which were great, but it's still a £5 buy in 3 mths for me.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Lemnear wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:53 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKXZh2X3Fg

Mark absolutely hit the nail on the head with this review. Sadly, Galuga is another casualty of modern game design. Only thing he forgot to mention is how the selectable 360 aiming option makes the game an even bigger joke.
velo

Post by velo »

Lemnear wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:08 pm
cfx wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:39 pm
viewtopic.php?t=73134
Oh...ohu :cry:
RIP, and for what it may be worth, I do sort of care about the plot in my Contras.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

-Fish- wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:17 pm

Mark absolutely hit the nail on the head with this review. Sadly, Galuga is another casualty of modern game design. Only thing he forgot to mention is how the selectable 360 aiming option makes the game an even bigger joke.
WayForward has never excelled in level design...it's nice, it works, but there's always something wrong.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I've always liked the idea of Wayforward games more than actually playing them. I tried Shantae on GBC and thought it was ambitious but kinda frustratingly designed. Played Risky's Revenge and bounced off it, hard. I've seen a lot of the other games and they look generically appealing but something in the design puts me off. I haven't played Mummy Demastered, which some say is their best game. So maybe I'd enjoy that one more. What I have seen and played of their output has not impressed me.