Contra: Operation Galuga

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Contra: Operation Galuga

Post by BrianC »

Looks like one of those classic TV show remakes that recast a character with an ill fitting actor and got the personality of the character completely wrong.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. Lmao
One nitpick that I'm sure I'm "supposed" to like is that the game is on a board. I get the reference with that but something about it takes me out and REALLY pushes the whole "everything just looks like toys" vibe that I don't like.

Advance wars machines are adorable but they still looked metallic. Scrunchy, fat little tanks but it was just a style choice of the world. WayForward went suuuper far into the toy look and I dont care for it.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

I don't know. I understand people complaining about the look. I did a double take the first time I saw the trailer too, but at the same time, I've learned not to quickly discount a game based on just looks. I remember back in the day, seeing Zelda Wind Waker and HATING the look. Once I started playing, I fell in love with it. Now it's easily top 3 Zelda games for me. Same with the Remake they did for Links Awakening and more recent games like Advance Wars Remake. I say, as long as the new Contra feels good in my hands and the controls are top notch, I'll be on board. My old man self would always kill for some good old fashioned sprite work, but I am also starting to open up to new art style, alas Metroid Dread.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Gamer707b wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:32 pm I don't know. I understand people complaining about the look. I did a double take the first time I saw the trailer too, but at the same time, I've learned not to quickly discount a game based on just looks. I remember back in the day, seeing Zelda Wind Waker and HATING the look. Once I started playing, I fell in love with it.
Commenting on the look and expectations of how it plays are two separate things. How it plays is pure speculation, based more on everything else WayForward has made recently.
What it looks like is something we know already know, and honestly I don't think it looks too bad, but it does look incredibly bland and cheap. Doubly so when compared to the lush Henk Nieborg backgrounds of their previous Contra game.
I don't think the comparison to Wind Waker is fair. That game has a very distinct, if polarizing visual style with a lot of character. Contra Galuga has no style, and no character. :P
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Sumez wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:12 pm the lush Henk Nieborg backgrounds
I'm glad I have a name for this now. I was playing Shantae 2 recently after talking in this forum and as much as I already loved the way it looked growing up, as an adult it's even more striking. His foliage especially is just a treat.
Last edited by XoPachi on Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sumez wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:30 pm Image
Sorry, nothing's showing up in your comment.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Sumez wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:12 pm
Gamer707b wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:32 pm I don't know. I understand people complaining about the look. I did a double take the first time I saw the trailer too, but at the same time, I've learned not to quickly discount a game based on just looks. I remember back in the day, seeing Zelda Wind Waker and HATING the look. Once I started playing, I fell in love with it.
Commenting on the look and expectations of how it plays are two separate things. How it plays is pure speculation, based more on everything else WayForward has made recently.
What it looks like is something we know already know, and honestly I don't think it looks too bad, but it does look incredibly bland and cheap. Doubly so when compared to the lush Henk Nieborg backgrounds of their previous Contra game.
I don't think the comparison to Wind Waker is fair. That game has a very distinct, if polarizing visual style with a lot of character. Contra Galuga has no style, and no character. :P

That's a fair comment you make. I felt the same way about the look of the Advance Wars Remake fairly recently, but the more I played that game, the more the look grew on me. So, we'll see with this one.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Sumez wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:30 pm Image
Yeah, it came out when I was in high school.
We are going to die.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Funny, Saving Private Ryan is a military/war movie also.
HELLEPHANT

Post by HELLEPHANT »

XoPachi wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:30 pm
One nitpick that I'm sure I'm "supposed" to like is that the game is on a board. I get the reference with that but something about it takes me out and REALLY pushes the whole "everything just looks like toys" vibe that I don't like.

tbh, characters modern games often have such a "plasticine" look to them - something I noticed back when the Doom reboot was first revealed - that I wouldn't have recognized it as an artistic choice if it weren't pointed out :P
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow, I just tried Spidersaurs, and it really does not bode well for a Contra game from the same developers.

Although on the surface it seems to mimick Contra style gameplay quite well, it also does all the worst mistakes you don't want from a game of this type. The biggest of which is nearly every single enemy, right down to minor pests, being insane bullet sponges. I'm playing on the harder difficuly - not sure if that makes a difference, but it defnitely shouldn't.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:14 pm Wow, I just tried Spidersaurs, and it really does not bode well for a Contra game from the same developers.

Although on the surface it seems to mimick Contra style gameplay quite well, it also does all the worst mistakes you don't want from a game of this type. The biggest of which is nearly every single enemy, right down to minor pests, being insane bullet sponges. I'm playing on the harder difficuly - not sure if that makes a difference, but it defnitely shouldn't.
The GB port of Contra III made that mistake. The harder modes don't work like on SNES and make enemies into bullet sponges.
velo

Post by velo »

Sumez wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:14 pm Wow, I just tried [game of Type X], and it really does not bode well for a [X] game from the same developers.

Although on the surface it seems to mimick [X] style gameplay quite well, it also does all the worst mistakes you don't want from a game of this type.
I think you nailed Wayforward's house style. I thought Contra 4 was pretty good, though.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Looks ugly as sin, but the gameplay seems on point.

Hard Corps Uprising is the pinnacle in my book, or Contra 4 for the more classic style.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think Contra 4 is very very good. Easily up there with the best of the series, which is high praise for sure!
Spidersaurs, a mechanically very similar game, from the same developers, made much more recently, and probably by the same people who are working on Operation Galuga, is not even close to that ballpark.

I still won't judge this game until it comes out, but hopefully my fears are unfounded.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWr_uipRW-I

New gameplay trailer. And wow, new characters?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

They added the robots from the euro version, lol. Doesn't look too bad.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Adding Probotector isn't as awesome as the & Knuckles mode in Sonic Mania, which of course lets you play as everyone's favourite character combination of Knuckles & Knuckles, but it's pretty unexpected. I wonder if any PAL people actually like or miss the robots.
NYN

gimme a name, here

Post by NYN »

New trailer states "early 2024" as release.

The lines of dialoque go real Saturday Morning; if there is any "storytell", I'll think this operation fails for me.
Though the action shown, it looks "better" somehow, maybe even fun. Remains to be played.

Steven wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:11 amI wonder if any PAL people actually like or miss the robots.
I'd say PAL people (nice moniker! :) ) love it. Imagine being a '90s boy-kid, playing some faux Anime Terminator goons to blow stuff up. Just creeps like me feel betrayed of the muscle things that were original. (I hated it that they didn't have names like peeps, just serial numbers! Duh!) Clearly, a manly merc and a killer machine are paper-thin as protagonists, yet a 10-year-old wouldn't know it, going boom.
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The Probotector robots are awesome. Though European I don't remember ever actually playing any robot versions at the time.

Probotector 2 also has one of the coolest box arts on NES.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://thekoalition.com/2024/an-interv ... ion-galuga

Bumping this for another interview.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Nintendo Direct is tomorrow morning, so we should get something soon.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Get what? They've already shown all they could from this game
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

~interviewer~ wrote:Tomm, as a huge fan of WayForward, I’ve covered many of your company’s games on this site... What an exciting time for fans of the Contra franchise! It’s been a long wait for a truly promising game in the series and Contra: Operation Galuga looks to cure that itch... It features 30 action-packed missions... Some of my favorite gaming soundtracks of all time come from both KONAMI and WayForward. Having the two companies come together to make a game seems like a musical marriage made in heaven.
I know these interviewers are really just promotional appendages but boy is GARGLING those nuts.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Interviewer should be asking the real questions, such as "what guarantee do we have that this won't just be yet another lazy and soulless wayforward dayjob operation and about as fun to play as Spidersaurs?"
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sumez wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:26 am Get what? They've already shown all they could from this game
I mean a release date... And unfortunately, there was nothing for Contra on the Nintendo Direct today.
miwa

Post by miwa »

They actually did mention the release date. It's March 12th 2024

Also, there's a Demo available now on the eshop.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Oh....
Oh this is bad.

Runs like COMPLETE shit.