Contra: Operation Galuga

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: Contra: Operation Galuga

Post by Sumez »

Yes
BIL

Post by BIL »

I quite enjoy videogame lore, provided it gets out of my face when I want to skip it. Image ala pro wrasslin, done right, it's a garnish that adds a little gravity and heat to otherwise interchangeable scenarios of pure HARD GAYMING. While the prose could use a tune-up, I liked KOF MI2's recounting of Ryo and Geese's fight from AOF2 - it really captures Parachute Pants Man's deadly prowess! Geese had long hair then. :cool: Probably cut it so nobody confused him with Andy! :shock:
Fighting an SNK Boss will give your character PTSD!
He dreamt of the man-- A perfectly evil genius, more arrogant than anyone, who sent him reeling with his "spirit" as fierce as a whirlwind while his blond hair fluttered wildly. He and Ryo had only fought together once. And Ryo had won that time. But he was covered with wounds and barely standing, while the supposed loser had enough energy left to make his escape from the scene. If they had fought until either of them had run out of strength, perhaps he would not have been the victor. Ryo ruminated over that day's fight until daybreak, his eyes half open in the dim light.
If it's a garbage I can just skip it, unless I can't, which is when I'm gonna tell you to FUCK RIGHT OFF M8 (`w´メ)
xxx1993 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:26 amand made Bill Rizer himself the villain also.
I'm not so sure x93 Image In the arcane vessels of knowledge called books, the concept of rogue artificial intelligences with superiority complexes is well-known! So is that of cloned humans who doubt their personhood! Some even call these things... cliche. Well-worn. EASY to grasp! Unless you eat paint chips :[

Clone of Legendary Hero: Wait fuck, I never even did any of that stuff? Who am I really, then? :[
BigDIKKContraXPERT0079 LOL LMAO U SUKK PFFFFT XD
Genocidal Rogue AI: I'm the real Bill! BETTER than the real tbh! Bwahahahaaa~!

*AI gushes over how good Bill Rizer was at killing, and now, he has THE IMMORTAL BODY HE ALWAYS NEEDED TO KILL EVEN MORE, ENTIRE PLANETS EVEN, HNNNNG YEAAAAA*

BigDIKKContraXPERT0079: "BRUH, HE THE REAL THIGN :O" *logs into Contra Wiki*

As the AI warps itself into a planet-annihilating horror, and the clone and his faithful comrade stake their lives to save Earth, much as their legendary templates did... the forbidden arts of "inference" and "subtext" might suggest the identity of "the real Bill Rizer" was shown, not told! And indeed, that his "legend" was not in taking life, but standing in selfless defense of it - much as Mystery G did, just beforehand. Is be like some BEOWULF shit yo Image

You might even say, with poor GYABA locked up in the basement, the AI took on the role of not the hero, but the villain! :o

x93, as a fellow Lore Appreciator, I suspect Neo Contra's MGS reference was not limited to the boss lineup - but ALSO the plot serving as a kind of Selection For Social Sanity. Or rather... Selection For Contra Fans Who Don't Eat Paint. Image
Last edited by BIL on Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

BIL, please start a YouTube channel with a robot voice that reads your posts to a PowerPoint of somewhat related slides.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ExitPlanetDust wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:35 am BIL, please start a YouTube channel with a robot voice that reads your posts to a PowerPoint of somewhat related slides.
Thank you, I will consider it! Image Just last night I discovered to my chagrin that my PS5, unlike my PS4, can capture voice from mic - and thus I'd been HOT MICCED saying all kinds of things like "FAAACK M8" and "Oh no buddy, c'mon!" at Elden Ring! :O It seems the future is in audio. Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIL wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:22 am Selection For Contra Fans Who Don't Eat Paint. Image
I think we have the title for the new dedicated Contra thread on the shmups farm
BIL

AGGRESSION AND COMBAT RELEASES THE ANGER (`w´メ) (■`w´■)

Post by BIL »

I'd like the Contra Wiki to adopt a similar captcha for prospective editors ;3

Austin

Post by Austin »

ExitPlanetDust wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:35 am BIL, please start a YouTube channel with a robot voice that reads your posts to a PowerPoint of somewhat related slides.
Agreed, 100%. And some.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

ExitPlanetDust wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:39 pm The PS4 version however was unplayable for me. It was almost as bad as what I’ve seen in the Switch footage.
Gave the ps4 version a try. Wow you are correct, no idea how it could be this much worse. Hopefully ps4 and switch versions will get an early performance patch. Otherwise I'll pick it up on Steam.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Oh my God, they got Alejandro Saab as Lance Bean and Kira Buckland as Lucia Drake?! The latter is pretty much everywhere...
Austin

Post by Austin »

:roll:
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

No hard feelings x93, but I've seen users across shmup/arcade-like communities with the extreme obsession of video game lore (even for a game with barebones "story") and voice actors and they tend to be some of the most toxic, unhinged and creepy users I've ever interacted with. You were like this in the Raiden V thread and all I can say is just stop.
cfx

Post by cfx »

100% agreed. Block lists are a great feature, unfortunate that they need to be used though.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

xxx1993 is pretty harmless at least, and to be honest I'm still not convinced they aren't someone's prank
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I'm almost convinced atheistgod1999 was their alt. And lore is good – man is a storytelling animal – but there's definitely a phenomena of cringe users getting hyperfixated on it. This is often paired with a weird dismissal of literary narrative. He's not even right about Contra, Bill was never a villain (that was an AI imitation) and the bit about the aliens being engineered terror weapons makes sense of why they've been a phallic/gynic menagerie of monsters from day one, rather than a species with society and goals beyond "lunge at the motherfucker with the spread gun."

BIL wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:22 am I quite enjoy videogame lore, provided it gets out of my face when I want to skip it. Image ala pro wrasslin, done right, it's a garnish that adds a little gravity and heat to otherwise interchangeable scenarios of pure HARD GAYMING. While the prose could use a tune-up, I liked KOF MI2's recounting of Ryo and Geese's fight from AOF2 - it really captures Parachute Pants Man's deadly prowess!

I liked it too, which is why I copied it from the game to that wiki way back when 8)
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mortificator wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:31 am
BIL wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:22 am I quite enjoy videogame lore, provided it gets out of my face when I want to skip it. Image ala pro wrasslin, done right, it's a garnish that adds a little gravity and heat to otherwise interchangeable scenarios of pure HARD GAYMING. While the prose could use a tune-up, I liked KOF MI2's recounting of Ryo and Geese's fight from AOF2 - it really captures Parachute Pants Man's deadly prowess!

I liked it too, which is why I copied it from the game to that wiki way back when 8)
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

So this is essentially 2 on foot levels and a bike level? I'm seeing very little incentive to upgrade from the demo wtaf
I've been enjoying my neglected Hard Corps Uprising on Series S. I'm going to stick with that for now.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I guess this is out now? Steam emailed me and said it's out. 10% off for a while, but I think I will wait.

In the meantime, you know what that means! For those of you who have played it, please rate the version you played on a scale from CrazyBus to Out Zone. inb4 Switch version gets a bunch of CrazyBus ratings.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Well, fuck it, I was always gonna pick this up. I honestly had no issues with the demo (PS5), but maybe I'm not as eagle-eyed as others. Much like Play-Doh, it just felt good in my hands.

Anyway, booted it up for 5 minutes for a quick gander whilst I'm running down the clock at work. Not sure if this has been previously reported in any of the promo build-up, but it may interest some to hear that there are optional soundtracks available for arcade mode, including retro Contra classics, Contra 4 OST, Wai Wai World and Castlevania (?!). Welcome news indeed, as far as I'm concerned, considering that the Galuga OST is an abomination. It appears I was awarded these options for playing the demo.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

AGermanArtist wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:00 am So this is essentially 2 on foot levels and a bike level? I'm seeing very little incentive to upgrade from the demo wtaf
I've been enjoying my neglected Hard Corps Uprising on Series S. I'm going to stick with that for now.
The fact I can boot up my switch at any time and play FC Contra, Super C, SFC Contra 3, Hard Corps and Raging Chrome... Kinda makes me a) not care about the crazy lag in Galuga and b) make me not care about Galuga itself.

I saw some gameplay. The visuals are ugly as sin, but the gameplay looks reasonably snappy... Provided you're not dealing with input lag.

For the people on this forum who already have 1cc/1lc clears of every old Contra game... In your position, I'd pick it up. But if you're like me and never learned a Contra clear (I didn't have an nes as a kid,) then I think there are better products available now on every major system, including PC. There's also Tankuki Justice and that one electric whip run n gun that I never seriously played either.

I dunno. I also saw a comment on a video that said, "I'd rather give my money to Joymasher than to Konami." I can't disagree there either. 'Course, if you buy the Contra collection then you're giving money to Konami. But it's much less.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

For those on PC, GreenManGaming has it for 30% off.

I have only played the full version for about an hour so far (all story mode), and I am actually liking it. They offer a lot of unlockable options for those who aren't veterans to run and guns, but they are just options so if you want to stick to a more old school experience through the story mode you still can. I haven't finished it yet, but I believe there are 8 stages based on the achievements, with an achievement for beating all 8 in under an hour so that should give an idea of how long the game is.

As soon as I finish the story mode I will look into arcade and challenge modes.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I enjoyed the demo, and it ran like butter on my PC. Make sure you enable Radeon anti-lag or Nvidia ultra low latency to eliminate CPU buffering latency. Feels very snappy after that.

Not sure why companies decide to undercut themselves on Green Man Gaming, but $40 seemed a little steep anyway compared to what other Contra style games released for (like Blazing Chrome).

So yeah, just picked it up, will hopefully play some tonight
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Considering the physical release coming out next month costs exactly the same, I definitely see no reason to settling for digital.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Sumez wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:06 am Considering the physical release coming out next month costs exactly the same, I definitely see no reason to settling for digital.
It's not actually coming out next month is it? LRG shows preorders ending April 14; as to when they'll actually ship the game, I assume that will be at least a little while, even if they are doing better on that front.

I'm not buying this game in any format because I think it sucks, but when the only physical option is LRG, I buy digital because I don't want to support that company, and don't consider it settling. I also never buy digital at full price because I see no reason to when it'll be discounted in a few months and there's no risk of it going away in tha time period. If the publisher makes a physical version I'll buy upon release but if they don't I'm going to wait because digital isn't worth that.

If there's a Japanese/Asian/EU alternative physical version available then I do always buy that over digital.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

cfx wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:19 am
Sumez wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:06 am Considering the physical release coming out next month costs exactly the same, I definitely see no reason to settling for digital.
It's not actually coming out next month is it? LRG shows preorders ending April 14; as to when they'll actually ship the game, I assume that will be at least a little while, even if they are doing better on that front.
LRG usually takes ages to ship anything yeah, I see absolutely no reason to pay over twice the price for their release. The regular retail comes out in April.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

cfx wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:19 am If there's a Japanese/Asian/EU alternative physical version available then I do always buy that over digital.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konami-Contra- ... 7ZLHH?th=1

Ships in late April.

I believe LRG has an exclusive publishing deal with WayForward in the US. Otherwise Galuga would have seen a standard retail release in the states.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

It's really an absolute scandal that an entire region the size of the States gets the limited run treatment, when the rest of the world gets it on general release. Feel bad for the US folk
cfx

Post by cfx »

Thanks you two--didn't know there was a retail release. LRG standard is showing at $40 so matches the digital price that was mentioned. Looks like no retail for PS4 though?
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Unfortunately, no. The retail release is only covering PS5 and Xbox Series. There is no PS4 release and the Switch version is a code-in-a-box for Europe.

This might be for the best. Judging from impressions, the Switch version did not seem to improve much with the final release and the PS4 version is not much better. The Series and PS5 discs are probably the only ones worth owning unless WayForward patches in significant performance improvements and that build is what’s included in LRG’s version.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I wish PC versions still had physical releases, either on USB or DVD/Blu-Ray.

Because the PC version is definitely the best version, just by nature of the fact that it has unlocked resolution and frame rate. I'm currently playing at 120fps at 2880p (downsampled to 2160p) on my Radeon 6800xt. With some FXAA thrown in via Reshade to cut down on subpixel shimmering
Steven

Post by Steven »

Almost every single visual novel released on PC in Japan has a physical version, although some of them use some really odd and annoying DRM and/or require you to set your system region and/or system language to Japan/Japanese while others are completely DRM-free and don't care at all about your region and language settings.

It seems there still is no Japanese physical console version of this game for whatever reason. I imagine that the Japanese version of LRG (forgot their name and don't care enough to check) is going to do it. In a rare reversal, Europe, instead of being the only region that gets screwed, is in this case the only region that doesn't.