Survival Horror Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
NYN

Chris! STOP LAUGHING!

Post by NYN »

RGC wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:36 pm
I'm thinking of creating a master list (of both mainstream and indie titles)
"Stop it! Don't open that door!"
Sima Tuna wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:01 am
I'll list some games I think exemplify good Survival Horror:

RE Code Veronica

DC or X? Didn't specify.

Either way, I contest the very notion. Why peeps think this thing was or even still is worth a re-boink is beyond me.

In brief: Doubles play time by re-using areas: big thing then, no fun now. Camp, yet not fun camp as the OG, that has the flavour of unsuccessful self-spoofing regarding Ashcrofts vs Redfields. Steve Burnside. The tap-tap-tap of footsteps (even in cutscenes), all right in The Trilogy, yet that quickly dated. The single most awful EVIL final boss that requires first-person rail-gun execution. All in all a strange thing on the doorstep, that won't shake the past and can't open up to new things. To me it's just sad, honestly.

All those serious EVIL re-making...Bring back the original camp!!
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
SuperDeadite

Re: Survival Horror Thread

Post by SuperDeadite »

Of all the RE games, Code Veronica is the one that really needs a remake. Over the years, I've come to enjoy it, but honestly it's an unfinished mess. Clair's whole story arc is to find Chris. Instead of looking for her he just hides in a hole somewhere until she gets caught, than magically appears to save her....

The boss fights really suck. The Steve fight can not be won without healing items, such a waste.

No Wesker fight. After all that buildup and showmanship, Wesker and Chris decide to just turn around and not fight because some pipes fall down. Seriously, wtf?

On a more positive note, I really enjoyed Revelations 2. Probably the most gritty RE game. The combat really feels heavy. Having Clair double barrel shotty a jumping freak in midair and send him flying backwards feels so right. Also Moira is fucking awesome, she needs to be in more games.
Lander

Steve is suffering

Post by Lander »

Sima Tuna wrote:I'll list some games I think exemplify good Survival Horror
Pretty much on the money, though Dead Rising's gameplay tone may be a bit irreverent for survival horror :lol:

...Wait, CV is on the list? *blink blink* YOU'LL JUST END UP DISAPPOINTED IF YOU PLAY THAT! BELIEVE ME, I KNOW!!!

BIL wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:12 pmOG_RE1_Wesker.gif
Classic haircut, classic camera cut. From Vergilesque slick evil to watercooler nonchalance in 5.2 seconds - witness a master manipulator at work! :mrgreen:
Sirent Birru musings
BIL wrote:What I like about this model is, SH1/3/4's human element - the fanaticism, the megalomania, the atrocities in service of, along with Alessa, Heather, and Walter's plights - is untouched. That stuff is real as all hell. It's merely a neat reconciling of Heather's musing to Douglas: "I guess it wasn't much of a 'God' if it could be killed by a human being." Harry did indeed kill the thing Dahlia revered and Alessa dreaded as "God." He shot it in the face while avoiding its flamey flames that PWNed Dahlia, and it fell over and died. I think it was just another monster - a particularly odious and resilient one, as real-life Gods so often are - catalysed by an unfathomably tormented psyche.
The relative grounding is one of the things I like most about SH1. The evil is unfathomable enough to catalyze various spooky goings on and fuel twisted humanity (arguably teh tru bad, as always :shock:), but not enough to resist good old-fashioned buckshot. Coupled with everyman's everyman Harry, makes for a classic horror movie setup of regular joe overcoming the beast by way of lower-brain fear and a shotgun.

Handily compatible with the broader weirdness despite that - survive into the eye of the storm (or indeed, the bottom of The Ladder) and you might just make it, with enough grit.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

cj iwakura wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 am I consider Fatal Frame the pinnacle, for me, the height of creeping dread, atmosphere, and limited resources.

Though I also have a fondness for 'action' horror like RE4/6(which I think is way better at it than Village), where you have enough resources to blow everything away if you want to, and with style.

The Evil Within and Alien Isolation both left me cold. The former doesn't know if it wants to be RE or Silent Hill, and the latter just goes on waaaay too long, but it had some great moments.
Same, excluding that Fatal Frame is generous with some resources (not all of them). But yes, top notch atmosphere/design!
The Evil Within is a bit banal Survival Horror. for me.. (maybe only Survival, there's nothing Horror in that game).

Nowadays is impossible to make a good horror game (survival or whatever), there are too many taboos.
The psychological factor is always forgotten, Chris, Leon & Co. can witness hundreds of dready monsters without any mental consequence.
Their aim is always perfect...no stress, always cold...

For example i've never seen a kid dying in a game, maybe screaming "Mom help me!" while slaughtered in front of you and peeing on him/herself.

And the monsters/zombie/entity, simply kill you, like a wild animal would do, there's no serial killer sadistic spark in them, no merciless cruelty...are simply "hugly things that chase you".
I'm more scared by Bad Intentions, than instinctive murdering.
NYN

SAVE STEVE

Post by NYN »

SuperDeadite wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:55 am The Steve fight can not be won without healing items, such a waste.
It is not even a fight, it's a getaway. Sucks so bad. It is said that it is possible to no damage this. Worth a look?
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

SuperDeadite wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:55 amThe Steve fight can not be won without healing items, such a waste.
The Steve fight in Code Veronica can be done without taking damage, it's just... really unintuitive to figure out. If you try to run straight out of the room he'll repeatedly hit you with his massive axe's range. You have to actually stay near him at the start, circle around and make him whiff an axe swing, then that gives you enough time to run out of the room keeping ahead of him.

Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJTJLQL3yyY
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

CV has the amazing Wesker mode, though, setting the stage for best Mercenaries mode.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
ryu

Post by ryu »

Saw The Callisto Protocol on sale the other day and decided to give it a chance. I only knew it was developed by some of the people behind Dead Space. So far it seems to be one of these movie-games, I've just been walking through straight tunnels with little room to explore or have to think for myself. Hopefully it gets better. Not a scary game yet, but I'd say there's potential for more in terms of atmosphere given its solid visual and sound directions.

Apparently the final chapter of the game is only available as DLC to be purchased separately? That the back of the box leaves no mention of this leaves me speechless. Privacy policy? Why would a game need my data? And let's not talk about my first hour of the game - that was playing Blasphemous II while the PS4 was downloading the recent patch for TCP. Makes me wonder if I really needed to support any of these practices by purchasing this "game".
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
ryu

Post by ryu »

So I ended up dropping The Callisto Protocol because I was not seeing much potential in it. Went on to play RE: Village and almost did the same after the dreadful startup (that haunted house ride ride right after getting caught, ugh). Still managed to beat the game because it started getting really good right after. The Castle and House Beneviento were great survival-horror experiences. I thought the game started dropping off like RE 7 did in its latter segments, becoming more of an action game, but still had a good time with the stronghold and factory dungeons. The factory has potential, but all the enemies that seem threatening but actually are not just kill the mood of the place.

Got to admit I had to wait for a friend to come over to get through the basement section of House Beneviento. Thought I had gotten entirely jaded to horror games by now, but that part taught me otherwise. Jesus, that was fucked up.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Callisto Protocol goes to show that you can't just hand Glenn Deadspace a studio and expect lightning to strike twice.
...Is what I would have said if I hadn't poked around and found that they actually had a surprising amount of ex-Visceral hands on deck, including the post-Schofield series lead :?

I thought it seemed unfairly maligned at release, seeing as it was going toe-to-toe with Dead Space Remake and all the accompanying no, not both tribalism. Bit of a weird one, since there wasn't enough evidence to nail it as a middleroad netflix-original game at the time, but it got pre-slated anyway and stayed that way after all the industry gack became evident.

And RE8, what a mess. Thematically-disjunct spooky disneyland tied together with btw we're remaking that other one with a village in it cartilage.

Action horror, 'gothic' horror, defenseless chase horror, fishy pathos horror... Felt like they couldn't decide which western-style subgenre should follow up 7's solid hillbilly conceit, so blew their entire load with a shotgun approach instead of picking one and nailing it.

Worse that the marketing noticied all the internet horny and tripled down on showcasing the cool-looking castle (and totally indicental TIG OLE BITTIES :o) instead of setting expectations for what the game actually was.

I'll give House Bienvenito credit for its efficacy, but if you showed it to me in a vacuum I'd have told you it looked like Outlast or Amnesia before Resi.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I agree it's really an adventure game with a coat of horror over it. But then the last real Resident Evil game was when, 2001 with REmake? I take any ounce of horror I can get out of this series.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

If you have Game Pass, the RE/Dino Crisis/Silent Hill tribute Signalis is on the death watch for Oct 31st

It's cool. I enjoyed it. There's some design and aesthetic caveats I hold. But it's worth checking out if you haven't.
RGC

Post by RGC »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:24 am If you have Game Pass, the RE/Dino Crisis/Silent Hill tribute Signalis is on the death watch for Oct 31st
Ta, looks interesting from the trailer; I'll proabably bag it for later. Image

Meanwhile, Tormented Souls...

Highly recommended RE1 rip/homage. Been a while since I played the latter, but I'd say the puzzles here are a fair bit harder and require more lateral thinking. Proud that I didn't have to endure the frustration of consulting an FAQ only to find the answer had been staring me in the face all along (which in some cases it had, but at least I got there eventually under my own cognitive steam). I have to confess though that I totally brute forced the...
Spoiler
..."You should not have entered here" puzzle room by trial and error, based on which candles lit up when I followed certain paths. The clues on the plaque only mystified me further, so I ended up ignoring them, heh!
And (full disclosure), I definitely overthought the puzzle where you...
Spoiler
...have to set the clock to match the day of salvation, and obsessed about it being connected to the day Caroline arrived at the Hospital to rescue the daughter(s), or the day the girls escaped to the bridge back in the 80s. This one really was staring me in the face! :flyingfacepalm:

The hazmat suited dude ceremonially marching around the observation room corpse was a good visual prompt for how to progress beyond the Operation Room puzzle, but I was tired that evening and -- as is the way with these things -- once enough self doubt had crept in, I convinced myself I'd missed something and ended up backtracking through every facking room up to that point. This was also the first puzzle that didn't entail using a specific item, so I'll sling that in for my defence too.
Minor gripes: Shouldn't really complain about the combat, since this isn't supposed to be Souls or Ninja Gaiden. Mechanics-wise, you have a simple back-dash that can only be relied on if the space behind you is completely clear of scenery obstacles; it takes a moment to execute, and mashing is not advised. It works well enough, but once you have a proper weapon there's little need to use it. A "no projectiles" run would be an interesting challenge. On that point, on standard difficulty the game could be a bit less generous with ammo so as to build some tension from running low, or they could have made enemies a bit tougher to kill. I never felt like I was in danger of having to go it alone, just me and my trusty crowbar, even though I wasn't especially conservative with nails etc. It's quite trivial to give some of the more powerful beasties the runaround, or shoot them a bit, then close in for some thunky crowbar downswings while they're stunned. There isn't much mob variety either, but that's forgivable and somewhat restricted by the story anyway. The only other obvious weakness concerns the...
Spoiler
...floaty ghoul (the sister?), whose nearby presence is overtly signalled by discordant music. And to make things worse, you can circumvent any encounters by just exiting and re-entering the room or corridor when you hear said music. All too tempting if you can't be arsed to timing-dodge those grasping arms, not that she's difficult to evade. Weird design choice though; think I would have preferred to be scared shitless at the possibility of her suddenly drifting toward me from nowhere. Once you get used to hearing the audio cue, it does diminish the tension.

The voice acting for the protagonist is suitably crummy, and West Coast voice actress dudette's accent has her pronouncing the names Anna and Emma almost indistinguishably ("Amma"?). Add to this that one of the other characters actually says Anna when he means Emma (the subs also have it wrong), and this certainly helped disorientate me as I tried to figure out wtf was going on.

Praises: The music is extremely atmospheric and sets the mood perfectly. Standout tracks are Father, for that moment of respite when you encounter a save room, the main title track, Main Hall, plus some of the more Trent Reznor-y doom-laden noise tracks (e.g. Entrance).
At first (like RE1), the static switching camera angles can be a touch annoying as you move through rooms, until you get a good feel for the layout and can traverse the complex without having to keep thumbing the map button. This doesn't detract from the overall experience though, since initial disorientation with slowly emerging clarity matches how the (fucked up) story's events are drip-fed via disordered diary pages.
The puzzles are good 'n' tough. Some of them are unique enough that the solutions will definitely stick in memory for future revisits.
Gorgeous visuals, with great use of shadows to raise the heart rate and trigger a few double takes! There was one static wooden bannister that caught me off-guard more than once when it suddenly loomed large as Caroline moved toward the camera. :lol:
Poor Miss Walker does move like she's shat herself when injured, adding to the realism given her situation. A quick shot of discarded morphine and her undie linen is fresh as a daisy. Again, just like in real life.
Well executed was the inevitable Lovecraftian descent (because this trope shows no sign of fading)...
Spoiler
...into the mausoleum below the hospital, then the sewer below that. Not deep enough? How about five levels of disused bunker remains, followed by an elevator down to an underground graveyard, then below that a slaughter room, then...oh my! It gets pretty oppressive down there!

Plot mysteries: Some details didn't quite add up in my feeble mind, though I've yet to consult a lore wiki to clarify things. Like:
Spoiler
Was the unkillable floaty ghoul thing Anna all along? If so, why was she free roaming throughout the story but at the end suddenly bound to a cross?
Why did Grandpa Noah say he must have the blood of two twins in order to raise the Pollux sect deity, but when the plan goes tits up was able to use his own blood instead? Was it some kind of half-arsed partial revival or something?
Why did Grandpa Bertram seal himself in the bunker with the rest of the dying cult members; did he discover a conscience? Did he want to give his grandkids a fighting chance of survival, and protect humankind from the rest of the cult followers, etc?
That both grandfathers turned out to be sadistic fucks was a pretty major coincidence, even if their motivations were (initially) somewhat different. Becoming the High Priest of a cult that performs ritual sacrifices and experiments on sick people is not something you just fall into in life.
Anyway, the story needn't hang together perfectly. It was a fun, atmospheric ride. Will definitely play the sequel on PS5, whenever the slim launches in UK.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Signalis is really good indeed. Although I wish its camera wasn't stuck in the overhead perspective. The devs could have brought out even more atmosphere with better angles.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The devs could have brought out even more atmosphere with better angles.

That is indeed one of the design and aesthetic caveats I hold. The faux-pixel art, and 2D perspective doesn't really lend itself to tension, and thus, it's not terribly tense.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

There's a recent video essay on the Dark Seed comedy franchise. It's a nice complement to the old Let's Play of the things.

Jacob Geller has a channel I really love. He has a way of taking questions, and exploring the beauty and horror within them. It's very psychological.

I think that's the difference between mere philosophy and horror - something being physically possibly makes it relevant to you. And as it turns out, almost everything could be a relevant thing to worry about. All you have to do is spend some time thinking about it.

Take the idea that these neural net based AI's might have some degree of qualia - some sense of processing thought. They'd be like boltzmann brains, blinking into and out of brief windows of existence. When these things get complex enough to approximate an animal, trillions and trillions of them will be brought into and pushed out of existence during the training runs used to grow their "wiring".

Empathy for them is impossible, as alien they are to our own lives and experiences. And yet..............

Good thing we're not them, eh.

Lemnear wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:32 amFor example i've never seen a kid dying in a game, maybe screaming "Mom help me!" while slaughtered in front of you and peeing on him/herself.

This kind of cheap thing is extremely taboo in any commercial endeavor. Nobody wants to pay to think about how their nephew was murdered or the horrible stuff people do to animals (hi, Alien 3). Those memories tend to overwhelm everything else. Even exploitation murder simulator Hatred doesn't have kids and animals in it.

You'd have to go to gorny nonsense like Demonophobia to see this kind of fucked up shit. Or watch floor footage of the conveyor belt into a grinder they put baby chickens on immediately after they're born.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BryanM wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:18 am
Lemnear wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:32 amFor example i've never seen a kid dying in a game, maybe screaming "Mom help me!" while slaughtered in front of you and peeing on him/herself.
This kind of cheap thing is extremely taboo in any commercial endeavor. Nobody wants to pay to think about how their nephew was murdered or the horrible stuff people do to animals (hi, Alien 3). Those memories tend to overwhelm everything else. Even exploitation murder simulator Hatred doesn't have kids and animals in it.

You'd have to go to gorny nonsense like Demonophobia to see this kind of fucked up shit. Or watch floor footage of the conveyor belt into a grinder they put baby chickens on immediately after they're born.
Oh no no , is not necessary to go so deep into pure violence and gore. You can do that without so much blood.
I mean, there's always a "Plot-Armor" that saves some cathegory of characters...or "Moral-Armor". The son/daughter of the protagonist will always be saved, why?

For example one of the most brutal things i saw in a videogame was in a shitty FPS called Homefront (2013), in the intro scene north korean soldiers murders an entire family in front of a child crying and calling out for his dead parents. He even tries to wake them up...

Same for animals, is not necessary to be graphically brutal, just show the zombie-dog (or normal dog) slowly dying while looking at you, with suffering and fear in it's eyes..while yelping.

Or when you are around a school in an horror game, you should hear distant cry and screams of kids (what happened to them is left to your immagination), you will never meet them, you will never saw them, you will only hear a distand and heartbreaking scream for some second, just this.

Simple stuff that breaks your mind and spirit.

Most people wants to play horror games but hate being scared so the actual horror games taboo is the "Respect for the Player".
Not all, but some should be an "immersive and harmful experience".

I want a horror game where the tension is so high it makes you vomit in anxiety. Without any gore scenes, just the "it could happen" is enough, all left to your immagination with a few hints to push it extremely further but never show you anything.
Showing you something will be "liberating", so...nope!.
With jumpscares,sure , but without any sound, you may not even notice that a creepy figure is watching you throught the window..but when you will.....it will be far way scarier than a classic jumpscare with loud volume FX, ...you don't know for how long he had been watching you.

Weird that something like Hatred doesn't have animals or kids :shock:
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

A lot of dungeon crawlers are tangential to horror games. So many involve going into some hole full of nightmares, looking for wonders and treasure.

Baroque was a bit of the avant-garde for that sort of thing, but was far from unique. Most games seek to please the player, intentionally going in the opposite direction has strong kuso energy. It's not like Drakengard and its ilk want the player to have fun, no, quite the exact opposite.

Beautiful girls, pretty boys, and engaging reward loops? Nope! Instead of a game that presents an idealized fantasy world, have a fantasy world that's much more miserable than the real one. That'll make you appreciate what you have!

Lemnear wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:18 amI mean, there's always a "Plot-Armor" that saves some cathegory of characters...or "Moral-Armor". The son/daughter of the protagonist will always be saved, why?

It shows a lack of mindfulness. A character that's a child could just as easily be a bratty teenager (or adult). There's no reason to drop one into a zombie apocalypse unless you plan to totally doom them or get called out as a fraud. (And now... I'm reminded of the kids who died on screen in The Walking Dead comic. No plot armor whatsoever there, except for the MC.)

The movie Silent Night Deadly Night 2 tried to tease tension out of a kid during the middle of the climatic murder spree. By this point it falls flat: one has long before this realized this movie has neither the imagination nor the guts to go through with it. A shallow fake-out, come and defused within a couple minutes. Never to be relevant to anything at all.

Cheap.

On the other hand, the "suggestive ambience" thing you talk about isn't uncommon at all. Stuff like the girls playing skip-rope in the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

Silent Hill has a lot of suggestive fetus stuff in it. It's not happy stuff to anyone who's had a miscarriage.

Weird that something like Hatred doesn't have animals or kids :shock:

They want to make some money off the thing, yeah?
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BryanM wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:32 am A lot of dungeon crawlers are tangential to horror games. So many involve going into some hole full of nightmares, looking for wonders and treasure.

Baroque was a bit of the avant-garde for that sort of thing, but was far from unique. Most games seek to please the player, intentionally going in the opposite direction has strong kuso energy. It's not like Drakengard and its ilk want the player to have fun, no, quite the exact opposite.

Beautiful girls, pretty boys, and engaging reward loops? Nope! Instead of a game that presents an idealized fantasy world, have a fantasy world that's much more miserable than the real one. That'll make you appreciate what you have!

Lemnear wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:18 amI mean, there's always a "Plot-Armor" that saves some cathegory of characters...or "Moral-Armor". The son/daughter of the protagonist will always be saved, why?

It shows a lack of mindfulness. A character that's a child could just as easily be a bratty teenager (or adult). There's no reason to drop one into a zombie apocalypse unless you plan to totally doom them or get called out as a fraud. (And now... I'm reminded of the kids who died on screen in The Walking Dead comic. No plot armor whatsoever there, except for the MC.)

The movie Silent Night Deadly Night 2 tried to tease tension out of a kid during the middle of the climatic murder spree. By this point it falls flat: one has long before this realized this movie has neither the imagination nor the guts to go through with it. A shallow fake-out, come and defused within a couple minutes. Never to be relevant to anything at all.

Cheap.

On the other hand, the "suggestive ambience" thing you talk about isn't uncommon at all. Stuff like the girls playing skip-rope in the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

Silent Hill has a lot of suggestive fetus stuff in it. It's not happy stuff to anyone who's had a miscarriage.
But are all movies or other media :cry:
Is like (mostly modern) horror games lack some aspects of horror movies, not all, but a part...and modern horrors are a mix between horror and Cannes movies...or straight from festival of Cannes :lol:.
The others instead are mostly garbage flop...
BryanM wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:32 am They want to make some money off the thing, yeah?
But...when you developed a game about a mass murder psycho, why stopping to that? they've already broken a taboo, why not breaking others, the game was already censored in a lot of places :?
BryanM wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:32 am Silent Hill has a lot of suggestive fetus stuff in it. It's not happy stuff to anyone who's had a miscarriage.
Absurdly, is the part you must hit with Horrors, something that can be directly related to various trauma experience and draw fear/discomfort from them.
Essentially using common phobias or traumas ( bees, needles, trichofhobia, clowns etc.) or specific ones like a misscarriage, bereavment, separation etc.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Lemnear wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:17 pmBut are all movies or other media :cry:
That does remind me of how popular horror is for hobbyist projects. There's like a million little throwaway retro pixel/low poly horror games made. Only very few of them go viral. (You all know the ones. Lakeview Cabin. Yume Nikki. Uma Musume Pretty Derby. Etc.)

There's one youtube account that explores lots of these, things you'd never hear about unless you went digging to find them: https://www.youtube.com/@AlphaBetaGamer/videos. They're experimental in ways the AAA industry never could be. You'd never see fishing as a big theme in these games, yet they had a little contest and things like a River King-esque fishing horror game got made. Iron Lung, where you're a guy in a little sub blindly exploring a literal blood ocean from that Metalocalypse episode, could never be mainstream.

I honestly think this is more in line with what horror should be: an anthology. The longer something hangs around the more desensitized to it you get, examples like the Alien movies and the absurd lengths they had to go to make Friday the 13th movies continue to be interesting. Anthology is the way to go, you make up an idea, you explore it, and move on. Things like Uzumaki, the Spiral Insanity, aren't really one story, but a collection of short stories. It's able to go on for much longer than it otherwise could've with a smaller world.

But...when you developed a game about a mass murder psycho, why stopping to that? they've already broken a taboo, why not breaking others, the game was already censored in a lot of places :?

Eh, it's always a matter of degrees. Most entertainment is full of exciting sex and violence, but different people have different preferences for each.

Star Wars is a murder hobo show where the protagonists murder like a hundred guys every episode. Many NASCAR fans don't give a damn about going around in a circle, they're just there for the wrecks. Our national past time could be baseball or croquet, but instead it's handegg where guys collide head-first into each other and give themselves lifelong terminal brain damage for our amusement.
ryu

Post by ryu »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:02 am The devs could have brought out even more atmosphere with better angles.

That is indeed one of the design and aesthetic caveats I hold. The faux-pixel art, and 2D perspective doesn't really lend itself to tension, and thus, it's not terribly tense.
I didn't think it was that bad. And there's definitely real pixel art in the backgrounds, so I can now see why the game is only shown from the top-down perspective. All things considered there's only so much a two-person team can do. The game was tense enough for me, definitely felt like I was playing a horror game.

The game should provide bag extensions as it goes on though. The 6 slot limit really hurt in the long run. I don't want to count how often I had to backtrack to the safe room only to swap my empty weapon for one that I had just found ammo for.
Last edited by ryu on Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGC

Post by RGC »

Lemnear wrote:
Same for animals

[...]

[...]

I want a horror game where the tension is so high it makes you vomit in anxiety.
I mean, superficially people get fascinated with horror for different reasons. It's probably a bit pop psychology, but the idea that it's a kind of mental rehearsal for such events befalling us in real life always felt about right to me. We're going through the motions and thinking almost at an unconscious level about what decisions and actions we would take in person X's shoes. However, there are some things we don't want to rehearse, lines we don't want to cross, even in a physically safe environment, because they're a bridge too far in terms of the beginnings of trauma that just giving them serious consideration can induce. We all know the real world is way more horrifically fucked up than anything you'll see on TV. If it were the other way around, we'd likely be willing to go further in our fantasy explorations. As it stands, there's only so much reality we want to be reminded of.

That scene in Under the Skin where the toddler gets abandoned on a beach, presumably to be swept away by the sea (later confirmed), was too much for me and put me on a fucking downer for days. That's not what I want from horror at all. There's only so much of the cold indifference or brutality humans are capable of that I want to be reminded about when I'm trying out different possible scenarios. But yeah, it's probably just a matter of degree.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

RGC wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:46 pm
Lemnear wrote:
Same for animals

[...]

[...]

I want a horror game where the tension is so high it makes you vomit in anxiety.
I mean, people get fascinated with horror for different reasons. It's probably a bit pop psychology, but the idea that it's a kind of mental rehearsal for such events befalling us in real life always felt about right to me. We're going through the motions and thinking almost at an unconscious level about what decisions and actions we would take in person X's shoes. However, there are some things we don't want to rehearse, lines we don't want to cross even in a physically safe environment, because they're a bridge too far in terms of the beginnings of trauma just giving them serious consideration can induce. We all know the real world is way more horrifically fucked up than anything you'll see on TV. If it were the other way around, we'd likely be willing to go further in our fantasy explorations. As it stands, there's only so much reality we want to be reminded of.

That scene in Under the Skin where the toddler gets abandoned on a beach, presumably to be swept away by the sea (later confirmed), was too much for me and put me on a fucking downer for days. That's not what I want from horror at all. There's only so much of the cold indifference or brutality humans are capable of that I want to be reminded about when I'm trying out different possible scenarios. But yeah, it's probably just a matter of degree.
For this reason "fantasy" should surpass reality, also in the opposite direction, so, from oniric outwordly fantasies...till unthinkable unholy level of evilness.

There was a time when horror movies where scared me, then i forced my self to watch the nearly totality of them in full Bruce Wayne fashion..just...Plunge into Darkness.
Now nothing "horror" could scratch me...except innate phobias i have.

Oh no my sensei was right...i'm a Sith :\
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The game should provide bag extensions as it goes on though. The 6 slot limit really hurt in the long run.

This is certainly one of the design caveats I was referring to
RGC

Post by RGC »

Lemnear wrote: There was a time when horror movies where scared me...
Maybe the mental rehearsal thing is a load of hogwash, and some viewers just wanna be scared. But there's a reason why, when disposable victim #6 trips over their own feet while fleeing homicidal bastard Bob, falling flat on their face in the mud, we shout "USELESS TWOT!" at the screen. We're more annoyed at our own potential incompetence in a similarly desperate situation than anything else. I suppose we have to feel a certain amount of empathetic fear for the spell to work though. I dunno, I've watched horror for such a long time it's hard to gauge what that feeling is anymore. Probably the only film that still has the power to fully creep me out is Exorcist. And that's less to do with there being a child victim and more about the level of tangible evil somehow conveyed in that silent beat after a wardrobe slides across the floorboards. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

Oh no my sensei was right...i'm a Sith :\
:lol: