Radiant Silvergun Coming to Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: Radiant Silvergun Coming to Steam

Post by Steven »

Elaphe wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:41 pm Any chances of Soukyugurentai being released too? I love that game much more than Radiant Silvergun.
Don't tell anyone, but...
Spoiler
Soukyuugurentai is a way better game
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Steven wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:02 pm
Elaphe wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:41 pm Any chances of Soukyugurentai being released too? I love that game much more than Radiant Silvergun.
Spoiler
For that, I can actually agree.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Steven wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:02 pm
Spoiler
Played it recently on PS1 emulation. Haven't 1cc'd yet but you are very much correct in your statement.
pewpewpewpewpewpew

Post by pewpewpewpewpewpew »

How is the Ikaruga port? Should we have high hopes for Treasure on Steam?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

pewpewpewpewpewpew wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:20 am How is the Ikaruga port? Should we have high hopes for Treasure on Steam?
It's fine and dandy, other than being based on I assume the 360 version with fewer practice modes available. On a purely technical level though it's a good port.

How's Radiant Silvergun on Switch? That'd be what to look at.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

RSG on Switch runs quite well, I've had a great 30 hours or so with it so far
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I always try to force myself to like this game and I just can't get to grips with it. I've been bashing my head with it for the last week (not including the times I tried to spend with it over the last 10 years) and it is just not clicking. Reminds me of my feelings on Alien Soldier.
The Switch port is certainly good at least. Though I'd prefer a restart option.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, after a (non-existent) delay, we finally have a release date for 11/3/23. -> https://www.gematsu.com/2023/10/radiant ... november-3
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It would've been ace if the Steam port of RSG was released during the Steam Shmup event but alas, it was a "no show". Good to learn that Live Wire's announced date with RSG -- about damn time!

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

110% with you.
ben.shinobi

Post by ben.shinobi »

Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Looks somehow more clear and crisp than the 360 release it's based on. Probably because of the higher res. Maybe upscaled textures?
Seems it now supports keyboard input, not just gamepad as stated on the steam page before.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

On Twitter they were talking about 4:3 support it sounded like, and playing it up as a new "classic" mode. Was that just not a screen option on the 360 version?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I believe they did not allow a 4:3 display on the 360 version, despite the game area being on a 4:3 window and despite all the other similar shooters on the system having the feature. And hardly this Steam version is getting it if you ask me - likely they're just telling us the full game can be displayed in a 4:3 window including the HUD and cinematics, for those who feel nostalgic or something. Hopefully I'm wrong, though.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

The Steam page was updated. November 3, 2023 is the release date.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

It's out now on Steam.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Not to jump straight into the negatives, but it seems to be locked to 50fps during gameplay for me, going by both the Steam overlay's reading and the general sluggishness of it. Anyone else seeing this? (Wobbly screen in the menus too, almost like it's a PAL conversion of an NTSC PS2 game.)
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

Klatrymadon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:59 pm Not to jump straight into the negatives, but it seems to be locked to 50fps during gameplay for me, going by both the Steam overlay's reading and the general sluggishness of it. Anyone else seeing this? (Wobbly screen in the menus too, almost like it's a PAL conversion of an NTSC PS2 game.)
I'm seeing 60fps according to steam overlay in menu and game play. It seems smooth to me, but I'm the kind of person that would need a side-by-side comparison unless it was really bad.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Someone on the Steam discussion boards has identified it as an issue with AMD cards. I won't be able to do much about that at the moment, alas!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

So the new mode just tries to restore the original Saturn hitboxes by using integer scaling over the original resolution, hence a non-4:3 play window on LCDs for this. At least, that's what I've read. Weird that they didn't include it until now.
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

Klatrymadon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:51 pm Someone on the Steam discussion boards has identified it as an issue with AMD cards. I won't be able to do much about that at the moment, alas!
Some of the complaints about opening scene causing issues are on AMD cards. Hopefully we see a quick fix for it because at a glance it seems like a decent port.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

RSG runs just fine/boots up on the Steam Deck if you select "Proton Experimental" with wi-fi turned on.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

If anyone encounters the same issue as me and wants a quick fix until a patch is released, any 'borderless window' app should sort it out (I use Borderless Gaming, also on Steam).
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Klatrymadon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:49 pm If anyone encounters the same issue as me and wants a quick fix until a patch is released, any 'borderless window' app should sort it out (I use Borderless Gaming, also on Steam).
Special K is better for forcing borderless fullscreen. It won't add any lag (usually)
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I'm reading on the Steam forums that the resolution is locked to 720p?
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

BazookaBen wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:28 am I'm reading on the Steam forums that the resolution is locked to 720p?
Looks as if that is the case. If memory serves me correctly the Xbox360 version ran @ 720p as well.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

This is a step backwards though because Ikaruga (which they put out many years ago now) will run at any resolution you want. I run that at 8k internal downscaled to 4k.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Cheers, Ben! I'll check that out.

Yeah, there are no resolution options and it seems to be in 720p by default, but I'm happy with that given all the stutter and screen-tearing issues I usually have with my setup at higher resolutions - it's been very stable so far. Hopefully it'll see a patch soon.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

For those wondering the input lag is pretty bad considering V-sync is forced on with no way to disable it in-game. Luckily you can override the game settings for VSYNC in Nvidia control panel.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

-Fish- wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:06 am For those wondering the input lag is pretty bad considering V-sync is forced on with no way to disable it in-game. Luckily you can override the game settings for VSYNC in Nvidia control panel.
The way I would try is forcing "Latent Sync" in Special K with a full delay bias. That will have the GPU wait to render the game until the last couple milliseconds (maybe quicker) of the frame, giving you equivalent input lag to the game running at like 500fps or so.

EDIT: Well on my PC it seems Latent Sync works great and reduces input lag when set to the right frame rate cap, but I can't use any delay bias to reduce lag further.