Radiant Silvergun Coming to Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Radiant Silvergun Coming to Steam

Post by BulletMagnet »

Release date is August 18th according to this article - apparently "Ikaruga Mode" is included.
Steven

Re: Radiant Silvergun Coming to Steam

Post by Steven »

Damn, glad I never bought the Switch version.

Seeing that this is probably the same as the Switch and 360 versions, I suppose I have two questions at this point. First, can I get rid of the borders and the extraneous HUD? I promise that I will never buy this if I can't get rid of the borders. Edit: looks like the borders can be removed on Switch, so it should hopefully be the same here. Insta-buying this once it releases. Looks like I can retire my Saturn copy unless they made some weird changes to the game for whatever reason.

Second, can I use the original graphics or am I stuck with the ugly HD ones? This isn't really all that important, but I am curious about it.

Also, check out the mouse cursor in this screenshot on the Steam page lol

Last edited by Steven on Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

About goddamned time.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:00 am Second, can I use the original graphics or am I stuck with the ugly HD ones? This isn't really all that important, but I am curious about it.
According to someone's livestream I watched when the Switch version was released, you could use the original graphics there, so probably here as well.
Steven

Post by Steven »

cfx wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:23 am
Steven wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:00 am Second, can I use the original graphics or am I stuck with the ugly HD ones? This isn't really all that important, but I am curious about it.
According to someone's livestream I watched when the Switch version was released, you could use the original graphics there, so probably here as well.
Excellent. That makes me quite happy. Hopefully it has options for proper scaling. I'll also accept square pixels, but I do not prefer that over 4:3 with interpolation and stuff.

While I am here, does anyone know what the 360 and Switch versions of this game actually are? Are they running the game through software emulation or do these versions actually run natively? It would be really cool if these are actually ports and not emulated.
KMH

Post by KMH »

Looking forward to trying this, I didn't really expect it to ever come to PC.

Also, if Live Wire is doing PC ports now, I wonder if we could finally get Espgaluda 2? Doesn't seem that unlikely anymore, since the main argument against was the console-only focus of Live Wire, right?
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

This is good news as there are lots of pc gamers who have never experienced this classic console game.
It’s also good for the zombie corpse of Treasure.
Steven

Post by Steven »

For the past few years, I have been wondering if Maegawa is the only person left at Treasure at this point, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was actually the case. Wikipedia (not the best source, but...) says less than 10 people are there, and one is definitely less than 10.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:39 am While I am here, does anyone know what the 360 and Switch versions of this game actually are? Are they running the game through software emulation or do these versions actually run natively? It would be really cool if these are actually ports and not emulated.
No facts, but speculation. Treasure appear to be the developer for the Xbox 360 version; someone with the game could confirm that via the credits. I would not expect them to emulate the game but to instead port it. At the time this was done, was there even any kind of Saturn emulation that was of commecial quality that could be used, and would the Xbox 360 be capable of running?

I can't remember--does the Xbox 360 game have any kind of slight gameplay differences compared to Saturn, like Ikaruga does? Chains that are different, enemeies that appear at slightly different times, etc.? That would answer the question.

OTOH, since as far as I'm aware all the Live Wire releases on Switch are all Xbox 360 versions of games, I suspect they're either emulating those, or they have some kind of procedure or tools they're using to convert Xbox 360 code to Switch and now PC. The Nintendo page for the Switch version that is linked from Treasure's website list Live Wire as the developer.
Steven wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:53 pm For the past few years, I have been wondering if Maegawa is the only person left at Treasure at this point, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was actually the case. Wikipedia (not the best source, but...) says less than 10 people are there, and one is definitely less than 10.
Treasure appear to be nothing more than an IP licensing company at this point. What would any additional employees even do? Unless they still do behind the scenes contract work on games for others?

Their company page doesn't list number of employees:
https://treasure-inc.co.jp/company.html
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Excellent. I slept too long on the 360 port and missed it back in the day. Not a big deal as I had the Saturn version to play but still.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

As this is almost certainly based on the 360 port, you can! It features a range of presentation options for both the HD and SD graphics, including a choice between dithering and alpha transparencies for the shadows, cleaned up and 'filtered' textures or raw ones, daft lighting and bloom effects or none, and so on. It was all quite impressive in 2011 and it's still beyond what we tend to see now. (I don't think it has any scanline filters, but that might be a blessing...)
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

cfx wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:40 am No facts, but speculation. Treasure appear to be the developer for the Xbox 360 version; someone with the game could confirm that via the credits. I would not expect them to emulate the game but to instead port it. At the time this was done, was there even any kind of Saturn emulation that was of commecial quality that could be used, and would the Xbox 360 be capable of running?
The 360 can't emulate the Saturn, any Saturn games on there are ports (Guardian Heroes is a Treasure game, right?)
cfx

Post by cfx »

sunnshiner wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:44 am Guardian Heroes is a Treasure game, right?
Yes it is.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

cfx wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:41 am
sunnshiner wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:44 am Guardian Heroes is a Treasure game, right?
Yes it is.
It belongs to Sega, if that's the question.
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

I thought Radiant Silvergun was just a around the corner on steam when Ikaruga came out. I thought it just wasn't going to happen at this point. Glad it is finally happening.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I'm glad to see this getting released. I have doubts a GOG version would follow, but steam is better than nothing else on PC. Looking forward to it.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Steven

Post by Steven »

I just remembered this launches on the 18th, which is in 92 minutes. Will post impressions, I guess.
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

Steven wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:28 pm I just remembered this launches on the 18th, which is in 92 minutes. Will post impressions, I guess.
It is more likely to release during the day in Pacific time, so it will be quite a bit longer.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I have my doubts about it releasing today. There's nothing about it on Live Wire's twitter, so all we have is the one video for proof. Granted, we just got done with Quake II Enhanced being announced and released on the same day, and I would love to be proven wrong, but... I have doubts.

The other question is, how much will it be? $9.99? $19.99? $39.99?
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

The Coop wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:09 am I have my doubts about it releasing today. There's nothing about it on Live Wire's twitter, so all we have is the one video for proof. Granted, we just got done with Quake II Enhanced being announced and released on the same day, and I would love to be proven wrong, but... I have doubts.

The other question is, how much will it be? $9.99? $19.99? $39.99?
Japanese publishers/developers aren't usually very good about communicating stuff about steam releases. I think default is the games release at 10am west coast where valve is, so that is about 2 hours after my post. This being barely announced and then released wouldn't be very surprising to me. As for the price, I'd say its safe to guess its the same as the switch eshop version. 19.99$ most likely.

I'm trying to not get too excited, so if it doesn't come out I'm not so disappointed. It already took so long after the ikaruga port was released that I gave up and bought an STV board to throw in my cab and just played RSG that way.
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

I just did a bit more looking and realized the trailer on steam didn't have a release date anymore. Looks like they changed the trailer not long after it was put up, but I didn't notice. Steamdb shows the trailer replaced on August 3rd. This really does make me think it may not really be releasing today. :(
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

STGAlmond wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:14 pm I just did a bit more looking and realized the trailer on steam didn't have a release date anymore. Looks like they changed the trailer not long after it was put up, but I didn't notice. Steamdb shows the trailer replaced on August 3rd. This really does make me think it may not really be releasing today. :(
Yeah, they literally changed up the same trailer without the release date at the end the same day the Store Page went live. And since LiveWire's socials haven't mention anything about the PC/Steam port at all (other than advertising the JP SuperDeluxe physical releases and the digital Switch versions on sale until 8/30/23), makes me think its not coming out today. For comparsion though, Raiden III: Mikado Maniax has also yet to be released on PC/Steam, despite already released on consoles.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Aaaaaaaand back to waiting.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

cfx wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:40 am
Steven wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:39 am While I am here, does anyone know what the 360 and Switch versions of this game actually are? Are they running the game through software emulation or do these versions actually run natively? It would be really cool if these are actually ports and not emulated.
No facts, but speculation. Treasure appear to be the developer for the Xbox 360 version; someone with the game could confirm that via the credits. I would not expect them to emulate the game but to instead port it. At the time this was done, was there even any kind of Saturn emulation that was of commecial quality that could be used, and would the Xbox 360 be capable of running?

I can't remember--does the Xbox 360 game have any kind of slight gameplay differences compared to Saturn, like Ikaruga does? Chains that are different, enemeies that appear at slightly different times, etc.? That would answer the question.

OTOH, since as far as I'm aware all the Live Wire releases on Switch are all Xbox 360 versions of games, I suspect they're either emulating those, or they have some kind of procedure or tools they're using to convert Xbox 360 code to Switch and now PC. The Nintendo page for the Switch version that is linked from Treasure's website list Live Wire as the developer.
Steven wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:53 pm For the past few years, I have been wondering if Maegawa is the only person left at Treasure at this point, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was actually the case. Wikipedia (not the best source, but...) says less than 10 people are there, and one is definitely less than 10.
Treasure appear to be nothing more than an IP licensing company at this point. What would any additional employees even do? Unless they still do behind the scenes contract work on games for others?

Their company page doesn't list number of employees:
https://treasure-inc.co.jp/company.html

It would be incredibly difficult to know where to draw the line between port and emulation... but yeah the main point is the 360 version had some lag (believe 3 frames) and was extremely accurate ... so either well done emulation or not the greatest port or something of both? It was something you can adjust to fine, but something you can still feel.

It will be interesting to get this on pc and see if there might be options/hacks/driver work arounds that could effect things...

I always thought the hd version never played quite as smoothly on 360 as low res version either, but was never sure if that was just my impression or what - never saw any analysis this (?) ... should try it on xbone...

Microsoft actively courted treasure for radiant silvergun (alongside some other developers they saw as important) - they were incredibly bullish about trying to i) break sony's strangle hold on Japan and ii) become a positive name in more 'hardcore' circles. Nothing was made too public, but this certainly led to some kind of incentive. (It was basically the same initiative that saw cave come to 360, and some notable jrpgs - which were probably a much larger investment.)

Alongside treasure's reluctance to revist old games it was often supposed something about respecting this arrangement might prevent rs from being ported again - luckily that clearly isn't the case!

Treasure has effectively stopped active development and exists just as a rights holder now. It's a delicate line to tread since it can imply criticism, and everyone has a lot of respect for Treasure and Masato Maegawa - but I suppose the best way to put it is treasure had some spectacular moments in time, performance anxiety must be one hell of a thing, and you have to really want to make something to make any computer game. And what does treasure want to make now?

... it's entiely possible Masato Maegawa has a more private career elsewhere these days... but whether or not he does; I don't think anyone could begrudge him feeling happily 'done'.
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

Well dang, it didn't come out after all. Wonder if they're waiting for that chiptune DLC to be finished before launching the port. (It's what is holding up the LRG ver)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

This game doesn't support keyboard?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

xxx1993 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:28 pm This game doesn't support keyboard?
Well, that's what it says on the store page. Not that we can't test it, considering it still hasn't been released on PC/Steam. That, and LiveWire still hasn't mentioned anything yet officially about the PC/Steam port.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Did they fix the input lag? The XBox version had more than the original. I was just wondering if it's been fixed, or if any modders could fix it.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

NeoStrayCat wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:45 am
xxx1993 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:28 pm This game doesn't support keyboard?
Well, that's what it says on the store page. Not that we can't test it, considering it still hasn't been released on PC/Steam. That, and LiveWire still hasn't mentioned anything yet officially about the PC/Steam port.
I'm trying to get a friend to download it since he plays shmups like I do, but...
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

Any chances of Soukyugurentai being released too? I love that game much more than Radiant Silvergun.