New forum software / theme bugs thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
system11

Re: New forum software / theme bugs thread

Post by system11 »

EmperorIng wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:37 pm
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:27 pm Looks nice! Shame about the tables being broken but it's not necessarily the end of the world.
For those of us maintaining scoreboards it's a pain. Like you said, hopefully it's fixable; it was probably my favorite feature to the forum in the last 5 or more years.
They might all have to be re-done unfortunately. I don't see any option so far that just fixes what exists as the whole bbcode parser changed.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
system11

Post by system11 »

Oh - could someone take a screenshot of how narrow its looking for them because on mine the black area is only about 10% width on the left and right - I tested on a 4k and 1080P screen, I thought it looked kind of nice but it's clearly not working if its really taking up 60% as someone suggested above.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

The new forum is still logging me out randomly, and making me log back in (even if I just visited a couple hours ago), as I detailed in this topic. Others were experiencing the same thing so I assume they still have the same issue as well. I've also gotten a COMPLETELY new computer since making that post, with an OS 4 years newer with new browser versions and everything... and the problem still persists (have to manually log in - and yes, I'm checking the "stay logged in" checkbox).

Smaller things that other phpBB's have been able to do for literally decades which we still can't do: Click on a user's name and have an option to see all of their created TOPICS... like to find the topic I linked to above, usually you just click on the username and then their topic and you can find it in 5 seconds... but on this forum I can ONLY see their post history... so I literally had to manually search back FIVE PAGES of my posts to find that topic I made... super annoying and a waste of time.

Oh... even making the link to the above is annoying as well... this forum makes you literally have to add your own code: you have to add the equal sign then paste in the URL manually into the [ url ] code... people who don't know code WILL have a problem with that. Should just be a pop-up where you paste in the URL like every other phpBB forum (and others) has had for 20+ years.

Not the end of the world by any means, and I HIGHLY appreciate you taking the time to migrate! ...just what I've found so far that I really thought/hoped would be fixed...
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system11

Post by system11 »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:08 am Clicking "Mark Forums Read" opens up a blank information box (but does function).

Thanks, that will be easy to fix later.

As a heads up I will be fixing things that are broken ahead of other issues - my hands are really bad at the moment with RSI.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

system11 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:24 pm Oh - could someone take a screenshot of how narrow its looking for them because on mine the black area is only about 10% width on the left and right - I tested on a 4k and 1080P screen, I thought it looked kind of nice but it's clearly not working if its really taking up 60% as someone suggested above.
Spoiler
system11

Post by system11 »

system11 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:28 pm
PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:08 am Clicking "Mark Forums Read" opens up a blank information box (but does function).

Thanks, that will be easy to fix later.

As a heads up I will be fixing things that are broken ahead of other issues - my hands are really bad at the moment with RSI.
This is fixed.
system11

Post by system11 »

EmperorIng wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:28 pm
Spoiler
Oh wow, oh dear. What resolution are you on?
system11

Post by system11 »

KennyMan666 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:31 am Yeah, def don't like the fixed width. So, of course, the first thing I did was whip up a Stylus script for myself that changed the main column max width to 90% rather than a fixed amount of pixels.

But with or without the script, I note that there's absolutely no padding between the user field and the post field, and that does not look great.

Edit: Also please make those green user online indicators not be animated.
Please check again at your end as it was never that bad for me - but in theory this is fixed.
system11

Post by system11 »

How does the width look now?
system11

Post by system11 »

null1024 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:14 am The biggest thing that's bugging me is that the logo up top doesn't return you to the front page of the forum.
I need some help from a web developer on that. I tried everything but it was beyond my ability to have it center correctly between the left and right float elements without just making it a background image.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

system11 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:25 pm How does the width look now?
Looking better now, thank you.
Dochartaigh wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:25 pm Smaller things that other phpBB's have been able to do for literally decades which we still can't do: Click on a user's name and have an option to see all of their created TOPICS... like to find the topic I linked to above, usually you just click on the username and then their topic and you can find it in 5 seconds... but on this forum I can ONLY see their post history... so I literally had to manually search back FIVE PAGES of my posts to find that topic I made... super annoying and a waste of time.
You can use advanced search for your own topics (or others) as a workaround, but a single link would be convenient.
system11

Post by system11 »

Dochartaigh wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:25 pm The new forum is still logging me out randomly, and making me log back in (even if I just visited a couple hours ago), as I detailed in this topic. Others were experiencing the same thing so I assume they still have the same issue as well. I've also gotten a COMPLETELY new computer since making that post, with an OS 4 years newer with new browser versions and everything... and the problem still persists (have to manually log in - and yes, I'm checking the "stay logged in" checkbox).
Not sure what is causing that, might need to delete cookies or something. I can't fix what I can't replicate.
Smaller things that other phpBB's have been able to do for literally decades which we still can't do: Click on a user's name and have an option to see all of their created TOPICS... like to find the topic I linked to above, usually you just click on the username and then their topic and you can find it in 5 seconds... but on this forum I can ONLY see their post history... so I literally had to manually search back FIVE PAGES of my posts to find that topic I made... super annoying and a waste of time.

Oh... even making the link to the above is annoying as well... this forum makes you literally have to add your own code: you have to add the equal sign then paste in the URL manually into the [ url ] code... people who don't know code WILL have a problem with that. Should just be a pop-up where you paste in the URL like every other phpBB forum (and others) has had for 20+ years.
None of these features exist out of the box on PHPBB 3.3 - so that's why they don't exist, migrating 3.0 to 3.3 was actually a pretty big step, it opens the door to modern extensions.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Funny enough, previous to the upgrade I only ever saw the starfield if I was logged out. Logging in would remove it and it would be a black background. Now the starfield is always visible. I don't have a problem the background itself (it is classic), however, the actual forum table is transparent and this on top of the starfield makes the text difficult to read.

I don't mind the narrow behavior all that much. When I'm on devices with a keyboard and mouse, I just zoom in (control + mouse wheel up) if I need the text larger, then zoom back out when I no longer need it. Not a huge deal to me personally.
system11

Post by system11 »

Austin wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:47 pm Funny enough, previous to the upgrade I only ever saw the starfield if I was logged out. Logging in would remove it and it would be a black background. Now the starfield is always visible. I don't have a problem the background itself (it is classic), however, the actual forum table is transparent and this on top of the starfield makes the text difficult to read.

I don't mind the narrow behavior all that much. When I'm on devices with a keyboard and mouse, I just zoom in (control + mouse wheel up) if I need the text larger, then zoom back out when I no longer need it. Not a huge deal to me personally.
There were two themes, a lot of people were using the 'lite' one that took the stars away. I WILL be creating it again but only once the normal theme is in a better overall place.
Steven

Post by Steven »

system11 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:49 pm
Spoiler
That's exactly what I get as well and I'm using 1920x1080.
system11

Post by system11 »

Steven wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:40 am
Spoiler
How about now? I adjusted it yesterday - you might have to shift-reload to force the CSS to be reloaded.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I was going to bitch that nothing changed, but I shift-reloaded and it looks much better now.

The pulsing green "online" icons are weirding me out though bruh.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't mind the animation as much as the fact that they are positioned a few pixels too high :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

system11 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:13 pmThere were two themes, a lot of people were using the 'lite' one that took the stars away. I WILL be creating it again but only once the normal theme is in a better overall place.
Cheers bud - no rush, done whenever it's done. :smile:

Perhaps we lot were the real blackmen.txt all along :shock:
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

system11 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:54 pm Please check again at your end as it was never that bad for me - but in theory this is fixed.
Mildly better now.

I do think a thin vertical line separating the user field and the post field, or a slight colour difference between the two, might be something to consider.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

The logo on top is not linked to the main forum any longer. Could you please fix that?
The new narrower layout is ok on computer but not very cool on mobile.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

New forum looks nice!

Is there any chance tables are coming back? Either the old tag or any other new way to make tables. If not, there is huge workload coming towards many of us, see e.g. https://vps-3576da.stackvps.com/viewtopic.php?t=60767
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It was actually discussed on the previously page, sadly there's a bug in the way tables are handled and there's not an immediate, easy fix, so we'll just have to sit tight for now.
system11

Post by system11 »

The way they will defined will definitely change I'm afraid looking at the options - the old one simpl is not compatible with PHPBB anymore, so I have to see which extension is nicest. I'm a bit busy for the next few days - family & health stuff.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Depending on the syntax of the new tables you'll probably be able to regex one into the other anyway. The real problem will be posts by users who aren't around any more staying broken short of mod intervention.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Just a minor cosmetic issue, but the text on the user details on the left side of posts is weirdly cut off/cramped:

Viewing the site in Firefox, no fancy stylistic tomfoolery happening on my end that I'm aware of.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

small request for better/easier board navigation: could you put a link to the board index behind the forum logo on top ?

When I'm in the depth somewhere (e.g. in PMs), it's an easier way to navigate back the actual board instead of having to find the small "board index" link somewhere in the upper navigation.

PS: the updated spacing is much better - thanks!
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Could we push up the thread page selector a little bit? Preferrably centered just like the actual thread links? It's looking a bit unfriendly rn
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Steven

Post by Steven »

system11 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:00 am
Steven wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:40 am

How about now? I adjusted it yesterday - you might have to shift-reload to force the CSS to be reloaded.
Yep, that fixed it. Excellent, thanks.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Fudoh wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:06 am small request for better/easier board navigation: could you put a link to the board index behind the forum logo on top ?

When I'm in the depth somewhere (e.g. in PMs), it's an easier way to navigate back the actual board instead of having to find the small "board index" link somewhere in the upper navigation.

PS: the updated spacing is much better - thanks!
Second that. I could have sworn i always clicked the forum logo to navigate back to index