NEW Component to RGB transcoder that has no issues with Wii

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rulumi

Re: NEW Component to RGB transcoder that has no issues with

Post by Rulumi »

Syntax wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:30 pm
I forgot how annoying it can be for the NTSC units.

Id probably go the route of RV loader if modding and requiring HV sync.
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?t ... v1-6.4295/
For interlaced output, just changing the video mode to PAL with homebrew should suffice for most things, some games may still switch to the NTSC video mode and PAL video mode even if changing the whole set up and menu to one that fully utilizes one though, for most of that games though, patching the mode with something like USBLoaderGX, WiiFlow or similar will suffice with a lot of games.

Using RVLoader and making the small hardware mod (routing) will be better if progressive RGB analog output is really nedded I guess.
ibrahima

Re: NEW Component to RGB transcoder that has no issues with Wii

Post by ibrahima »

Received one of these today and generally very happy with it.

The dual vga and scart outputs are very welcome as those are very thin on the ground nowadays in either format and regrettably the retrotink comp2rgb has the already mentioned issues with wii component output. I had been using the comp2rgb for a while and it did the job, but was a bit disappointed to find out that the white/purple issues I had encountered from the start of using that device were pretty common for other people. I had assumed it was due to my rat-king of assorted budget cables and switches until I had a further look around here.

One thing to emphasise on the JS transcoder is that the brightness level will be affected if you have both the scart and the vga output in use. This is mentioned in John’s post here but it is worth emphasising in case you hope to use it for that purpose. On the scart side you can mitigate this by ensuring the VGA output goes into a VGA switch where you can terminate that end of the connection, as understandably a powered off display can remain live to some extent. I don’t have a suitable scart switch for achieving the same thing on the scart output. I might have to just buy another transcoder!

If there was a v3 of this device it would be great if there was a simple switch to isolate either output, or if a second amplifier could be squeezed in there to support both at full brightness. Likewise a headphone output or other audio passthrough for the VGA side would be welcome, but thankfully for myself I can just use my distribution amp for that purpose.