HD Fury X3 same as HD Fury 3? How does 3/X3 compare to X4/4?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: HD Fury X3 same as HD Fury 3? How does 3/X3 compare to X4/4?

Post by Fudoh »

I suggest joining the Discord, as they will only share firmware links via private message
last time I tried, they will also just email you, if you send them one first.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Sounds good!

Maybe this is just my old man moment but I'm really annoyed by everybody moving to Discord. I think I'll drop them an email regarding the HDFury2.

Thanks again
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I was snooping around online and it looks like the Nano GX has some sort of firmware update as well. I assume the firmwares for the HDF2 and Nano GX don’t have very significant changes since there wasn’t even a description of what difference they make, whereas the HDF3 firmware is quite an improvement
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

I've just updated my HD Fury 3 with the Neo firmware. I'm not using a PS4 in my setup but I'm using a Vita Tv so I will have to return back to see if it improved.
If there is one thing I'm not very fond of the HD Fury 3 it is the audio jack. The sound is quite low when using the adapter. Anyone else noticed this?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

RebeL9 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:53 am I've just updated my HD Fury 3 with the Neo firmware. I'm not using a PS4 in my setup but I'm using a Vita Tv so I will have to return back to see if it improved.
If there is one thing I'm not very fond of the HD Fury 3 it is the audio jack. The sound is quite low when using the adapter. Anyone else noticed this?
Pretty much all of these DACs have terrible analogue audio output. Whenever possible, always extract digital audio from HDMI before converting it to analogue video.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

RebeL9 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:53 am I've just updated my HD Fury 3 with the Neo firmware. I'm not using a PS4 in my setup but I'm using a Vita Tv so I will have to return back to see if it improved.
Strange, I've never noticed that before. I'll have to compare next time I use it with my PS4 / switch over to something on the SD input board
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I have been Googling old forum posts from all over and it seems like the universal opinion that the Nano GX is just the absolute cream of the crop out of all the units. REALLY wish that they were still available, super curious about giving one a try. Jealous of all the folks here who managed to grab one back in the day. In all these old posts I've seen, I also didn't see many people talking about the added Gamma Boost function, but I own some of the HDFury (and precursor brand, X-Vue) gamma adjustment boxes and they're quite cool. They work well in particularly dark content (think Resident Evil games, many of the FROMsoft games, very dark films) by illuminating some of the more dark parts of the image while also completely retaining true blacks.

Said feature is also functional in cases such as using scanline filters on stuff like the OSSC, RT5X, et al. But this is just a tangent - what I'm particularly interested in is just the resounding good reviews and zero mention of any black crush, ghosting, color inaccuracy, stuff like that. Really hope to chance across one someday... I've had a saved eBay search query for YEARS and have never seen one listed. Oh well!

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Messing around with gamma rather than calibrating your display is just a gimmick, so you're not missing out on much.

I can see some potential usefulness in the case of scanline filters and such, but for a PC CRT you're better off boosting the levels with a cheap Extron interface, and for a flat panel of course it's way better to use HDR instead.
cfx

Post by cfx »

fernan1234 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:01 am Messing around with gamma rather than calibrating your display is just a gimmick, so you're not missing out on much.

I can see some potential usefulness in the case of scanline filters and such, but for a PC CRT you're better off boosting the levels with a cheap Extron interface, and for a flat panel of course it's way better to use HDR instead.
Why is it better? How is that any less gimmicky and revisionist than the gamma tweaking?

Not to mention that not every monitor or TV even has HDR.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

cfx wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:33 am Why is it better? How is that any less gimmicky and revisionist than the gamma tweaking?

Not to mention that not every monitor or TV even has HDR.
The point was about adjusting gamma to compensate for brightness loss caused by using CRT-simulation filters. For the specific case of flat panels, using HDR will lead to better results in this regard, of course if available on the display in question.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

To me it seems like even if you have perfectly adjusted gamma & a calibrated monitor, it could still some efficacy in particularly dark content. I'm not saying you want to have the thing in use / cranked up all the time. Just in dark applicable content, with the quick adjustment to a dial rather than making minor adjustments to brightness and contrast on your monitor prior to setting it back to your usual settings. Again, for something dark like, for instance, Resident Evil 1 remake for GameCube I could definitely see it as a temporary strength.

Gamma adjustment knob aside, I've heard nothing but great things about the Nano GX having the utmost color accuracy and image quality out of all the other HDFurys. Most definitely interested in finding one someday.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

Just purchased a HD Fury 3 to replace a Porta HDMI to VGA adapter I've been using but has struggled with N64 and AO486 video output.

I'm connecting via HDMI out into the HD Fury 3 then to a PC CRT (Mitsubishi diamond pro 2070sb) via VGA port.

Code: Select all

[MiSTer]
key_menu_as_rgui=0     ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0   ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0                ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=0       ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0           ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0       ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
vscale_mode=4          ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
                       ; 1 - use integer scale only.
                       ; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
                       ; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
                       ; 4 - integer resolution scaling, use core aspect ratio
                       ; 5 - integer resolution scaling, maintain display aspect ratio
vscale_border=0        ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)
;bootscreen=0          ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig. 
;mouse_throttle=10     ; 1-100 mouse speed divider. Useful for very sensitive mice
rbf_hide_datecode=0    ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=0             ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=2         ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
                       ; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=0         ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
fb_size=2              ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=1          ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30         ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 0 - never timeout.
                       ; Background picture will get darker after double timeout
osd_rotate=0           ; Display OSD menu rotated,  0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), 2 - rotate left (-90°)                  
vga_sog=0              ; 1 - enable sync on green (needs analog I/O board v6.0 or newer).
video_mode=1920,1080,60,cvt

I'm trying to figure out if the unit is busted or not. I've got the DIPS set as follows:

1 - ON; 2 - ON; 3 - OFF; 4 - ON; 5 - ON; 6 - ON; 7 - ON; 8 -ON

I updated the Fury 3 firmware using the NEO firmware tool linked earlier.

Any tips on what the problem might be? Getting no video signal on the monitor. Works find when I plug the Porta adapter back in.

Cheers
John
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

zoopster wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:30 pm Just purchased a HD Fury 3 to replace a Porta HDMI to VGA adapter I've been using but has struggled with N64 and AO486 video output.

I'm connecting via HDMI out into the HD Fury 3 then to a PC CRT (Mitsubishi diamond pro 2070sb) via VGA port.

Code: Select all

[MiSTer]
key_menu_as_rgui=0     ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0   ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0                ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=0       ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0           ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0       ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
vscale_mode=4          ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
                       ; 1 - use integer scale only.
                       ; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
                       ; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
                       ; 4 - integer resolution scaling, use core aspect ratio
                       ; 5 - integer resolution scaling, maintain display aspect ratio
vscale_border=0        ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)
;bootscreen=0          ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig. 
;mouse_throttle=10     ; 1-100 mouse speed divider. Useful for very sensitive mice
rbf_hide_datecode=0    ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=0             ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=2         ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
                       ; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=0         ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
fb_size=2              ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=1          ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30         ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 0 - never timeout.
                       ; Background picture will get darker after double timeout
osd_rotate=0           ; Display OSD menu rotated,  0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), 2 - rotate left (-90°)                  
vga_sog=0              ; 1 - enable sync on green (needs analog I/O board v6.0 or newer).
video_mode=1920,1080,60,cvt

I'm trying to figure out if the unit is busted or not. I've got the DIPS set as follows:

1 - ON; 2 - ON; 3 - OFF; 4 - ON; 5 - ON; 6 - ON; 7 - ON; 8 -ON

I updated the Fury 3 firmware using the NEO firmware tool linked earlier.

Any tips on what the problem might be? Getting no video signal on the monitor. Works find when I plug the Porta adapter back in.

Cheers
John
Do you have the HDFury connected to external power?

Also, if you have already tried using external power with no luck: could try messing with holding down the horizontal position dial and hotplugging the HDFury. That's helped me before when I wasn't getting an image.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

Do you have the HDFury connected to external power?

Also, if you have already tried using external power with no luck: could try messing with holding down the horizontal position dial and hotplugging the HDFury. That's helped me before when I wasn't getting an image.
Got it working. I hadn't set direct video to enabled.

The video quality isn't as good as I was hoping for and I was surprised the HDFury couldn't pass through video modes with the scaler enabled and direct video disabled (which my Porta adapter could do).
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Is that the rining problem you are talking about ? One photo is a trip lite dac (ag6200) and the other a hdfury x3 i bought a few month ago.

Image Image
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

atohmdiy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:18 am Is that the rining problem you are talking about ? One photo is a trip lite dac (ag6200) and the other a hdfury x3 i bought a few month ago.

Image Image
Looks like it, yeah. Can you send me a link to the Trip Lite DAC that you bought? My HDFury 3 died and I'd like to get a different HDMI -> VGA converter if possible.
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

It confirms what i thought. I found the text to be strange with my brand new X3. Not a hugh issue but unacceptable for a reference DAC like this. I will try the neo firmware tomorrow, see if it correct the issue.

The problem with dac is that most of them suck pretty hard, look at this :
https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=7151
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

If you trust these test you should go for the Icy Box IB-ACxx series.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

At some point in the near future, it looks like the OSSC Pro will become the preferred DAC solution. And you'll be supporting open source.
We apologise for the inconvenience
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Support open source is all i want, but the oss pro seems to be a little too much when don't need scaler function... :roll:

Anyway i tried a dip switch settings with the X3, no settings seems to correct the issue, including switching to component. I also tried to flash the neo firmware but i can't. I boot the x3 in bootloader mode, but when i click to "connect" it says an error. I doubt it's a compatibility issue with w11, i tried many things and always the error. My X3 is new, to me it's most likely they now use a different micro controller for the device.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The OSSC Pro won't fuck up your image and it will end the need for an Extron RGB or using the service menu for centering.

Certainly, there will price sensitive gamers that can't afford the best. That's unfortunate. :roll:

It's also funny to see you posting eye rolls while you complain that your current DAC doesn't work right. :lol: My HDFury Nano works great, though. So, I guess you're right about a simple solution. Where are you going to get one?
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

I can certainly afford an oss pro, but paying 356€ + shipping to only use the digital to analog conversion part of the thing... well i'm not stupid sorry :roll: :roll: :roll: .
And for centering, i don't need it but if i do, my extron rgb that i paid 30€ will work fine for the job :roll: :roll: :roll:
And if i need any kind of scaling, my modded gbs-c with it's total cost of 25€ will do just nicely for me :roll: :roll: :roll:

As for the fury x3, it's the first time i pay such premium price for something that is suppose to be "reference". So when you do pay for such product, you want perfection and no trouble, that's the whole point of it. Here it seems a simple 20€ dac can have the same image quality without the crappy halo effect. I am a simple guy, i test myself and i judge. At this point i am starting to think hd fury is just another overpriced garbage for dummies. It's not like this halo effect issue isn't known and for a product that is on sale for what, at least 10 years ? It's hard to accept.

I'm sure you are one of those that think a 50k$ hifi amplifier (yes i am hifi hobbyist) will mathematically have a better quality than a 1k€ one.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

atohmdiy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:10 pm At this point i am starting to think hd fury is just another overpriced garbage
It is. Myths are hard to kill though, and people will keep wasting their money and time on these because they've been sanctified by old forum posts and a spreadsheet making the rounds lately.

You are indeed better off just rolling through dirt cheap DACs until you find one or two that meet your needs.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I am quite certain I have more video gear sitting in storage than you have ever owned.

A modded Gonbes can only downscale 480p, it doesn't have true frame lock (tear lines appear in long sessions), and it can't handle odd sync (or medium res) from PCB's. No digital input, either. It's certainly a nice bargain priced machine, but it's hardly the ultimate solution for downscaling/video processing. I own a Gonbes. I bet I own every piece of gear you have and much more.

I purchased my HDFury Nano brand new for standard retail price. So, I certainly didn't spend a lot. Where are you going to get one? And, what happens when that Extron RGB gets old? You're going to open it up and recap it?

Availability and convenience are thing.
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

orange808 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:35 pm I am quite certain I have more video gear sitting in storage than you have ever owned.
Great for you.
orange808 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:35 pm A modded Gonbes can only downscale 480p, it doesn't have true frame lock (tear lines appear in long sessions), and it can't handle odd sync (or medium res) from PCB's. No digital input, either. It's certainly a nice bargain priced machine, but it's hardly the ultimate solution for downscaling/video processing. I own a Gonbes. I bet I own every piece of gear you have and much more.
Yes it's far from perfect and as i said it's fine for me.
You own more stuff than me. Yah yah... Great for you ?
orange808 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:35 pm
I purchased my HDFury Nano brand new for standard retail price. So, I certainly didn't spend a lot. Where are you going to get one? And, what happens when that Extron RGB gets old? You're going to open it up and recap it?

Availability and convenience are thing.
Yes i can recap and repair things. I bought a damaged BVM 2010p that i repaired, cleaned and entirely recap (~350 caps).
I also have one another extron in the reserve that i also pay for cheap, in case i need it. Total cost of both my extron was around 70€, still better than spending 400 for an ossc pro.
I don't say the ossc pro suck or anything, i say I don't need it, especially not for simple D/A conversion.

You seems very proud of your nano and the fact that you are in the business long enough so you bought the right thing at the right time. Again... good for you...
But the truth is you really sound like an idiot ( :roll: :roll: ). "i have a lot more than than you in my storage" ; " i have more stuff you'll ever own" "i got this unobtainium dac and you need one, have fun getting one" and blah and blah.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Owning things and having experience with them gives a person insight and information that can be shared.

I'm quite happy with all my machines. That's why collecting and tinkering with video gear is among my hobbies.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

orange808 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:35 pm I am quite certain I have more video gear sitting in storage than you have ever owned.
This and a few other judgy comments toward him and his money make you sound terrible. Not sure if you realize this.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

ldeveraux wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm
This and a few other judgy comments toward him and his money make you sound terrible. Not sure if you realize this.
I didn't start that particular exchange and atoh set the tone. I didn't take the high road, but I guess I'm feisty today. And, I said I own the gear and know because: I do.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

orange808 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:43 pm I didn't start that particular exchange and atoh set the tone. I didn't take the high road, but I guess I'm feisty today. And, I said I own the gear and know because: I do.
No I hear you, it's just the forum equivalent of "Don't you know who I am???"
orange808

Post by orange808 »

ldeveraux wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:10 pm No I hear you, it's just the forum equivalent of "Don't you know who I am???"
My point is that legacy equipment is difficult to find and maintain--and most people won't want to go down the rabbit hole with me. That's why I kept asking where you're going to source my DAC. It's equally frustrating to play the lottery buying a bunch of random unbranded Chinese gear and hoping it works.

That all relates back to my original post earlier in the thread about a single community video processor to drop in front of a CRT. There was a thread just last week about getting the image centered on a CRT. The sampling step adds a layer of complexity, but it will be nice to finally recommend something that people can just buy, install, set up and use with minimal hassle.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Eventually cheaper OSSC Pros will start getting made available (it is open source after all!), and at that point it'll be easier to make it the default recommendation even if mainly for DAC use. Although the cost of the analogue-out add-on board will also need to be included.

In the meantime there are cheap options available that won't have issues though.