Cosmo Machia acquires Triggerheart Exelica

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sturmvogel Prime

Cosmo Machia acquires Triggerheart Exelica

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Looks like Cosmo Machia is up to something with TH.
https://www.gematsu.com/2023/05/cosmo-m ... rt-exelica
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
xxx1993

Re: Cosmo Machia acquires Triggerheart Exelica

Post by xxx1993 »

This is great news. Though to be honest, I’d rather have a sequel. Maybe the Ver’Mith aren’t finished with Earth just yet.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It was pointed to me out that a handful of Cosmo Machina employees are former Warashi devs.

I don't expect anything other than a new port (like the Shikigami PC ports), but even that would be quite welcome! Triggerheart is a unique game.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Hopefully it'll collate all the content from the various versions over the years... but I expect it'll just be a straight port of the 360 version
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Still have the PS2 version rotating in and out occasionally. One of the very few PS2 games that supports Progressive Scan. I'd love to see a modern refresh with save states.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Triggerheart is a cool game.

I could live without the fan service, but mechanically it's pretty neat. On the easier side once you get the spinning down. Spin and win.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Hmm just Triggerheart mentioned, but I'll take it. The anchor system was an interesting enough hook (pun intended).

Warashi is also Shienryu and Sengeki Striker?
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

Jeneki wrote:Hmm just Triggerheart mentioned, but I'll take it. The anchor system was an interesting enough hook (pun intended).

It isn't mentioned in the gematsu article, but other articles (like this one https://automaton-media.com/articles/ne ... 15-247432/) specifically say that they have not acquired any other Warashi games. Apparently Hamster may have got the rights for Warashi's other games.

Either way, I'm looking forward to this - based on their shikigami steam ports, this should be good. Hopefully it will make it to steam as well.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Good to see someone doing something productive with this IP. While the 360 version would be the easiest option for worldwide distribution I'd prefer to see them retool Enhanced for a re-release as it contains far more content and has the anime intro (not to mention it'd be nice to play THEE without all the insane tearing when played in tate).
nZero

Post by nZero »

Kiken wrote:Good to see someone doing something productive with this IP. While the 360 version would be the easiest option for worldwide distribution I'd prefer to see them retool Enhanced for a re-release as it contains far more content and has the anime intro (not to mention it'd be nice to play THEE without all the insane tearing when played in tate).
Wonder how the licensing works with the OP song for THEE.

Since the 360 version is already compatible with XB1/XSX, the main thing I'm hoping to see come out of this is at least a feature-parity version for Steam, bonus points for including DC (for a true Arcade mode) and PS2 (for the best Story mode without the tearing and slowdown) game content.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I'd like it on PS4 since that's the only way I'll be able to play it, but I don't think this company does Playstation so...
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

nZero wrote:
Kiken wrote:Good to see someone doing something productive with this IP. While the 360 version would be the easiest option for worldwide distribution I'd prefer to see them retool Enhanced for a re-release as it contains far more content and has the anime intro (not to mention it'd be nice to play THEE without all the insane tearing when played in tate).
Wonder how the licensing works with the OP song for THEE.

Since the 360 version is already compatible with XB1/XSX, the main thing I'm hoping to see come out of this is at least a feature-parity version for Steam, bonus points for including DC (for a true Arcade mode) and PS2 (for the best Story mode without the tearing and slowdown) game content.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:Hopefully it'll collate all the content from the various versions over the years... but I expect it'll just be a straight port of the 360 version
This! Essentially everything (all modes) from all ports, and put them into one modern/current get version with all options. Besides the BC Xbox version, which is basically just "arcade mode" only with no extra modes, but some specific options.
To Far Away Times wrote:Triggerheart is a cool game. I could live without the fan service, but mechanically it's pretty neat. On the easier side once you get the spinning down. Spin and win.
To be fair, there's barely any fanservice in the game itself (though at least the Triggerhearts do wear civlian clothing outside of their combat gear when they're not fighting), unless you mean other mediums, then that's a different story. But yeah, Triggerheart is a cool game I go back on here and there. (Except when they reset/delete your online scores from the Xbox version if you don't get back to it from at least a year.)
cfx wrote:I'd like it on PS4 since that's the only way I'll be able to play it, but I don't think this company does Playstation so...
Actually, Cosmo Machia did release something on the PS platform, that being FANTAVISION 202X for PS5 a while ago. Though unless they'll do it similar to Shikigami, the probabilty would be mostly a PC/Steam and Switch release, and just maybe, PS.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Nate123

Post by Nate123 »

mojilove wrote:
Jeneki wrote:Hmm just Triggerheart mentioned, but I'll take it. The anchor system was an interesting enough hook (pun intended).

It isn't mentioned in the gematsu article, but other articles (like this one https://automaton-media.com/articles/ne ... 15-247432/) specifically say that they have not acquired any other Warashi games. Apparently Hamster may have got the rights for Warashi's other games.

Either way, I'm looking forward to this - based on their shikigami steam ports, this should be good. Hopefully it will make it to steam as well.
Thanks was trying to find out if that was the case
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Going to be a Japanese crowdfunding campaign to bring Exelica to the Switch.
Sturmvogel Prime

Judging by the artwork and the screenshots in the background, it is gonna be based on the Dreamcast release. There's a Story Mode cutscene on the left.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Ugh, why the Dreamcast version?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. They did really interesting new stuff with Castle of Shikigami 2, and added new modes, new dialogue, etc. The new character-swap mode is a really nice little bonus arrange, and shows they're putting in a bit more effort than a straight CC hack job.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

https://www.makuake.com/project/cosmomachia/
Crowdfunding is live - 3m yen goal in one month
Arcade/story/arrange/training modes, online rankings, tate mode, J+EFIGS lang support
Original and arrange soundtracks
No new modes - they're just bringing back the existing arcade, story, and arrange modes
Re platforms, they want to port to switch first but are considering other options
Re possibilities for a sequel, they want to focus on this port right now and see how it goes
The backer tier for the digital version is 3980 yen
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

mojilove wrote:https://www.makuake.com/project/cosmomachia/
Crowdfunding is live - 3m yen goal in one month
They're up to 2.2 million yen with 27 days to go. I think they've got this in the bag.
Sturmvogel Prime

Kiken wrote:I think they've got this in the bag.
It's now in the bag. They've reached the 3 million yen goal sooner that we expected.

Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:
Kiken wrote:I think they've got this in the bag.
It's now in the bag. They've reached the 3 million yen goal sooner that we expected.
20 days left to keep pilling it on. Hell, they completely maxed out the 50,000 Yen tier.
Sturmvogel Prime

With 9 days left for the crowdfunding to end, we've got a new key visual by the character and mecha designer Kazuhiko Kakoi (GRA)
https://www.makuake.com/project/cosmoma ... l/1295746/

Sturmvogel Prime

Judging by the screenshots, the Switch release might be a re-port of the XBLA version.
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202308100081/

NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, as a refresher...the crowdfunding was a success with 6,300,420 yen. They had 2 stretch goals, which one reached...
  • 5M Yen - To have it playable at a specific event. (Probably at TGS or something?)
    10M Yen - Ported to other platforms. (A PC version was mentioned.)
Only the 5M Yen stretch goal was reached. (Hopefully they can eventually port the current gen version to other platforms in the future.)

Their latest post on their crowdfunding page has mentioned that a (import) physical release is confirmed with a release date of 12/14/2023. (With those getting their DL codes for the Switch port sometime before or around it.) And that pre-orders for the physical release will be up before the end of the month (Aug.). Digital release will show up soon.
---
Either way, yeah, assuming the graphics is based on the X360 port, the modes and options specifics will be based on the Dreamcast port (Arcade/Story/Arrange). However, if it were me, and now that I've noticed it a while back. they could have done Triggerheart Exelica's current gen port to be split into 2 versions in one package (similar in a way for DeathSmiles I/II) to have both games with the HD X360 graphics, but the first one being based on the DC port and the second one based on the PS2 port (along with online leaderboards like the X360 version). Since both of them have the character voices sound different between the versions, which woudn't mix well if they did went with a all-in-one port. (Especially in Story Mode in both the DC and PS2 versions. That, and the PS2's story mode is a bit expanded than the DC one.) However, that's more of a pipe dream I don't see that happening, but it would be nice though.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

A little shitty of them to lock a fuckin' steam port behind an additional 5 million yen.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

EmperorIng wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:38 am A little shitty of them to lock a fuckin' steam port behind an additional 5 million yen.
It does, yeah, but hoping sales of the Switch port at least gives them funding for the possibility for a PC/Steam port.

Other than that, their post-croudfuning updates lately have been going through such as...
-Having the Switch port with UI/UX based on the X360 version. But still have the modes/features from the Arcade/DC version.
-Gold and Platinum supporters from their crowdfunding will be posted on their official site soon.
-Original T-Shirt design completed.

And yes, as what Sniffles mentioned, their showcase down at TGS 2023. Also, official site of the Switch port now open. -> https://exelica.cosmomachia.co.jp/en/
tadaito

Post by tadaito »

Looks like Triggerheart Exelica just got delisted on the Xbox One/Series X

Considering less than 10 shmups are even on back compat for them, it's a very symbolic nail in the coffin for Xbox platform shmups.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Is this another one of the seemingly endless amount of games where the Dreamcast version is the best version? I always feel like everything that got released on the Dreamcast and then something/anything else later is always best on Dreamcast. There are a few Dreamcast copies in Akiba right now and I've been thinking about trying it. I am automatically hesitant to get it on Switch because

1. no physical version
2. it's the Switch
Sturmvogel Prime

tadaito wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:07 am Looks like Triggerheart Exelica just got delisted on the Xbox One/Series X

Considering less than 10 shmups are even on back compat for them, it's a very symbolic nail in the coffin for Xbox platform shmups.
I can confirm the game is also unavailable on the Mexican XBOX store. Looks like I've bought it just in time.