Cosmo Machia acquires Triggerheart Exelica

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Cosmo Machia acquires Triggerheart Exelica

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Steven wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:18 am Is this another one of the seemingly endless amount of games where the Dreamcast version is the best version? I always feel like everything that got released on the Dreamcast and then something/anything else later is always best on Dreamcast. There are a few Dreamcast copies in Akiba right now and I've been thinking about trying it. I am automatically hesitant to get it on Switch because

1. no physical version
2. it's the Switch
It'll probably be quicker than waiting for this port! Whether it's the best version.... story mode is largely arcade mode with some dialogue/portrait cut-ins and a "true ending" if you 1cc and meet score conditions. There's also a harder arrange mode which is strictly one credit only, should you tire of the main game. The special edition is just a different cover with an OST CD.

If you have a JP PS2 then that version has another playable character, some cut content restored but loses the DC's arrange mode.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah, seems the delisting on the Xbox version was fairly recent. Though it doesn't make any sense, even though its BC, but a change of rights assumingly since Cosmo Machia has the IP now probably asked Microsoft (studios) to stop selling the Xbox version. (Though the easiest route instead would have just changed the publisher naming, and that's it. Though yeah, I assume its not that easy to do on an older game if you needed to change splash screens and stuff.)

Welp, RIP Xbox version (that at least I still have), that and it was affordable ($10 or regional equivalent). If its anything like Shiki 2, expect it to be priced similarly digitally and physically for the Switch port.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E3%83%88 ... 295G&psc=1

the physical copy is up for preorder on amazon japan. releases december 14 :D
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

DOJ, Radirgy 2 and this all right before Christmas. The kids are getting fuck all at this rate!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Klatrymadon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:41 pm DOJ, Radirgy 2 and this all right before Christmas. The kids are getting fuck all at this rate!
The most glorious development of the past decade is that we've consistently had killer new shooter releases around Christmas time for some inexplicable but lovely reason. M2 dude in the Christmas tree costume on their streams is giving a message! I have been receiving wrapped shooter gifts for most of the past several Christmases! Generally it's me ordering it, game arrives just in time, and I'm asking my wife "please wrap this and give it to me thank youuuuu!" It's a wonderful new festive holiday tradition - I'll play the new game, fire up Deathsmiles II and beat Satan Claws... it's a whole thing lol.

A handful of the notable December releases in recent years:

2016: Battle Garegga Rev.2016 (12/15)
2018: Ketsui (almost December, it released November 29 - close enough!)
2019: Esp Ra.De (12/19), also Natsuki Chronicles released ON Christmas for Xbox
2020: Aleste Collection (12/24!)
2021: Deathsmiles I&II Collection (12/16), Cotton Rock n' Roll (12/23). Physical edition of Dangun Feveron from Limited Run also shipped in December, got mine CE box like a week before Christmas and that was my most exciting present.
2022: Akai Katana (12/15)
2023: Dodonpachi DOJ (12/7)

Hamster has also tended to do an interesting Arcade Archives shooter release the week of Christmas. Sometimes they do another more "special" release that isn't a shooter, like 12/20/2018 being Puzzle Bobble (very notable as their first Taito Arcade Archives release), or Vs. Super Mario Bros. on 12/22/2017.

2017: Pulstar (12/21)
2020: Gradius III (12/24)
2021: Xexex (12/23)
2022: Metal Hawk (12/22)
2023: ???????
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

they announced via the crowdfunding page that they are thinking about doing ports for windows and xbox after the switch port is done. they were gonna do the switch port anyway regardless of whether it was fully backed, so I was kind of expecting them to go forward with the pc port regardless too.
https://www.makuake.com/project/cosmoma ... l/1324346/
Steven

Post by Steven »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:52 am
Steven wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:18 am Is this another one of the seemingly endless amount of games where the Dreamcast version is the best version? I always feel like everything that got released on the Dreamcast and then something/anything else later is always best on Dreamcast. There are a few Dreamcast copies in Akiba right now and I've been thinking about trying it. I am automatically hesitant to get it on Switch because

1. no physical version
2. it's the Switch
It'll probably be quicker than waiting for this port! Whether it's the best version.... story mode is largely arcade mode with some dialogue/portrait cut-ins and a "true ending" if you 1cc and meet score conditions. There's also a harder arrange mode which is strictly one credit only, should you tire of the main game. The special edition is just a different cover with an OST CD.

If you have a JP PS2 then that version has another playable character, some cut content restored but loses the DC's arrange mode.
Yeah, it would be a lot faster, and I am always looking to get more Dreamcast games. I downloaded the demo on 360 like a year ago, but I didn't play it until a few days ago and it seems interesting enough to try. I'd have to check prices, though. It's been quite a while since I went to Akiba, and I think the Dreamcast version is in the 10000 yen range or so. At that point, I might as well get it on Switch, now that there is a physical version.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Looks like there's gonna be a good amount of new collector's item for the hardcore fans (Once again sorry for the lack of info, but I don't know Japanese language).
https://www.amiami.jp/top/detail/detail ... ME-0029307
https://ebten.jp/p/7015023121441?aid=tw
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
cfx

Post by cfx »

The Amiami one contains an acrylic keyholder, and is also on their English website: https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=GAME-0029307

The Ebten one contains:
  1. B3 tapestry of original illustration from Monthly Arcadia
  2. Acrylic board of original illustration from Monthly Arcadia
  3. Original acrylic keyholder
  4. Original clearfile set
  5. 3D crystal "Excelica"
  6. 3D crystal "Feintear" (I don't know how to spell it)
The Ebten keyholder will no doubt be different from the Amiami keyholder.

Standard edition is also available from CDJapan https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/HAC-P-BEPGA and Playasia https://www.play-asia.com/triggerheart- ... /13/70ghev
cfx

Post by cfx »

Website is up: https://exelica.cosmomachia.co.jp/en/

Release date is 12/14/2023.

Cosmo Machia did a TGS livestream, which contained a trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEx27iHKP8E&t=297s

Gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEx27iHKP8E&t=1429s and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEx27iHKP8E&t=1742s
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Wait, is it exactly the same game just with 3D graphics??

Weird...
Sturmvogel Prime

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:07 am Wait, is it exactly the same game just with 3D graphics??

Weird...
Yep, same XBLA game with Dreamcast modes.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!

m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:38 am

Yep, same XBLA game with Dreamcast modes.
I've never played the xbla version (assumed it was a straight port)
But if memory serves (which it may not) everything is identical to the DC version.

I remember people crying a bit about the DC version's lack of graphical polish, so I guess file this under 'be careful what you wish for'

I have no idea why I was under the impression it was a sequel...
cfx

Post by cfx »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:07 am Wait, is it exactly the same game just with 3D graphics??

Weird...
What do you mean? The Dreamcast game had 3D graphics; that is not new, and while this might be cleaned up a bit and no doubt is higher resolution, it looks otherwise exactly like the Dreamcast version.

And how is it weird? It was never claimed to be anything other than a rerelease of the same game.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

cfx wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:06 am
What do you mean? The Dreamcast game had 3D graphics; that is not new, and while this might be cleaned up a bit and no doubt is higher resolution, it looks otherwise exactly like the Dreamcast version.

You're right, exactly like it.
I don't know what I was thinking...
cfx

Post by cfx »

Interesting comparison; a little more difference than I was thinking as it's probably one of those cases where it now looks like what in my memory it always looked like.

It does look nicer because it doesn't have that weird lighting or whatever it was that gave the Dreamcast version such an odd appearance.

Maybe you were thinking of some different game though?
Steven

Post by Steven »

So this is the 360 version but with the stuff from the Dreamcast that was not in the 360 version, right? That would theoretically make this the definitive version of the game, provided they don't break something or add 20 frames of lag.
TransatlanticFoe

The gameplay sections in the video linked above shows it has arcade mode, story mode and arrange mode - this combination of modes is only in the Dreamcast version so it does look like they've just tarted that one up.

However, the website's characters page includes Faintear and lists the same attributes as Exelica/Crueltear as though she's playable, albeit with a ? instead of a description - perhaps they are including the extra stuff from the PS2 version?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Steven wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:02 pm So this is the 360 version but with the stuff from the Dreamcast that was not in the 360 version, right? That would theoretically make this the definitive version of the game, provided they don't break something or add 20 frames of lag.
To me, a definitive version would just be to add both the Dreamcast and PS2's contents together. Which, sadly, it isn't, but its more of a "modern" port of the Dreamcast version.
TransatlanticFoe wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:36 pm The gameplay sections in the video linked above shows it has arcade mode, story mode and arrange mode - this combination of modes is only in the Dreamcast version so it does look like they've just tarted that one up.

However, the website's characters page includes Faintear and lists the same attributes as Exelica/Crueltear as though she's playable, albeit with a ? instead of a description - perhaps they are including the extra stuff from the PS2 version?
Sadly, no, its more that they just ported the Dreamcast version as a base, with some modern touches, like the sidebars/wallpaper from the X360 version, along with online leaderboards. Doubtful if they would have added the stuff from the PS2 version. (Anime Opening, extended story mode [with different voice feel], playable Faintear, gallery, etc.)

Though it would have been nice if Cosmo Machia figured out a way how to do so, either as post launch updates or DLC even, but that's probably a pipe dream.
Sturmvogel Prime

Package revealed, and as far as I can understand katakana, Arcade Mode will be a repackage of the XBLA port with the normal and "No-continue" endings.
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202310230052/

NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

So, progress report so far on the crowdfunding campaign. (You can see images of the posts from here. -> https://www.makuake.com/project/cosmoma ... unication/)

-TGS happened and people have already checked it out. Some players cleared it to the end with the good ending on Arcade mode. The TGS build had some bugs players noticed, so they'll fix it before the official release of the Switch port.
-T-Shirt designs have been made and are or about to start shipping. Soundtrack CD currently in production. Have gotten in touch with Nintendo so that everything's a go, and that they'll start sending out the DL codes for those that crowdfunded around the end of November.
-Physical edition reveal, and basically what Sturmvogel Prime already mentioned. (So yeah, the port is just a mix of the DC/X360 versions together.)
---
Edit/Update (12/5/23):
-OST design completed, 24 tracks will be included. Subtitled name "Re:Sound Anchor". Planned to be pressed/shipped in early December.
-Store page listed on the JP E-shop.
-Re:Sound Anchor's tracklist now completed, it will include 25 tracks, 19 of the X360 tracks with 6 being I-mode arrange tracks.
-Download codes for backers will begin starting 11/27. No restrictions on posting anything on socials from the Switch version early from backers, but Cosmo Machia (probably) has plans to upload content for the game before release. (More or less in a similar vein like Shiki 2, possibly.)
-DL codes distributed to backers, port performance varies, audio settings do not match the subtitles (SE, VOICE, and BGM), will be fixed later. The game is currently in Japanese text, other text languages will be implemented in the overseas release.
-Commemorative event in Tokyo postponed (This is/was the 5M Yen stretch goal and no, it wasn't the TGS event, which I thought it was). Rescheduled to sometime in 2024. Also had a meeting between Hiruned and an "old friend" covering some topics.
-Physical copies are ready and are going to ship soon. (Shows pics of the new cover art [for the Switch] along with reversible cover art from the original Dreamcast versions.) Also thanking the supporters who has made this campaign possible.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Game get. It has a patch on day 1, just like everything else, so I'm downloading the patch now and have not played it yet.

I played it for a while and my first impression is

"why the fuck does it take so long to connect to the leaderboards?"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Steven wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:13 am It's probably revenge for me posting that Amiga Out Run intro the other day.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I probably deserve it for reminding everyone that that abomination, as amusing as it is, exists.

Am I the only person here who got this? I don't know how to play this game at all but I'm 11th on the normal difficulty Exelica leaderboard.

I think the framerate in handheld mode might drop to the 55~57 FPS range at times, but I'm not entirely sure. It's not too bad, though, and it seems to be only in specific places. I haven't really played docked that much, but it seems fine, or at least better, there.

It also seems that playable Faintear might not be here unless you have to unlock her somehow. Looks like the PS2 version might still have some value in that case.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

@Steven
I don't have it, cause I assumed it would be launching digitally overseas on the E-shop, which hasn't happened (yet), considering Castle of Shikigami 2 is on there. And both of those are from Cosmo Machia publishing/distributing. Although, however, I still have both the (delisted) Xbox version, and the PS2 version physically.

But if its anything, it'll play just the same as it would from previous ports. Also, BTW, this is just a mixed porting of both the Dreamcast (modes) and Xbox (graphics/UI/resolution) versions into one. No PS2 specific additions are on this port, sadly. (No playable Faintear.)

Either way, continuing on the campaign posts from Makuake...
-A patch to fix the subtitles incorrectly shown on the audio settings while highlighting certain volume settings (BGM, SE, and Voice) will be out around launch date, if not later. (Chances are, it may already be out.)
-The RE:Sound Anchor OST will be shipped to supporters of the campaign eventually.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Looks like I now have to go buy the PS2 version and figure out how that progressive scan works.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Steven wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:16 am Looks like I now have to go buy the PS2 version and figure out how that progressive scan works.
Assuming you have your PS2 hooked up via component to a progressive scan compatible TV, hold X and Triangle (P1 side) during boot-up to activate progressive scan.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Well, I don't use a TV, I use a PC monitor. This game isn't listed on most of the PS2 progressive scan game lists that I have seen for some reason, so I was unsure of how the progressive scan was activated, especially if it is like Daioujou, where you have to rotate your monitor, which I can't do. Good that it uses the regular command and stuff.
TransatlanticFoe

Oh well shame it hasn't got any of the PS2 extras included, but the Dreamcast stuff is still an upgrade on the regular xbox version. CBA waiting for a worldwide release, probably won't happen, so this'll be in my next import order
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, quick updates on the campaign so far, and one intresting bit of new for overseas users (like myself, lol).

-A "Creator's Voice" section is on the official website for the Switch version with commentary by Hiruned, Kazuhiko Kakoi, Masahiro Kajihara and Akihiko Eiki. -> https://exelica.cosmomachia.co.jp/en/creator_voice/
-Some stuff here and there about Re:Sound Anchor.

Anyways, Red Art Games is bringing out Exelica overseas physically. Info on the physical release is coming soon. -> https://www.gematsu.com/2024/01/trigger ... st-in-2024

No info yet on the digital release though.