Cosmo Machia acquires Triggerheart Exelica

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Cosmo Machia acquires Triggerheart Exelica

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The Red Art page lists 3 playable characters:

https://www.redartgames.com/content/11- ... ndo-Switch

I wonder if that's a mistake or whether Faintear is going to be added to the JP version as DLC?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Something tells me that might be a mistake. Also their press release mispells Crueltear. And besides, only the PS2 version had Faintear playable. (That, and all of the voices between the Arcade/DC/X360 and PS2 versions changed between those versions.)

Doubtful if they'll even add Faintear as playable. (And if they have to record her lines for the current gen port if it actually happens. Since the basis of this port is based on the X360/DC version with the old voices.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Pre-orders for the overseas physical Switch release are now up. (Nothing yet on overseas digital though, but assumed it would be out the same time as overseas physical. Unless otherwise noted.)

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/02/trigger ... s-detailed
TransatlanticFoe

Well that saves me from importing, retail release for the standard edition too which is incredibly helpful.

Q3 release which seems a way off - maybe they are implementing Faintear later?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I’d guess a new translation over any additional content. They probably needed it to hit a certain number to make the localization worth it, but it does take about six months to do all that and get in a quality QA pass.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:15 pmQ3 release which seems a way off - maybe they are implementing Faintear later?
Well, that's more of an estimation. Also, as I've already mentioned previously, doubtful they're implementing Faintear (either as part of an update or DLC), since its more of a straight port of the DC (modes) and X360 (graphics) versions and neither of them had Faintear playable except the PS2 version. But hey, times can change, and things could be different. But I'm keeping my expectations low (unless otherwise) since character voices between both the AC/DC/X360 and PS2 versions differ slightly (especially noticeable in both the DC/Switch version's Story mode and PS2's [Extended] Story mode).
Jonpachi wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:17 am I’d guess a new translation over any additional content. They probably needed it to hit a certain number to make the localization worth it, but it does take about six months to do all that and get in a quality QA pass.
Yeah, since this would be the first time in nearly a decade and a half for the DC's Story mode to get officially translated into English and other text languages, which, yes, would take a while to do.
TransatlanticFoe

Ah, I thought the Switch JP release already had an English translation - probably getting it mixed up with the upcoming Leynos 2
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:37 am Ah, I thought the Switch JP release already had an English translation - probably getting it mixed up with the upcoming Leynos 2
My thoughts exactly, but sadly, it is not the case, even checked the JP E-Shop store page for the game too.
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

The latest message on the crowdfunding page says that they have been working on a steam version since the start of this year, and that a soundtrack release (+remixes, including the dreamcast music) is coming to steam too.

https://www.makuake.com/project/cosmoma ... l/1429901/
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

mojilove wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:41 am The latest message on the crowdfunding page says that they have been working on a steam version since the start of this year, and that a soundtrack release (+remixes, including the dreamcast music) is coming to steam too.

https://www.makuake.com/project/cosmoma ... l/1429901/
Yeah, just checked that out right now, its as good as any for a confirmation of a Steam port that'll come out eventually, considering "Cosmo Machia's" Steam library also shows Fantavision 200X and Castle of Shikigami 2, which both are available there.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thank God. I will henceforth ignore and and all news about the soytendo version and await the PC release.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

On Cosmo Machia's "CampFire" page, a mention to Triggerheart Exelica's PC/Steam version stating that it'll be "scheduled to be released in the second half of Golden Week" (Which would mean sometime in the first week of May, unless otherwise noted.) -> https://camp--fire-jp.translate.goog/pr ... en-US#main

Also, the event, that was previously mentioned, will be a "Fan Meeting" so that they'll discuss what the company is, their products and new annoucements. It was planned for 6/2/24, it is now delayed/postponed. -> https://camp--fire-jp.translate.goog/pr ... en-US#menu
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

The PC/Steam version is releasing this month.

The Steam page is now up:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2685 ... t_EXELICA/

Gematsu has some more details on this release:
https://www.gematsu.com/2024/04/trigger ... c-in-april
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Great copy!

``Trigger Heart Exelica'', a masterpiece shooting game about a mecha girl that was released as an arcade game in 2006 and was well received, has finally been reprinted on PC! !

Well of course it was well received, it's a masterpiece!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Finally! Now to wait... (Although I can just play the older ports for the time being until the PC/Steam release comes out.)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Goodbye, Switch copy. You are now useless and I will never play you again unless the PC version is completely broken. Too bad it's on Steam and not GOG, though.

This game is really cool. I'd like to learn how to play it for score someday. Also remembered that I keep forgetting to try to find the PS2 version. Someday I won't forget, but that day is not today and will probably not be this year at this rate.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Does it look like Faintear is playable in the pc version?
Steven

Post by Steven »

No
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Oh.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Oh no
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

I mean, are you guys surprised that Faintear isn't playable on a modern/current gen port that we'd all expect it to happen? (Outside of the PS2 version, that is.)

Its been brought up a couple times that the current gen port is based on the Switch version (from modes based on the Dreamcast version [Arcade/Story/Arrange/Training]), with the graphic fidelity of the X360 version, but with new menu UI, an option now for Training mode to select either Arcade or Arrange mode setting, new wallpapers, and like the X360 version, OST selection with either the original arcade and arranged (unsure if this is the X360 arranged BGM) versions. (Considering since Arrange mode has its own arranged OST.) Also to quick restart the game from stage 1.

Either way, its scheduled for release on 4/26 ($30 US, OST $10 US, will have a bundle for 10% off), with the overseas Switch port digitally on 5/2. (Physical Switch copies will most likely release later.)
Steven

Post by Steven »

I haven't seen a Japanese price for it yet anywhere, but it will probably be about the same as the Switch version. Or maybe it will be cheaper on PC because it's not unheard of for things that are on Switch and any other system to be more expensive on Switch for some reason.

Speaking of that, I still think it's interesting that this is not on PS4/PS5. Xbox I can understand because lol Xbox, as nobody in Japan knows that Xbox exists because no stores other than Amazon and probably Rakuten actually carry it, but the lack of a PS4/PS5 version is kind of odd. Oh well. Even then I'm somewhat moderately surprised that they didn't relist the 360 version, although I do remember them talking about it or why they didn't or something on Makuake or somewhere a while ago.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:02 am I haven't seen a Japanese price for it yet anywhere, but it will probably be about the same as the Switch version. Or maybe it will be cheaper on PC because it's not unheard of for things that are on Switch and any other system to be more expensive on Switch for some reason.

Speaking of that, I still think it's interesting that this is not on PS4/PS5. Xbox I can understand because lol Xbox, as nobody in Japan knows that Xbox exists because no stores other than Amazon and probably Rakuten actually carry it, but the lack of a PS4/PS5 version is kind of odd. Oh well. Even then I'm somewhat moderately surprised that they didn't relist the 360 version, although I do remember them talking about it or why they didn't or something on Makuake or somewhere a while ago.
Me too. If it was on PS4 I'd probably get it. I only have a moderate interest in the game so I'm not really upset that it isn't available somewhere I can play it, but if it were I'd have liked to try it, especially since it's a somewhat unique game that isn't really bullet hell, at least as far as I understand.
Steven

Post by Steven »

It's probably about as bullet hell-ish as V-V, but without V-V's checkpoints and with a cool and interesting scoring system that is likely unique. Survival difficulty is rather low, but its scoring system gives it enough depth for it to be fun to play for score. Killing things by throwing other things into them is also endlessly and highly satisfying.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I stil have my 360 connected (together with switch the only consoles i play) and Trigger Heart Exelica and Outrun 2 Arcade are the only 2 games i consistently play on it, as a filthy casual it's a great game i keep coming back to.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Steven wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:02 am I haven't seen a Japanese price for it yet anywhere, but it will probably be about the same as the Switch version. Or maybe it will be cheaper on PC because it's not unheard of for things that are on Switch and any other system to be more expensive on Switch for some reason.

Yeah, should have put some sources...but JP gaming news sites like "gamer" -> https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202404040032/ and "4gamer" -> https://www.4gamer.net/games/788/G078833/20240404031/ have articles on the PC/Steam version and what it contains. The prices are as follows in specific regions... JPY 3,400¥/USD $29.99/EU €28.99 for the game, JPY 1,200¥/USD $9.99/EU €9.75 for the soundtrack, and a bundle with the game and soundtrack together for 10% off.

As for why its not on PS, beats me, but it doesn't make sense since the PS2 version released back then. But Cosmo Machia's only PS title (on PS5) as of current is Fantavision 202x. As for an Xbox (X1/Series) version, I can see a native port of that happening if they want to. But yeah, considering "lol, xbox", well...Though I doubt I'd see the X360 version coming back from its delisting unless they would have to change up a few things (namely, Cosmo Machia's stuff on splash screens and copyright mentions, which I doubt isn't possible from an old X360 version that they would have the source code from, or to change thoroughly.)

Either way, start out on Easy for a bit of practice (or a casual 1CC), then work your way through Normal and then Hard, cause the difficulty ramps up from there on those two difficulties, lol. (Though there's Training mode to check out stages individually.)
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

NeoStrayCat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:17 am I mean, are you guys surprised that Faintear isn't playable on a modern/current gen port that we'd all expect it to happen? (Outside of the PS2 version, that is.)
No, I suppose not, it's just the video on the Steam page has a Faintear bit (at around 1 minute) in it is all. I'll admit to watching it without my glasses on though... :lol:

edit- just checked with my geps on and yeah, it looks like Crueltear fighting Faintear :oops:
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

NeoStrayCat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:19 pm Either way, start out on Easy for a bit of practice (or a casual 1CC), then work your way through Normal and then Hard, cause the difficulty ramps up from there on those two difficulties, lol. (Though there's Training mode to check out stages individually.)
Starting on easy is also an additional hint for those who've started with the PS2 Enhanced port since the XBLA and Switch ports are faster than the PS2. I learned that the hard way.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Steven

Post by Steven »

Just got an email from Steam saying that this is up. I forgot about it! Downloading now, impressions shortly.

edit: WTF it's 155 megabytes? That's... really fucking small!

Steam Deck works. Edit: oh fuck no it doesn't! It's stuck in slow motion at 45FPS! Not good.

Okay, it's safe on a normal PC. Steam Deck is just being stupid again because that's how the Steam Deck is. I'll see if I can get it to run properly. edit: nope, I give up. It's broken on Steam Deck. Don't buy this to play it on Steam Deck because it doesn't work properly. Regular Windows seems fine, although the menus are a bit low-resolution.

On keyboard, movement is locked to arrow keys. Yuck. Devs, why do you keep doing this? There's an entire shitload of other keys to use. No, keyboard remapping software is not an acceptable solution; that shit should be standard on EVERYTHING!

Framerate seems to fluctuate, as well. It's going back and forth between 60.5 and ~58FPS for some reason. Does it do this on the NAOMI as well? Other than that and the shit keyboard binding options, I see no problems with this PC version. The up arrow key on my keyboard is kind of messed up, but at least the game likes the awesome Mega Drive Mini controller, so I guess that is what I will use for now.

edit again: framerate goes to shit on stage 3. I think this version might be kind of fucked

One more run through stage 3 and it was fine. I don't get it, but I will let someone else figure it out. I am exhausted and it's time for me to sleep now.

Oh yeah, before I go to sleep, no playable Faintear, as expected. It's identical to the Switch version, also as expected.