Cave SH3 PCB

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
M0nk3y

Cave SH3 PCB

Post by M0nk3y »

Just wondering what the 9pin D-connector is for on the new line of Cave PCBs, please? Can't find a scan of the manuals anywhere...

SAM

Re: Cave SH3 PCB

Post by SAM »

M0nk3y wrote:Just wondering what the 9pin D-connector is for on the new line of Cave PCBs, please? Can't find a scan of the manuals anywhere...
It should output VGA. What game have you got there?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

SAM wrote:
M0nk3y wrote:Just wondering what the 9pin D-connector is for on the new line of Cave PCBs, please? Can't find a scan of the manuals anywhere...
Thats what I thought at first too, but its a 9 pin, not 15 pin. So it some kind of serial connector.
M0nk3y

Post by M0nk3y »

Well the pic of the board on System16 doesn't have that connector, so maybe it's game specific?

There's also space above it for an 8pin connector. Ethernet?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

They're probably service connectors of some kind, like for book keeping or board repair. Just a guess.
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

I have the same socket on my Cave Mushi pcb..
I want to know what the battery does. I removed it for a while but it does not reset the high scores, it does reset the real time clock/date but I dont know why it needs to keep the date and time..
Fight war not wars
elvis

Post by elvis »

9pin is usually RS232 Serial (for diagnostics, BIOS flashing, etc) or RGB/CGA (15KHz - VGA is 31KHz).
sven666

Post by sven666 »

SAM wrote:
theres hi-res output on newer cave PCBs? :shock: i had no idea.. thought they still were old 15khz.. from what game do they do this?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
zakk

Post by zakk »

sven666 wrote:
SAM wrote:
theres hi-res output on newer cave PCBs? :shock: i had no idea.. thought they still were old 15khz.. from what game do they do this?
They don't. He's wrong.
it290

Post by it290 »

I want to know what the battery does. I removed it for a while but it does not reset the high scores, it does reset the real time clock/date but I dont know why it needs to keep the date and time..
It's for bookkeeping, so the operator can see how much money the machine has been pulling in over X number of days.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
bay

Post by bay »

does anyone have a link or more information on the new cave pcbs?

from an old topic:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... t=cave+sh3

SH3 133MHz
ALTERA Cyclone
YAMAHA YMZ770C-F
Backup Battery
and Serial Port(D-sub9pin)
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Apparently the DB9 connector is used for editing the Flash memory (i.e. game program). The battery has something to do with that as well.
zakk

Post by zakk »

oxtsu wrote:Apparently the DB9 connector is used for editing the Flash memory (i.e. game program). The battery has something to do with that as well.
Yes, I was going to mention that, as there's not a single socketed chip on that board. Makes you wonder if the boards will die if left batteryless for too long.
M0nk3y

Post by M0nk3y »

Anyone know how big these are? I'm reckoning you could fit that in an empty MVS cart . Would certainly help protect it.
bay

Post by bay »

M0nk3y wrote:Anyone know how big these are? I'm reckoning you could fit that in an empty MVS cart . Would certainly help protect it.
it deifnately looks small, i wonder if anyone can measure the pcb?

edit -> actually it should be pretty simple to figure out the dimensions. the JAMMA connector is a standard size, so just make some ratios based on that length and use that picture above as a reference.

anyone on the boards own mushi, espII or ibara pcbs?

i'm still looking for more information on the boards myself.

-b