IREM Collection series

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Re: IREM Collection series

Post by hamfighterx »

Knowing SLG/Inin, it would not surprise me if the SLG release is the only English-language physical. Not that it matters a ton for these games, but yeah their whole "exclusively" doing the WW physical edition sounds like they may push for exclusive features in that version too.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

The titles in Vol 2 were announced

GunForce, GunForce 2 and Air Duel…

Three games that I love, so that’s cool.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

They're still not gonna give GunForce 2 an ending, though, are they? And I wish they had Fire Barrel, Irem's answer to Raiden...
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Where is R Type Leo? What were the hints for Vol 3, 4 and 5?
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Gonna open up some pointless speculation on which games they are gonna do for the remaining 3 volumes. With 3 games per collection (though with additional ports included), that leaves 9 more titles.

Cross-referencing Wiki's list of Irem games, these are the titles I'm assuming are most likely. All are Arcade games, though Image Fight 2 on the first one shows they can do include console exclusives as headliners. Metal Storm would be a big contender, but that just had a recent reprint alongside Holy Diver. Maybe Sqoon, or even Gekisha Boy? Doesn't seem super likely to me.
I'm not expecting any R-Type games in this either, as it seems like a series dedicated to highlighting Irem's other notable and more obscure titles. But don't hesitate to point out if I forgot any more contenders.

Moon Patrol (first big Irem hit, an arcade classic, but feels probably too primeval for the scope of this series)
Kung Fu Master (their second big hit, might fit nicely in a bundle with Vigilante and Spartan X 2)
Mr. Heli (this one seems like a no-brainer to me, given Image Fight, X-Multiply and Air Duel already covered)
Meikyuu Jima (no one ever talks about this, probably as likely as Lot Lot, but the NES version at least is popular. I love the arcade version, so sort of hoping for this one to give it more exposure)
Ninja Spirit (it's on ACA, but so is Image Fight, and this could be a good excuse to re-release the PCE version outside of the PCE Mini)
Vigilante (seems mandatory if they go with the Spartan X games, but could be outside the intended scope)
Dragon Breed (this one I'm 100% certain we'll see, there's no existing good port of it, and it fits perfectly with the other announced titles)
Legend of Hero Tonma (a great game that deserves a new port, PCE version is excellent though)
Hammerin' Harry (also massively in need of a new port - sequels can be ignored, but the NES port is worth including)
Blade Master (seems like a good excuse to get this one out, sure to be paired with Ninja Baseball Bat Man)
Gallop (does this count as an R-Type game? If so, I guess it's out)
Ken-Go (another one I'm personally hoping for. Would pair well with either Spartan X/Vigilante or Ninja Spirit)
Thunder Blaster (not familiar with this one at all, must be Irem's least discussed shooter, is it any good?)
Mystic Riders (really hoping for this as well, never played a lot of it, and always wanted to give it more of a chance)
Undercover Cops (might be unlikely due to the recent Retrobit reprint of the snes version, but I'd love a collection with both versions, a nice fit with Blade Master and Ninja Bats)
Fire Barrel (never played this, but looks fun, and seems likely)
In The Hunt (another one that seems like a no-brainer to me, one of Irem's biggest profile non R-Type games no?)
Ninja Baseball Bat Man (I think this one was already confirmed somewhere - probably a decent sales potential based on meme value alone, but the game seems decent from what I have tried)
Superior Soldiers (a fighting game by Irem? Sure)
Gussun Oyoyo (probably unlikely, but I'd love one of the collections being dedicated to Irem's excellent action puzzle games like this and Meikyuu Jima)

Finally there's Irem's two Bomberman games.
With Konami now sitting on that license, the chance is pretty much zero (though an ACA release could be possible), but Bomber Man World might straight up be my favourite Irem game, and IMO the best singleplayer Bomberman game. Really hoping for a port of that game some time, people need to know about it!
Actually, know what would be really cool? A compilation of both games, but with the first game fixed with the mechanical improvements made to the second one that makes it actually not unplayable! This will never happen, but one can dream. Maybe I should make a hack and just patch my own PCB. :3
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Either way here's my guess for the remaining volumes:

Blade Master - Undercover Cops - Ninja Baseball Batman
Mr. Heli - Dragon Breed - Mystic Riders
Ninja Spirit - In The Hunt - Tonma

Yeah, they definitely need a lot more volumes than just five. Or just put ten games in a collection already.
kayakoyaka

Post by kayakoyaka »

What's going on with R-Type Delta? Still no legal way to buy?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't think buying R-Type Delta ever became fully criminalized
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

If its three per release, I want Gallop/Thunder Blaster/R-Type Leo
Then shut it down
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

kayakoyaka wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:14 pm What's going on with R-Type Delta? Still no legal way to buy?
You have to be diligent regarding buying digital games before they get delisted. I've lost many opportunities to grab digital versions of games in the past (recently too).

Its been about a decade since a lot of these Irem games (including R-Type Delta) got delisted and I fortunately saw the news about that happening before they did and grabbed them up. Other than that, you're stuck with getting fleeced on Ebay with a physical copy.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!

(not from Delta but I love that Irem bootup screen)
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Sumez wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:19 pm Either way here's my guess for the remaining volumes:

Blade Master - Undercover Cops - Ninja Baseball Batman
Mr. Heli - Dragon Breed - Mystic Riders
Ninja Spirit - In The Hunt - Tonma

Yeah, they definitely need a lot more volumes than just five. Or just put ten games in a collection already.
Looking at the hints SLG provided earlier...

Volume 1 of the irem Collection includes Image Fight, Image Fight II and X Multiply.
Timing: Pre Order Start 30th of April 2023; Release Q4 2023.

Games included in the Volume 2 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.
First hint: Arcade SHMUP action!
Timing: Pre Order Start July 2023. Release Q1 2024.

Games included in the Volume 3 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.
First hint: Get ready to fight!
Timing: Pre Order Start October 2023. Release Q2 2024.

Games included in the Volume 4 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.
First hint: Further Arcade SHMUP adventures!
Timing: Pre Order Start January 2024. Release Q3 2024.

Games included in the Volume 5 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.
First hint: Platform fun!
Timing: Pre Order Start April 2024. Release Q4 2024.
I wouldn't have called Vol. 2 "Arcade SHMUP action" with all that runnin' 'n gunning, but eh.

Your guesses are pretty solid, though for Vol.5 with the hint "Platform fun!" I'd replace In The Hunt with Hammerin' Harry. I'd love to see Ken-Go in there, but with Hammerin' Harry there's NES and Game Boy versions they could include, if they want to "give more value" or some such.

I hope against hope they'd squeeze in R-Type Leo somewhere in there, but it kinda does seem unlikely...
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jeneki wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:26 pm(not from Delta but I love that Irem bootup screen)
"INVOLVED IN A CRIME" always gets me Image Sounds so happenin' :cool:

*vinyl scratch* *orchestra* "After doing his chores, Little Timmy went to the video arcade to enjoy the latest and greatest IREM hits, only to find himself... *JAZZ CABBAGE PUFF* INVOLVED IN A CRIME!"

Ah man. I wish I could be as whimsical about the quality of these sets! :o I hope they don't shit the bed. The last three times or so (SNK Anniversary, Capcom Arcade Stadium, Psikyo Cheese Whatsits) I tried a "Whoaaa! Lookit all these [company] hits!" package, it went rather sub-optimally! I've no experience with Tozai, but I hear they were founded by ex-IREM staff? I've some hope they're not a bunch of fly-by-night shitbirds ala Digital Eclipse, or whoever decided a MAME-based arcade compilation wasn't complete without a gross RE Engine 3D wrapper.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I don't think Tozai is involved in this beyond IP licensing. I expect Ratalaika developments and subpar results, specially for M72 games.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh. I'll see myself out then (◎w◎;)

I still believe in the KISEKI の HAMSTER, and that Kaitei Daisensou will not remain the only M92 release forever (;`w´;)

The way of the home port beggar is terribly harsh, but there is happiness sometimes (`w´メ)
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

That only comes from Japan though, doesn't it?
BIL

Post by BIL »

True (`w´メ) Nihon Ichiban since 197X Image Image

Outnumbered by shitbirds from within and without the motherland - Brave men of Hamster and M2 fight on Image
jehu

Post by jehu »

An answer from 'SLG Dave' on Discord about the port quality. He co-operates Strictly Limited, and is the real deal etc.

"For the emulation side of things, it's pretty straight up what to expect from SLG. Cannon Dancer, Turrican, etc.

The collections will include save states, rewind, shaders & filters... but I, as of right now, don't know whether there'll be online leaderboards included.

Of course, the SLG armada of super-hackermans are always trying to eliminate any input lag to the best of their ability AND ideally reduce it to zero."

I thought of just summarizing the message, but here it is verbatim. Interesting to read into what is and is not communicated clearly.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Yeah it's bad enough when stuff is purely in a reply to a social media thread, but locked up in a Discord somewhere? If this stuff is known, slap an FAQ page together or something.

Oh wait now the info is just sat in a niche forum and will be buried in a few posts :lol:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hopefully shit like this will finally return to company websites now that Twitter apparently requires an account to read.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

jehu wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:09 am An answer from 'SLG Dave' on Discord about the port quality. He co-operates Strictly Limited, and is the real deal etc.

"For the emulation side of things, it's pretty straight up what to expect from SLG. Cannon Dancer, Turrican, etc.

The collections will include save states, rewind, shaders & filters... but I, as of right now, don't know whether there'll be online leaderboards included.

Of course, the SLG armada of super-hackermans are always trying to eliminate any input lag to the best of their ability AND ideally reduce it to zero."

I thought of just summarizing the message, but here it is verbatim. Interesting to read into what is and is not communicated clearly.
Thanks for finding that out. I have many of SLG's releases, including those emulation compilations like Cannon Dancer and Turrican, and I don't think any of them have issues with lag and such. If that's the level of quality we can expect from these, that's pretty good.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

jehu wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:09 amI thought of just summarizing the message, but here it is verbatim.
Much appreciated! Everyone I know who uses Discord gets their dickpics stolen, and subsequently posted. Often by me!

Here's hoping. Nobody expects 0f added latency. ~2f is typically fine, even for STGs, which trade on pinpoint-precise 8-way movement and 1HKOs. It's more than sufficient for action/platformers and run/guns etc, ala Geostorm, whose presence is the only reason I'm ITT.

Directorial intent helps a lot, too! Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 (PS4) apparently has 3f, and that one mostly burns my ass for the sheer needlessness of its goober 3D elements, which entirely cleverer chaps than myself blame for its licensed MAME playing worse than free. Unnoticeable in Daimakaimura; a perennial "WolfMAME99 on my WinXP rig from ghettoROMZ.com (feat Salvation Army USB pad and cum-blasted GR8OFFICEDEALS.com LCD!) handles sharper than this" dampener, in 1941: PEARL HARBOUR KATAKIUCHI, and my beloved Gun.Smoke!

On a decent gaming display + controller, it's playable. Iota of muscle memo for the really tight shit, maybe. I ain't even mad. For all I know, the poor CapCunts involved were told by head office that they'd be eating out of a dumpster by Friday, if they didn't jam in all that cringemaking "look ma, muh virtual arcade" shite. 3;

This ain't a fuckin charity. Image It's a long saga of war, and man's perpetual fight not to resign himself to ghettoROMZ.com Image
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Will be fun to give GunForce a run again. I had the PCB back when and managed a 1CC (back in 2011 holy what where did the time go), but never got into the sequel. What little I've played of it, my attention was mostly grabbed by how silly and ragdoll-ish the dual-wielding looks.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

GeoStorm is Metal Slug 0 in every sense, which is both high praise and moderate caveat. :lol: Solid simpler chassis; cataclymiscally spectacular production. That st1 midboss who Izuna Drops a rocket out of his own doomed heli in a suicide attack is my favourite videogame character. :cool: It's alright to be a simpler game when you look this cool.

Most Unfortunate Sniper Award :shock:
Spoiler

Gives all of one reserve life with no extends, making the Slugs seem generous by comparison with their giving a whole two extra lives and no extends. :mrgreen:
Last edited by BIL on Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

jehu wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:09 am The collections will include save states, rewind, shaders & filters... but I, as of right now, don't know whether there'll be online leaderboards included.
Oh so it'll have rewind, what a relief :3
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Ghegs wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:35 am I have many of SLG's releases, including those emulation compilations like Cannon Dancer and Turrican, and I don't think any of them have issues with lag and such. If that's the level of quality we can expect from these, that's pretty good.
Not everyone was happy with the Cannon Dancer port, though. It's not only emulation quality that matters (which even if it's fine enough, just being Mame-based is something we should always complain about, and hardly a company like Ratalaika is using their own emulators), it's how they understand the games need some kind of alteration for today's audience while not really caring about old-school fans.
kayakoyaka

Post by kayakoyaka »

pablumatic wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:22 pm
kayakoyaka wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:14 pm What's going on with R-Type Delta? Still no legal way to buy?
You have to be diligent regarding buying digital games before they get delisted. I've lost many opportunities to grab digital versions of games in the past (recently too).

Its been about a decade since a lot of these Irem games (including R-Type Delta) got delisted and I fortunately saw the news about that happening before they did and grabbed them up. Other than that, you're stuck with getting fleeced on Ebay with a physical copy.
Yeah I hear you. I actually have PS1 copy of Delta, but it'd be nice to have access to it from modern consoles. Just wondering why they're willing to put out multiple versions of Dimensions while Delta remains delisted.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Another message just appeared from SLG Dave that I - your faithful Discord lurker - shall transmit, again verbatim, from obscure messaging channel to obscure STG forum:

"Leaderboards will be a thing for vol 1, and hopefully for vol.2"

I would have assumed complete uniformity in features across all five volumes, so the 'hopefully' is a little confusing. But I am just the messenger, so what do I know.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

kayakoyaka wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:10 pm Yeah I hear you. I actually have PS1 copy of Delta, but it'd be nice to have access to it from modern consoles. Just wondering why they're willing to put out multiple versions of Dimensions while Delta remains delisted.
It seems like whatever is left of Irem is similar to what became of Cave. Games just get randomly licensed now and when old games lose a digital shop/gets delisted that's it until some other company decides to license it back out again.

The only glimmer of hope for stuff like this may be that yet to actually launch "Console Archives" from Hamster that was briefly reported on from late 2021.
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

jehu wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:09 am An answer from 'SLG Dave' on Discord about the port quality. He co-operates Strictly Limited, and is the real deal etc.

huh, SLG has a discord? News to me; definitely would love to ask them why Jajamaru collection has gone unfixed for 6 months (with PS4 trophy bugs and Switch sound emulation errors). Seems Ratalaika's ports are generally a lot better when they self-publish something, while ININ published ports always have some sort of bug or gripe about them... Bubble Bobble was the closest ININ/Ratalaika port that felt flawless in a while, except you can't save state for some reason! Glad the IREM stuff will have states/the usual features at least.