IREM Collection series

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ghegs

IREM Collection series

Post by Ghegs »

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/04/irem-co ... and-switch

https://www.iningames.com/games/irem-collection-vol-1/

Five-volume collection, first one being Image Fight, Image Fight II: Operation Deepstriker, and X-Multiply.

Hell yeah.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
xxx1993

Re: IREM Collection series

Post by xxx1993 »

Oh good, I hope we can get a translation of Image Fight II at this rate.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Never played any of these. Who's handling these ports?
SPM

Post by SPM »

Weird selection to start with since Image Fight and X-Multiply are already in Arcade Archives, but I hope Leo (and Delta? probably not) comes in one of these ^^
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Gamer707b wrote:Never played any of these. Who's handling these ports?
The article names Tozai, ININ and Irem, and out of those I think it's safe to assume Tozai are the developer. They did a great job on R-Type Dimensions and EX, although IIRC they used the World versions of the roms exclusively, or did so for RT2. Hopefully they'll use the originals or offer region switching here.

While two thirds of the first pack are already represented on ACA, for me it'll be worth picking up purely for the novelty of having another solid PCE CD port on consoles. (I have a Mister and an SSDS3, but still!)

Edit: nice that they're including the PCE and NES versions of Image Fight, too!
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Klatrymadon wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:Never played any of these. Who's handling these ports?
The article names Tozai, ININ and Irem, and out of those I think it's safe to assume Tozai are the developer. They did a great job on R-Type Dimensions and EX, although IIRC they used the World versions of the roms exclusively. Hopefully they'll use the originals or offer region switching here.

While two thirds of the first pack are already represented on ACA, for me it'll be worth picking up purely for the novelty of having another solid PCE CD port on consoles. (I have a Mister and an SSDS3, but still!)
Sounds promising. Thanks for the info.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Can't wait to not get Leo again. Consider this my official challenge to whoever is making this to get Leo in one of the future releases, along with Gallop.

Speaking of not getting things, is there no Japanese version of this? I am almost certainly going to pass on this because

1. no PC version
2. if I have to play on a modern console, ACA exists
3. I can play Image Fight II on my SuperGrafx. Yay, no emulation required.
4. bad exchange rate and apparently no Japanese version announced as of yet

Now if this somehow turns out better than ACA and got released in Japan, or if it got released on PC where ACA is limited to Neo Geo games for some odd reason, I'd consider it, but since ACA is as good and as cheap as it is...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The sentence about the NES and PCE version is awkwardly worded since the NES version did come to the US, unless they mean that it's the FC version included, which has some differences (mostly cosmetic AFAIK).
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Sounds good. I just hope they're committed to making all five volumes.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Ghegs wrote:https://www.gematsu.com/2023/04/irem-co ... and-switch

https://www.iningames.com/games/irem-collection-vol-1/

Five-volume collection, first one being Image Fight, Image Fight II: Operation Deepstriker, and X-Multiply.

Hell yeah.
Hell yeah indeed. Despite already having the excellent Hamster versions of Image Fight and X-Multiply, getting the chance to play Image Fight II along with the other two ports does it for me. The bigger news is there looks to be five volumes of IREM games and as others have said, I salivate at the change for a R-Type Leo release. With these releases and the occasional Hamster Irem game release, one can see a potential future when maybe all Irem shooters are available on modern systems. One can dream anyway.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

This is awesome.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

X-Multiply is great fucking game. Criminally over looked, but one of the GOATs, in my opinion.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

X-Multiply has an interesting premise. It kinda reminds me of Fantastic Voyage and Aliens.
jehu

Post by jehu »

xxx1993 wrote:X-Multiply has an interesting premise. It kinda reminds me of Fantastic Voyage and Aliens.
You mean The Magic School Bus and Osmosis Jones, I presume.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yes, X-Multiply is a super awesome game. Of course, it's Irem, so that's basically expected~
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

I assume this won't just cover shmups? I suspect we'll see a Gunforce collection, but I'm secretly hoping for Irem Skins Game :)
Last edited by Martinov on Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

jehu wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:X-Multiply has an interesting premise. It kinda reminds me of Fantastic Voyage and Aliens.
You mean The Magic School Bus and Osmosis Jones, I presume.
Oh, that.
miwa

Post by miwa »

I'm really hoping for a beat 'em up collection including Undercover Cops, Ninja Baseball Bat Man and Hook at some point.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Rtype Leo please x 1000000000000
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Five volumes of three games each will leave a lot of holes. I'll hold off on getting excited about [insert game] here.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Hopefully we will finally get a console r type leo Release.
When will vol 1 be up for preorder?
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
consoleretro

Post by consoleretro »

hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Strictly Limited already has listings for bundles of all five collection entries.

A couple particularly interesting notes below, copied directly from SLG's listings. First volume expected to release in Winter 2023, final volume expected to be released in Autumn 2024. Vol.2 is already confirmed to be another shooter-focused volume.
Please note: This is a pre-order. Since this Collection bundle will include five volumes we expect to ship it with the release of volume 5, autumn 2024. You will receive order updates as soon as we receive the games and start shipping.
COLLECTOR'S EDITION VOLUME 1-5

Collector's Edition of irem Collection Vol.1
Volume 1 of the irem Collection includes Image Fight, Image Fight II and X Multiply.
Further information can be found here.

Collector's Edition of irem Collection Vol.2
Games included in the Volume 2 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.
First hint: Arcade SHMUP action!

Collector's Edition of irem Collection Vol.3
Games included in the Volume 3 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.

Collector's Edition of irem Collection Vol.4
Games included in the Volume 4 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.

Collector's Edition of irem Collection Vol.5
Games included in the Volume 5 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.
Specific to Vol.1:
Please note: This is a pre-order. We expect this game to ship winter 2023.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

LE:

https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/co ... ndo-switch

I like it. Some great artwork from this period, so the book is an attractive bonus. I hope they do an Image Fight II mini box instead of two flavours of the first game like they have in the mockup here.
kayagayasati

Post by kayagayasati »

Is this Strictly Limited Games only, or will it be available to North American buyers through ININ? I know ININ has been offering stripped down versions of SLG releases. I can never tell if I should pick it up through SLG or wait for it to be released to North America.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

hamfighterx wrote:Strictly Limited already has listings for bundles of all five collection entries.

A couple particularly interesting notes below, copied directly from SLG's listings. First volume expected to release in Winter 2023, final volume expected to be released in Autumn 2024. Vol.2 is already confirmed to be another shooter-focused volume.
These SLG people lie so bad. My only question is are they still deluding and lying to themselves after never meeting a shipping estimate in all their years of business? Or are they blatantly lying to their customers in order to con them into prepaying and funding projects which aren't anywhere near production?

They estimate an 8 month lead time to ship volume 1 (which we can be sure they won't achieve)
But then they have the gall to suggest that they will ship the next 4 volumes in the following 8-9 months?! Particularly when those other volumes aren't even off the drawing board yet?
As if they are going to be able to achieve shipping a new volume every 2 months after the first volume?
Does anybody believe this shit anymore. I'll eat my socks if volume 5 ships before 2025.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I'd expect the arcade games from this series to turn up on Evercade, given there's already been one collection on that. And vice versa, you'd expect at least In the Hunt, Mr. Heli and R-Type to be amongst these 5 volumes. I guess they're going straight for the collectors by opening pre-orders without announcing the full list of games, and will probably drip-feed the pre-orders for 2-5 over the next 12 months.

Do we know who's actually handling these ports? That'll probably determine whether a) they're any good b) they get released on time.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

kayagayasati wrote:Is this Strictly Limited Games only, or will it be available to North American buyers through ININ? I know ININ has been offering stripped down versions of SLG releases. I can never tell if I should pick it up through SLG or wait for it to be released to North America.
They're the same company. We might get some of the games in the US or all - they've done it both ways in the past.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Any news on a Japanese physical release?
Still boycotting SLG for numerous reasons.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Koa Zo wrote:These SLG people lie so bad. My only question is are they still deluding and lying to themselves after never meeting a shipping estimate in all their years of business? Or are they blatantly lying to their customers in order to con them into prepaying and funding projects which aren't anywhere near production?
Eh, they've been a LOT better recently (like, 2022 to present) about shipping pretty close to estimated times. No issues with my relatively recent orders of Drainus, Cannon Dancer, Breakers Collection, or Wonder Boy Collection. I think some of these may have shipped a month or so after the initial estimates, but it wasn't some insanely long delay. Shipping was definitely rockier in earlier times. Darius Cozmic Collection was a mess, for example.

My bigger issue with Inin/Strictly Limited is the bizarre ways in which they chop up games in collections to make different retail, download, and "limited" version packages. Barf.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:I'd expect the arcade games from this series to turn up on Evercade, given there's already been one collection on that. And vice versa, you'd expect at least In the Hunt, Mr. Heli and R-Type to be amongst these 5 volumes.
Strictly Limited has now added hints for all of Volumes 2-5. Total of three shooter volumes, one platformer, and one fighting (which I assume means side scrolling beat-em-ups). Looks like they're targeting one release per Quarter, starting Q4 2023 and ending Q4 2024.
Volume 1 of the irem Collection includes Image Fight, Image Fight II and X Multiply.
Timing: Pre Order Start 30th of April 2023; Release Q4 2023.

Games included in the Volume 2 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.
First hint: Arcade SHMUP action!
Timing: Pre Order Start July 2023. Release Q1 2024.

Games included in the Volume 3 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.
First hint: Get ready to fight!
Timing: Pre Order Start October 2023. Release Q2 2024.

Games included in the Volume 4 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.
First hint: Further Arcade SHMUP adventures!
Timing: Pre Order Start January 2024. Release Q3 2024.

Games included in the Volume 5 of the irem Collection are still to be confirmed.
First hint: Platform fun!
Timing: Pre Order Start April 2024. Release Q4 2024.