We are the champions! The 2.5DWPMDFR sports thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Randorama

We are the champions! The 2.5DWPMDFR sports thread

Post by Randorama »

It seems like we spent quite a few decades without having a thread dedicated to sports games that have 2D graphics, Wacky Physics Mechanics, Definitely Fictional Rules (shortened into "2DWPMDFR", obviously).

You may ask:

"What kind games of games are those?"

And my answer would be:

Anything that is 2D (or maybe polygon-based but with a 2D perspective), often 20th century arcade or old console, features balls or other objects moving in wacky ways, and does not exactly stick to the official rulebooks of the discipline the game attempts to simulate. The less realistic, 2D-ish and old-ish, the better.

Some examples:

I grew up having loads of fun playing brilliant classics such as Taito's Kick'n Run, but never developed a burning passion for Association Football (...by Italian standards, anyway). Baseball? no clue about the basics, but Baseball Stars 1 & 2 on the Neo-Geo were glorious stuff. I remember pestering a friend of mine who had this savagely fun Hockey game on FC. The first Kunio-kun dodgeball game drove me nuts because of its difficulty and addictiveness; I am pretty sure that I played some of the Kunio-kun FC sport titles and adored them to bits.

So, this thread is for this kind of games: no pure 3D stuff, though I think that the Virtua games are borderline OK (e.g. Virtua Tennis). No accurate physics for crosses, passes and lobs, but see the previous comment on borderline cases. If players can do silly stuff, then the games are welcome (hey, Taito's Hat Trick Hero series has super-shots and a punch button!).

In doubt, if it has that arcade/FC feeling and it is thus a Videogame rather than a simulation of some sport to sell console units to the masses, it is probably in :wink: I won't be in too often "during the semester", but hopefully the thread will thrive independently.

See you on the field, champion :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
sunnshiner

Re: We are the champions! The 2.5DWPMDFR sports thread

Post by sunnshiner »

Would Sega Soccer Slam be allowed here? Borderline case maybe- it's 3D but it's definitely not football as we know it, Jim (ie it's actually fun to play!) I usually shy away from sports games because, well, ugh, sports and TMFB* but arcadey ones are quite good fun. I'm enjoying the 2K2 series on Dreamcast at the minute too, but I get that they might be too 'serious' for this thread. There's definitely a cut off for me for sports games (games in general, to be honest) that have a fun element to them rather than just feeling like working at a job I hate (and am shit at) and I think it's around the 6th gen. Seems that as DVDs and downloads became the norm games just became bloated with filler marketed as 'depth'.

* Too Many Fucking Buttons. Guaranteed to put me off any game, no matter how good it's supposed to be. I just can not be arsed to learn that shit.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I never played the game but from the videos it's a perfect match for the thread: Sega wackiness at its finest, and real-life physics seem gloriously ignored. Thanks for bringing this one up: it might be 3D-ish, but it seems to be the type of game we can include by being flexible enough with the "visuals". Also yes: 3 buttons tops for me too (4 for Neo-Geo games, OK), and if a 1-CC is possible, it's even better. We want to be world champions by playing 2-minutes matches, I guess :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

Tecmo Superbowl for the famicom was the one sports game I really loved.

At some point I want to get into Sensible world of soccer.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I just want another I.S.S. game. That, and WWF No Mercy on N64 was myself and my friends' multiplayer session every Friday before we went out for a good year or two.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Marc wrote:I just want another I.S.S. game. That, and WWF No Mercy on N64 was myself and my friends' multiplayer session every Friday before we went out for a good year or two.
One of the best new year's days I've ever had was back in 1990-something. There was a load of us, all hungover, just sat there playing ISS on PS1 with each of us taking turns to walk out for McD's or Burger King when we got hungry. A couple of our friends just lived on our sofas for a couple of days after, we were all like, er, Stu, Ste, are you going home ever? :lol: