rygar high jinks

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
pcb_revival

rygar high jinks

Post by pcb_revival »

So I was playing around with arcade rygar and discovered its possible to glitch the background plain with graphics from the other rounds.

Things can get real messy.

To achieve such mayhem you have to move the player to the start of a level and let the player die then move left again on restart keep doing this for ten lives then the screen will scroll one screen length.

You can keep doing this over and over to desync the foreground and background layers.

The glitch will remain as long as you keep continuing the game.

Switch version shown here but did the same with wii vc arcade and MiSTer.
emphatic

Re: rygar high jinks

Post by emphatic »

lol. I've seen some weird stuff in this game before, especially when people are speed running it, but this takes the cake.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

A couple more points that only recently registered with me are Gemini Wing Round 2 is basically the background from Rygar Round 1. Forests and streams and where the crater right at the start of Rygar is the two headed boss hideout.

Also as is known Gemini Wing Round 1 music is a riff on Sega Space Harrier but a friend mentioned that when the legendary warrior dies it sounds very similar to the death cry in Harrier.
BIL

Post by BIL »

re: Tecmo AC BGM - I've a pet theory that, just like he famously covered Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" for Ninja Gaiden's st2 boss theme (and less famously, but just as awesomely, covered Anthem's "Bound To Break" for the stage 1 BGM), Metal Yuhki also tossed in a nod to Sab's "E5150" in Gemini Wing's st2 outro ambience. :cool:

Random weird thing spotted in my Argus no Senshi (ACA/PS4) travels: A "?" block gets whipped into a Cross, then duplicates a bit further ahead as a bomb, before shyly sneaking offscreen. Or maybe whipping that item box before immediately scrolling onward set up the bomb? Cute either way. :mrgreen:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Nice, BIL. Subscribed and will be watching your run laterz.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cheers bud! I always knew AC Rygar must be special, ever since seeing your posts on it here. Was the second ACA title I picked up when I finally got a PS4 for Natsume's revival, after Saigo no Nindou. Instantly joined IREM's game and Daimakaimura as my sidescrolling action triple crown. As a lifelong fan of NES/FC sidescrollers, it plays like a turbo-charged dream: same super-comfy sprite/screen ratio, same pinpoint-precise run/jump/kill... now with biblical rushing hordes, screen-raking firepower, and zero slowdown or flicker. I always liked the FC's easy-going ARPG sequel, but wished they'd put its tight mechanics to work in a traditional action/platformer - this was that times infinity.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:re: Tecmo AC BGM - I've a pet theory that, just like he famously covered Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" for Ninja Gaiden's st2 boss theme (and less famously, but just as awesomely, covered Anthem's "Bound To Break" for the stage 1 BGM), Metal Yuhki also tossed in a nod to Sab's "E5150" in Gemini Wing's st2 outro ambience. :cool:
Don't forget the stage 2 AC NG BGM "Pat", that's based on Michael Jackson's "Bad".
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ha, didn't even know about that one! Metal Yuhki, what a talented rascal.