M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Starfighter

Re: M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou

Post by Starfighter »

I've never played the black label but I sure would like to! I only have the PS2 port and from what I remember it utterly destroyed me (it was one of the first shmups I bought getting into the genre), so when I heard there's a version that's slightly easier I wanted it so bad. :D
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Maybe they'll put X-Mode on it! Haha, ha. (No they won't.)
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Starfighter wrote:I've never played the black label but I sure would like to! I only have the PS2 port and from what I remember it utterly destroyed me (it was one of the first shmups I bought getting into the genre), so when I heard there's a version that's slightly easier I wanted it so bad. :D
1) It seems like a given that M2 will include a "Super Easy" mode and good training options. They've done Super Easy modes with every ShotTriggers/Toaplan release so far (or equivalent options for Aleste Collection), including all three of their prior Cave releases, so that feels pretty much guaranteed for DOJ too.

2) Black Label feels like a logical inclusion too, but you never know... I do find it notable that the reveal did not include any specific mention of BL, so that will cause some doubt until we see official M2 confirmation one way or the other.

3) Beyond those two, another alternate arrange/"label" variant would be awesome. Maybe somewhat wishful thinking, but it sure would be a compelling draw!
davyK

Post by davyK »

If it gets the Black Label mode and a practice mode I'd go for physical. Otherwise I'll stick with the PS2 version.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

hamfighterx wrote:
Starfighter wrote:I've never played the black label but I sure would like to! I only have the PS2 port and from what I remember it utterly destroyed me (it was one of the first shmups I bought getting into the genre), so when I heard there's a version that's slightly easier I wanted it so bad. :D
1) It seems like a given that M2 will include a "Super Easy" mode and good training options. They've done Super Easy modes with every ShotTriggers/Toaplan release so far (or equivalent options for Aleste Collection), including all three of their prior Cave releases, so that feels pretty much guaranteed for DOJ too.
The reveal video included footage of Super Easy mode.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

WHAT IF they went with the full "garage" collection (all home ports included) like they did with the Toaplan stuff? Then we'd be looking at:

Arcade: White Label
Arcade: Black Label
Arcade: Super Easy (Black Label as base?)
PS2: Arcade Mode
PS2: Death Label Mode
Xbox 360: Black Label
Xbox 360: X-Mode
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Wouldn't that drive up the price to something almost... hard to sell? Well, I don't know anything about game development but I imagine they put a lot of time and effort into every version that's included, and if they do it all surely it'd have to be reflected in the price tag?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Jonpachi wrote:WHAT IF they went with the full "garage" collection (all home ports included) like they did with the Toaplan stuff? Then we'd be looking at:

Arcade: Super Easy (Black Label as base?)
PS2: Arcade Mode
PS2: Death Label Mode
Xbox 360: Black Label
Xbox 360: X-Mode
This is 100% what I expect from this, and I will be somewhat disappointed if this is not exactly what we get from this release.

Edit: or not, actually; I should learn to read my own native language better, I think; just the arcade versions, the arranged mode from 360, and Death Label are what I am hoping for, not the actual PS2 and 360 versions.

We already know Super Easy mode is there, but it didn't say what version of the game it is. Watch M2 give us Super Easy everything, including Super Easy Death Label! It would kind of defeat the whole point of Death Label, but it would still be interesting to see.
Last edited by Steven on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

I highly doubt Cave / M2 would want to have anything to do with the trainwreck the 360 version was, also the ports are bad and X-Mode is forgettable. The arranged soundtrack is the only redeemable quality of this. I hope they include it but I think 5pb owns the rights.
Adding PS2 WL doesn't make sense because it's virtually identical to the arcade version. They could include its arranged soundtrack which is good but not as remarkable as the 360 one.
For completion sake and historical purpose they might include DDP3 or Tamashii but none of them are as good as WL/BL. DDP3 is just an unfinished BL and Tamashii is a worse WL.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

And the PS2 game/Death Label is Arika's. Mihara seems to be happy these days helping other companies, but really, I find it way more plausible that, along of course with Black Label, a brand new Label is being made in collaboration with Ikeda, as it seems he's taking an active part in this fothcoming port. The game's final title is still undecided, besides.
Acid_Rain

Post by Acid_Rain »

Was there any info on the release date?

PS: Back from a 10 years slumber…
Steven

Post by Steven »

Some time this year.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I don't see them putting PS2 or 360 ports in here. And they haven't included console versions in any previous ShotTriggers "core" release (i.e., not Toaplan Arcade Garage), for the handful that did have ports:
- Battle Garegga had no Saturn port included
- Ketsui had no 360/PS3 version included, nor the DS variant or any mobile ports
- Even the console-based Aleste Collection focused only on the Sega 8-bit console versions, and excluded MSX versions (tbh, leaves the door open for a killer future Aleste Collection 2 with the MSX Aleste 1/2/Gaiden, MUSHA Aleste, Robo/Denin Aleste, Super Aleste/Space Megaforce)
- And then the rest never had home ports before ShotTriggers (Dangun Feveron, Mahou Daisakusen, Esp Ra.De)

And the Toaplan game ports that were included were a heck of a lot easier to emulate. NES, PCE, and Mega Drive games as compared to a PS2 port.

For Daioujou, I'm thinking something more along the lines of:
Arcade: Super Easy
Maaaaaybe one additional arrange mode?

Aside from that, expecting:
- Extensive Arcade Challenge/Training modes - think the same kind of quality we saw with Ketsui and Esp Ra.De.
- Multiple arrange soundtracks - I'll honestly be a little surprised if we don't get a Daisuke Matsumoto remix, probably alongside another AST.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

hamfighterx wrote: - And then the rest never had home ports before ShotTriggers (Mahou Daisakusen)
No console ports, but Mahou Daisakusen did have ports to the X68000 and FM Towns computers.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Oh yeah, forgot all about those versions - good reminder! So I guess that's another example of M2 choosing not to include other ports with a ShotTriggers release of an arcade game.
Steven

Re: M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

Post by Steven »

This has a title now: 怒首領蜂大往生 臨廻転生
DoDonPachi Daioujou Rinne Tensei

Black Label is included. No word on Death Label or anything else as of right now.
miwa

Post by miwa »

Steven wrote:This has a title now: 怒首領蜂大往生 臨廻転生

Black Label is included. No word on Death Label or anything else as of right now.
Did they mention a release date?
Steven

Post by Steven »

miwa wrote:
Steven wrote:This has a title now: 怒首領蜂大往生 臨廻転生

Did they mention a release date?
This year. That's it.

Oh yeah, and while it's not really related to this release, Horii said on the stream that he's seriously thinking about doing M2 ShotTriggers Espgaluda and DoDonPachi II. Yes, DDP II AKA Bee Storm. He feels that it is worth playing/preserving, so he's seriously thinking about doing that on ShotTriggers. I played it a few months ago at the arcade and I thought it's like a relatively amateur ROM hack or maybe even a bootleg, but I think it's still an interesting game just for how weird it is.
Last edited by Steven on Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Is Switch also getting this?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Unknown as of now. Only known system for now is PS4 since they showed PS4 footage on the stream a few months ago.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Steven wrote:Oh yeah, and while it's not really related to this release, Horii said on the stream that he's seriously thinking about doing M2 ShotTriggers Espgaluda and DoDonPachi II.
I guess that makes sense bc they've spent time perfecting PGM emulation between Ketsui and now DDP. Even though those game choices don't sound ideal. I imagine it would cost them less to finish out the PGM Cave stuff than to jump over to porting from different hardware.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:I guess that makes sense bc they've spent time perfecting PGM emulation between Ketsui and now DDP. Even though those game choices don't sound ideal. I imagine it would cost them less to finish out the PGM Cave stuff than to jump over to porting from different hardware.
Good point, hadn't considered that. :o

I'm lukewarm on Galuda only due to Arika's beautiful PS2 port, but my attitude to these things is always "newer platform, same/better quality = good." I'd happily pick up a ShotTriggers Galuda. No opinion on DDP2, ain't even played it. However, it would be a superb excuse for a DP/DDP/DDP2 set. :cool:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I wonder if they even know half the music in DDP2 is stolen. That would all need to be replaced. I doubt it's happening.
BIL

Post by BIL »

They should adopt Dr. Biruford's Universal Solution For Bad Game Music: just loop this Image
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

galuda 1 has a great PS2 port, but honestly, they're running out of CAVE stuff that could use a modern port. still not sure why they picked DOJ over DDP either, given DOJ's two (not perfect but better than DDP's situation) ports. progear is probably never happening, so what's left? just donpachi and ibara?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

pulsemod wrote:galuda 1 has a great PS2 port, but honestly, they're running out of CAVE stuff that could use a modern port. still not sure why they picked DOJ over DDP either, given DOJ's two (not perfect but better than DDP's situation) ports. progear is probably never happening, so what's left? just donpachi and ibara?
We need a fresh port of SDOJ given the laggy 360 version.

Then we can move on to M2 SnowTriggers and work on a proper Steep Slope Sliders HD Remaster.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Steven

Post by Steven »

pulsemod wrote:still not sure why they picked DOJ over DDP either
CAVE specifically asked them to for some reason. IKD talked about it on the stream when they announced it. Think it was at least partially because of the game's 20th anniversary, but I'd have to go watch it again.
Udderdude wrote:I wonder if they even know half the music in DDP2 is stolen. That would all need to be replaced. I doubt it's happening.
I think Namiki did new music for Astro City Mini V's Batrider and P-47 Aces Kai, so it's possible.
Dazzymank

Post by Dazzymank »

Loved it on 360 and ps2 but now gone so glad i can play it again same with BL. i sold the 360 version for a lot but the ps2 wad better.

great time for shmups
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I heard about that new Namiki track for Batrider, but I'm curious what the offending track was and why. Anyone know how the new track compares to the OG?
BIL

Post by BIL »

"Let Ass Kick Together" (Boss, Ground) and "Chop U!" (Boss, Air) are covers of COCOBAT CRUNCH and CAN'T WAKE UP, respectively. (I wish he'd covered UGLY SHIT NEED MORE PAPER for the TLB and CRY OF PAIN for Game Over :cool:)