M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Re: M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

Post by hamfighterx »

Steven wrote:Oh yeah, and while it's not really related to this release, Horii said on the stream that he's seriously thinking about doing M2 ShotTriggers Espgaluda and DoDonPachi II. Yes, DDP II AKA Bee Storm. He feels that it is worth playing/preserving, so he's seriously thinking about doing that on ShotTriggers.
I sorta like that approach. While there is no argument that Bee Storm isn't the best possible game, the preservation aspect is a worthy goal and this is a game that has never been ported. From a historical relevancy point of view, it's still part of one of the most notable STG series there is.

Also, Bee Storm was the very first game I played at Mikado (Takanadobaba). It was purely for that curiosity of never having seen it in the wild!
pulsemod wrote:galuda 1 has a great PS2 port, but honestly, they're running out of CAVE stuff that could use a modern port. still not sure why they picked DOJ over DDP either, given DOJ's two (not perfect but better than DDP's situation) ports. progear is probably never happening, so what's left? just donpachi and ibara?
Progear does have a modern port... Capcom Arcade Stadium. The big one that has never been ported is Ibara Kuro. ShotTriggers Ibara+Kuro has gotta be one of the most desired possibilities, it's certainly my #1. That, Batrider, and Bakraid feel like the holy trinity to me.

Beyond that, I think Donpachi + Dodonpachi would be nice. And I do like the idea of Espgaluda 1 getting a new port, PS2 games are a bit harder to play these days and while that was a great port for its time, it would be nicer to have the M2 full treatment.
pulsemod

M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

Post by pulsemod »

hamfighterx wrote:Progear does have a modern port... Capcom Arcade Stadium.
I'm hoping to eventually get one that feels good to play. if people want a better SDOJ a much better Progear would also be great.

some of Namiki's old tracks were replaced for being covers of other songs? but that didn't seem to be an issue for M2STG Garegga and its heavily inspired soundtrack, right?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Garegga was heavily inspired, but those Batrider songs were just straight up covers. They really weren't going to be able to get away the original music without chancing a lawsuit from the band.

The idea of an M2STG Dodonpachi II would be great. From a historical perspective, getting a rerelease would be super interesting. Too bad IGS don't seem interested in working with them to rerelease any of their own PGM games - a Knights of Valour collection, The Gladiator, Martial Masters, etc. would be unbelievable.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Udderdude wrote:I wonder if they even know half the music in DDP2 is stolen. That would all need to be replaced. I doubt it's happening.
Eh? If this is a major issue, how did more than one reputable Japanese publisher manage to release retail soundtrack CDs for Dodonpachi II? I have both the Scitron (published 2001), and Super Sweep (published much more recently, 2012) soundtracks. So... it can't be THAT big of a deal if those are getting released, right?
pulsemod wrote:
hamfighterx wrote:Progear does have a modern port... Capcom Arcade Stadium.
I'm hoping to eventually get one that feels good to play. if people want a better SDOJ a much better Progear would also be great.
I'll take any quality ports of any Cave games to current gen platforms that don't have them. But yeah, Progrear feels way less likely to get ported (again) than almost anything else, due to there already being a release from Capcom on all current gen machines (whether you or anyone else think it's a great port is not changing that). And of course, the Capcom licensing situation makes it even more unlikely that anyone else could release it.

Personally, I don't think SDOJ (360) is even that bad of a need of an improved port in the first place. Higher resolution and much better sound than the CV1000 arcade original, and a small amount of additional input lag versus the arcade (approx. 2 frames if the shmups.wiki is accurate). The later exA Arcadia release is the best one, but no chance M2 is gonna port that any time soon. If anything, maybe City Connection or Live Wire will do a port of the 360 SDOJ, similar to what we've seen with other 360 releases of CV1000 games (Deathsmiles, Akai Katana, Espgaluda II, Mushihimesama, Daifukkatsu).

I'd prefer an M2-ed out Espgaluda to either of those though. And I'd prefer previously un-ported stuff to any of them, whether that's Ibara Kuro, DDP II, or pretty much anything else.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Progear is one of my top 3 favorite Cave titles, and it's frustrating that we'll likely never get a physical version outside of the Capcom Home Arcade (if that counts, and, yes, I actually own that thing too). Post-patch, at least on Switch, it feels quite good (better than the CHA for sure) but it's hardly M2 quality.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Jonpachi wrote:Progear is one of my top 3 favorite Cave titles, and it's frustrating that we'll likely never get a physical version outside of the Capcom Home Arcade (if that counts, and, yes, I actually own that thing too). Post-patch, at least on Switch, it feels quite good (better than the CHA for sure) but it's hardly M2 quality.
Agreed. It’s tragic, really.
As an older gamer, Progear’s inaccessibility has been a spectre haunting gaming for almost as long as I can remember.
Not a fan of Capcom’s Arcade Stadium BS.
I’d love a physical release but would settle for a ShotTriggers Digital Only release.
Both are pipe-dreams.
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote:I sorta like that approach. While there is no argument that Bee Storm isn't the best possible game, the preservation aspect is a worthy goal and this is a game that has never been ported. From a historical relevancy point of view, it's still part of one of the most notable STG series there is.

Also, Bee Storm was the very first game I played at Mikado (Takanadobaba). It was purely for that curiosity of never having seen it in the wild!
Yeah, it's a weird game. They had it maybe 6~8 months ago at Taito Hey and I got to play it there. They got rid of it, though, as they cycle games in and out regularly. My beloved 1941 Counter Attack is gone as of a few weeks ago and I'm super sad!

I thought about picking up the arcade version since I figured that it would never get rereleased, but then I saw how much Tops wants for the PGM and the game and I decided that I don't want it anymore, at least not from Tops. Those guys blatantly overprice their stuff by a pretty big margin, though, so maybe I can find better prices elsewhere.

https://www.tops-game.jp/products/detai ... ct_id=4955
https://www.tops-game.jp/products/detai ... ct_id=6885
hamfighterx wrote:Personally, I don't think SDOJ (360) is even that bad of a need of an improved port in the first place. Higher resolution and much better sound than the CV1000 arcade original, and a small amount of additional input lag versus the arcade (approx. 2 frames if the shmups.wiki is accurate). The later exA Arcadia release is the best one, but no chance M2 is gonna port that any time soon. If anything, maybe City Connection or Live Wire will do a port of the 360 SDOJ, similar to what we've seen with other 360 releases of CV1000 games (Deathsmiles, Akai Katana, Espgaluda II, Mushihimesama, Daifukkatsu).
I actually rather like the 360 version; I got to play it on PCB recently and it sounds absolutely horrible! Better sound quality on 360 + the extra Type-D ship are nice, and I don't think that the lag on 360 is really all that bad either. All 360 hardware is getting old, though; that is part of why I want everything on PC; no need to worry about failing hardware, as you can just go get newly manufactured hardware, and the games will be available, in one form or another, forever.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Steven wrote:I thought about picking up the arcade version since I figured that it would never get rereleased, but then I saw how much Tops wants for the PGM and the game and I decided that I don't want it anymore, at least not from Tops. Those guys blatantly overprice their stuff by a pretty big margin, though, so maybe I can find better prices elsewhere.
Japanese region PGM games are pretty much always overpriced compared to other regions, except Spectral vs Generation. DDP2 has gotten expensive in all regions, but you can still pick up a Chinese region copy for ~$250. PGM motherboards don't have region coding and are only about $50-60. Tops are wayyyy overcharging.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Ms. Tea wrote:
Steven wrote:I thought about picking up the arcade version since I figured that it would never get rereleased, but then I saw how much Tops wants for the PGM and the game and I decided that I don't want it anymore, at least not from Tops. Those guys blatantly overprice their stuff by a pretty big margin, though, so maybe I can find better prices elsewhere.
Japanese region PGM games are pretty much always overpriced compared to other regions, except Spectral vs Generation. DDP2 has gotten expensive in all regions, but you can still pick up a Chinese region copy for ~$250. PGM motherboards don't have region coding and are only about $50-60. Tops are wayyyy overcharging.
Tops overcharges for everything, unfortunately. I hate that store, but they do seem to always get things I am interested in.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

hamfighterx wrote:
Steven wrote:Oh yeah, and while it's not really related to this release, Horii said on the stream that he's seriously thinking about doing M2 ShotTriggers Espgaluda and DoDonPachi II. Yes, DDP II AKA Bee Storm. He feels that it is worth playing/preserving, so he's seriously thinking about doing that on ShotTriggers.
I sorta like that approach. While there is no argument that Bee Storm isn't the best possible game, the preservation aspect is a worthy goal and this is a game that has never been ported. From a historical relevancy point of view, it's still part of one of the most notable STG series there is.

DDP2 has been something of a running joke at our local shmupmeets as one of the members purchased it years ago and thus it became a regular game for everyone locally to play. The overall jankiness of it does possess an odd charm, but at its core it's a glorified ROM hack. That said, if M2 are eyeing DDP2 then they should also port Demon Front while they're at it.
hamfighterx wrote:Beyond that, I think Donpachi + Dodonpachi would be nice. And I do like the idea of Espgaluda 1 getting a new port, PS2 games are a bit harder to play these days and while that was a great port for its time, it would be nicer to have the M2 full treatment.
Having a collection set that includes DP and DDP plus an arrange mode that is styled after campaign edition would definitely be appreciated. If anything, rebalancing DP's awful audio should be a priority.

If anything, re-releasing Espgaluda means that the original game can reach a wider audience, which is definitely a plus.
cfx

Post by cfx »

pulsemod wrote:galuda 1 has a great PS2 port, but honestly, they're running out of CAVE stuff that could use a modern port. still not sure why they picked DOJ over DDP either, given DOJ's two (not perfect but better than DDP's situation) ports. progear is probably never happening, so what's left? just donpachi and ibara?
As one of the only two Cave games I like, Ibara is certainly the one I want. Especially since the only port is the ugly 480i PS2 version that is also very expensive now.

I somehow feel like it will never happen though as it's seemingly one of their least popular games, at least based on how little it's ever talked about here or anywhere else.
Steven

Post by Steven »

cfx wrote:
As one of the only two Cave games I like, Ibara is certainly the one I want.
What's the other one?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

cfx wrote:As one of the only two Cave games I like, Ibara is certainly the one I want. Especially since the only port is the ugly 480i PS2 version that is also very expensive now.

I somehow feel like it will never happen though as it's seemingly one of their least popular games, at least based on how little it's ever talked about here or anywhere else.
Ibara & Ibara Kuro were on some previous ShotTriggers polls and got comments from M2 (like that silly "it's too soon" lol), and Kuro in particular gets a lot of discussion just due to being the least accessible Cave STG. Plus Ibara's port is one of the weaker ones of Cave's catalog. It seems like one of the more obvious future ShotTriggers possibilities, TBH.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

I wouldn’t mind a M2 calibre Guwange.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote:
cfx wrote:
As one of the only two Cave games I like, Ibara is certainly the one I want.
What's the other one?
Deathsmiles.

I'm not a fan of danmaku in general so the usual Cave style isn't my thing.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Ms. Tea wrote: The idea of an M2STG Dodonpachi II would be great. From a historical perspective, getting a rerelease would be super interesting. Too bad IGS don't seem interested in working with them to rerelease any of their own PGM games - a Knights of Valour collection, The Gladiator, Martial Masters, etc. would be unbelievable.
Pretty sure IGS would feel honored if M2 (or any Japanese company) approached them. Doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen as they don't have currently Japanese rep. and ultimately their games were quite unknown in Japan despite Alta efforts (or Capcom, in the case of DDP2).
Steven

Post by Steven »

cfx wrote: Deathsmiles.

I'm not a fan of danmaku in general so the usual Cave style isn't my thing.
Yeah, same. CAVE's games are good and I have played about almost all of them, but bullet hell doesn't really do anything for me. I've been trying to get into CAVE for the past month or so, mostly with Saidaioujou, but in the end I always go back to 80s Toaplan (and Out Zone) since that's the best. Dangun Feveron is pretty great, though the bullet speeds are completely insane, and I kind of like it that way, actually...
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

I was expecting either pink sweets or feveron as the response ^^;;
haven't personally been able to get into ibara before but a new release might end up changing that, I think I'd be more interested in it than DOJ at least. BOMBAAA!!!
cfx

Post by cfx »

Feveron is a possibility. I haven't played it and tend to forget it exists, but looking at a couple of play videos it looks like something I might like.

If M2 eventually does Pink Sweets I might go for that as well. Speaking in somewhat generic terms that I'm sure holes can be poked in, I like Ibara because I think it is more Battle Garegga and less typical Cave, and Pink Sweets I feel went back more in the direction of typical Cave danmaku. It's still not a DDP game though, which is a plus for my tastes, so I would be willing to try it via an M2 release.

While on the subject, I looked but sometimes it is hard to find everything and since it was mentioned above--Feveron doesn't have a Japan physical release does it? I couldn't find one.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

nope, it was released before M2STG was publishing discs physically so all it has is that western limited release...
Steven

Post by Steven »

cfx wrote:Feveron is a possibility. I haven't played it and tend to forget it exists, but looking at a couple of play videos it looks like something I might like.
It's a lot of fun, and the crazy bullet speed and potentially crazy player speed remind me of a super high-tension 1P Same! Same! Same!. It's not perfect, especially since the only ship worth really worth playing as is Type-B at one of the 2 fastest speed settings, but it's a cool game and I like it. Definitely try it since it's about as close to Toaplan as you'll get from CAVE, I think. ShotTriggers version is digital-only, sadly, unless you count Limited Run Garbage.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I'll add it to my list. I don't like how LRG does business so while I prefer physical I will buy digital and support M2 directly over giving money to LRG or their ebay scalpers.

I'll ask a question while on the subject--I am perfectly happy to pay the 4070 yen price for M2 digital as I think their work is certainly worth that. But, before I do that, are these ever in the PSN sales? I've only been checking since last summer and haven't seen anything so I am not sure. I'm willing to pay full price, but OTOH if they are on sale at some time then might as well take advantage of that too. For certain I want to get Battle Garegga and Mahou Daisakusen, and now probably Dangan Feveron.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I think they have never once gotten a discount, so if you want one of the digital M2 ShotTriggers games, just go for it any time since it's not going to get any cheaper.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Thank you. :D

Probably as good a time as any given that the exchange rate now makes PSN cards a better value than usual.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

The PSN cards were on sale during the Lunar New Year a few weeks ago. I don't know why, because it was only $0.09 (!) less than full price.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Haha, I saw that. :D

Was surprised to see it there at all as usually they only seem to have any specials on the US and Asian cards.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Lookin' for updates.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ibara is such a crazy fun game and it's a shame more people aren't playing it, so an M2 port would be interesting for that reason, if not just for the chance of including Kuro.

But aside from that I agree, Cave games don't really need any more ports. Sure DDP itself is weirdly untouched at this point so I can see why you'd make an argument for that - but focusing on literally anything other than "yet another Cave game" would be more interesting to me.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Sumez wrote:Ibara is such a crazy fun game and it's a shame more people aren't playing it, so an M2 port would be interesting for that reason, if not just for the chance of including Kuro.

But aside from that I agree, Cave games don't really need any more ports. Sure DDP itself is weirdly untouched at this point so I can see why you'd make an argument for that - but focusing on literally anything other than "yet another Cave game" would be more interesting to me.
An Ibara/Pink Sweets combo is probably the most deserving release… but, it’s my perception at least, that only the most hardcore shmup fans even know about the game.
I also think that most of the notable aspects of the game only mean something to shmup fans.

I’m not sure what percentage of the sales of these releases need to be outside the hardcore fan base in order to turn a profit, but…

Maybe CityConnection will put out a barebones release?
cfx

Post by cfx »

kid aphex wrote:
Sumez wrote:Ibara is such a crazy fun game and it's a shame more people aren't playing it, so an M2 port would be interesting for that reason, if not just for the chance of including Kuro.

An Ibara/Pink Sweets combo is probably the most deserving release… but, it’s my perception at least, that only the most hardcore shmup fans even know about the game.
I also think that most of the notable aspects of the game only mean something to shmup fans.

I’m not sure what percentage of the sales of these releases need to be outside the hardcore fan base in order to turn a profit, but…

Maybe CityConnection will put out a barebones release?
While I don't hate CityConnection as some do, here I certainly hope not, as wouldn't that mean it would just be the PS2 port converted?

As for these selling outside the hardcore fan base, do you really think many of the existing ones have done that? I bought the Aleste Collection and love it, but I can't imagine that having a wide appeal.